+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warlord Piercing Thrust

Default Warlord Piercing Thrust

Was testing a few things in Warlord and it seems Piercing Thrust isn't being buffed correctly. I'm sure this has been mentioned before and maybe someone better at maths than me can explain why it works the way it does but it seems wrong to me. Here's my quick napkin math.
    (Everything was tested with a non eternal weapon, synergy crystal removed and a pure stat trinket. I also made sure to have thick of battle and both surges active. All numbers are a rounded off average but it should paint the picture just fine)

PT base damage - average - 68k
    Warlords Focus buffs it by 350%
    Advanced Planning buffs it by 25%
    Everything is a Weapon buffs it by 100%
    It is already buffed by Tactical Surge and Power Surge
    PT Damage after all buffs applied - average - 298k (What it's actually doing)

Everything is a Weapon should be applying after all other buffs (68k+375%) + 100% like so. This should make PT hit for 646k. Say it is just added to the rest of the buffs 68k+475% however this equals 391k which is closer to the damage it is actually doing but it's still off by almost 100k.

After some more testing it looks like these buffs are being applied before even surges affect the ability. PT base damage before surges is 50k. With this we add 475% and we get 287k. Adding the extra 20% from tactical surge onto that we get 50k + 495% = 297k.

Crits are also calculated in a similar way. I only tested Piercing Thrust but other abilities may also be affected.

This is what seems to be happening and if it is intended then ignore this however, Warlord's entire gimmick is to buff PT. As it stands, PT does the least amount of damage. Both King of the Hill and Decisive Strike do more damage. A Quick Death does more damage than all three of them. Overall it is better to simply spam AQD.

Fixing Warlord
    Changing how damage is calculated seems like a strenuous task and will probably end up breaking other specs. Changing how abilities interact with each other seems to be a better way to go about this.

A Quick Death - Get rid of the finisher portion and give this ability a 3s cooldown. When used, it should buff the next Piercing Thrust by say another 150%. This should make the ability fit better as right now it's just seems random proccing ability is random.

Ready Posture - Get rid of the rng on the AQD proc and make it a guaranteed proc when using a Warlord Finisher. Hence the added cd on AQD.

Piercing Thrust - We need PT to be the next hardest hitting ability after AQD or even the other way around. It should not be below KotH and DS. Either it's damage needs to be buffed further or the damage calculation needs to be revised.

These changes should make Warlord more enjoyable and a decent dps spec. At the moment it makes people want to beat their heads against a wall trying to maximise AQD procs.
    Last edited by Waseem2k; 07-05-2018 at 08:21 AM.
    Rompalstomp - Raid Lead / Warrior Lead "Nefarious"

General of Telara

Couldn't agree more with everything you said. Piercing Thrust was supposed to be the key gimmick as you said and hits like a pillow.

Everything is a Weapon had it's stacking group changed. I think it's now additive in the bracket and not 100% of that damage if that is what you refer to there.
    Last edited by Balidin; 07-05-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balidin View Post
    Everything is a Weapon had it's stacking group changed. I think it's now additive in the bracket and not 100% of that damage if that is what you refer to there.
    Yeh but it seems like PT benefits the least from it because it needs to be buffed by a bunch of different things. I see both King of the Hill and Decisive doing roughly double damage with it active. PT only receives a small bump in damage which is really a waste of an EiaW proc.
    Last edited by Waseem2k; 07-05-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    Rompalstomp - Raid Lead / Warrior Lead "Nefarious"

+ Reply to Thread