+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Clowd
  • 2 Post By RoughRaptors
  • 2 Post By RoughRaptors
  • 2 Post By RoughRaptors
  • 3 Post By RoughRaptors
  • 1 Post By RoughRaptors

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Bug report: Prime damage reduction applies twice in specific circumstances

Default Bug report: Prime damage reduction applies twice in specific circumstances

All testing done on Omega

Abilities that proc percentage based damage from another attack are being reduced by the Prime outgoing damage reduction values. The damage being passed into these abilities has already been impacted by the prime damage reduction values, and they get impacted by them a second time when the ability is procced.

Example: A Shadeborn's Bond of Night target will take less damage than expected. If Consuming Depths deals 1000 damage, then the Bond of Night target ideally should take 300 damage (due to Consuming Depths doubling bond damage). However, the target is instead taking 300 * 0.38 = 114 damage at level 50, indicating that these effects are dealing less damage than anticipated by players.

The following abilities are most likely impacted:
    brutalize, shifting blades, arc, bond of night, vorpal slash, and bademark

---
    Reproduction steps:
    1. Cast Bond of Night on a target
    2. Use Consuming Depths on another target

Expected: The target with Bond of Night takes 30% of the damage inflicted by Consuming Depths
    Actual: The target with Bond of Night takes 38% of the expected 30% damage.

Suggestion #1: Implement a tag or a flag that will allow specific effects to bypass the Prime damage reduction values.

Suggestion #2: I think it would be ideal to implement additional entries into the level calculation table to allow these modifiers to be independently tuned between server rulesets, then provide an option to choose a starting index into this table based upon the server ruleset.
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Want something focused completely on Rift? Then join us over at the Heroes of Telara Discord!
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Clowd View Post
    The following abilities are most likely impacted:
    brutalize, shifting blades, arc, bond of night, vorpal slash, and bademark
    + Vile Spores and Ruin with Nature's Corrosion (tier 2 Chloromancer talent).

Not really a "bug" though. This is the natural result of their change to the global damage reduction. Combat calculations have always worked like this.
    Last edited by Torankusu; 05-02-2018 at 01:23 PM.

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3

Got a fix in for this, thanks. Should be in with the next patch. Let me know if there's any others after the patch goes out please!
    Last edited by RoughRaptors; 05-02-2018 at 01:57 PM.
    Previously known as SupermanSocks

Just to confirm, you meant not with the patch that was just deployed, right? The double dipping penalty is still on the PTS as of me posting this.

*At least for Vorpal Blade and Vile Spores/Ruin.
    Last edited by Scourge; 05-02-2018 at 02:24 PM.

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    Just to confirm, you meant not with the patch that was just deployed, right? The double dipping penalty is still on the PTS as of me posting this.
    Correct, it would be on the next patch. The change needs to be built and such.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRaptors View Post
    Got a fix in for this, thanks. Should be in with the next patch. Let me know if there's any others after the patch goes out please!
    Runeshapers "Rune of Smiting" appears to be affected by this double reduction.

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #7

Alright well, abilities are hard :-/. Turns out this didn't fix every case, just some of them after more thorough testing (and slightly improved some abilities as well, but not a full fix). No ETA on when it will be completed, sorry for the early excitement. Right now there seems to be something else modifying numbers that shouldn't be and I'm trying to track down what it is and why it's doing that.
    Last edited by RoughRaptors; 05-02-2018 at 03:56 PM.

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #8

Alright well, abilities are hard :-/. Turns out this didn't fix every case, just some of them after more thorough testing (and slightly improved some abilities as well, but not a full fix). No ETA on when it will be completed, sorry for the early excitement. Right now there seems to be something else modifying numbers that shouldn't be and I'm trying to track down what it is and why it's doing that.
    Ooook well that was awkward, ima just facepalm a bit and pretend like this post didn't happen. We should be good for the next PTS update. Let me know if any abilities are still not being modified as intended.

You're just upping your post count rough, I see through your ploy.

Also thanks! Quick turnaround.
    I'm ya boss baby, crank it like a chainsaw
    Rogue Moses of <Coriolis>
    "Everyone do their crafting dailies today?"
    Feed our Turtles, upload your combat logs!

10.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #10

Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    You're just upping your post count rough, I see through your ploy..
    You caught me :-(

Looking forward to this bugfix. Hoping it's deployed soon!

Ascendant

Analyze Weakness still does not reduce the 10% from Turn the blade.. 20% reduction regardless of points in analyze weakness..

Flurry has no cooldown when turn the blade is active.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxcalibur View Post
    "bros to come at me!"

Telaran

Another instance of damage reduction maybe not working the way it should, the synergy crystals which add damage to abilities instead of adding +SP/AP go through the calculation as well. Someone found this while testing the Harbinger synergy crystal. It provides less bonus damage than the crystal would have you believe and therefor makes the +SP/AP synergy crystals the go-to for dmg.

I mean, even if they were buffed/changed it would probably still be better to use the stat boosting crystals but it's food for thought.
    Strix @Vigil

From what I'm hearing on Discord, the damage reduction is also being applied to weapon procs and useable items (especially Rift consumables).

Since the values on the procs on these items and equipment haven't really changed since launch, having those values run through the damage reduction (which is meant to dampen the power creep from over the years) sounds unintended.

Is it intended to apply the damage reduction to these sorts of effects?
    Rift Datamining, dev chatter, news, and occasionally guides at The Ghar Station
    Chat with us at The Ghar Station Discord or visit us on twitter @TheGharStation
    Want something focused completely on Rift? Then join us over at the Heroes of Telara Discord!
    Clowd@Greybriar / Anadriel@Greybriar / Neganta@Greybriar

Double dipping bug was fixed (for mages at least) with the PTS update today.

+ Reply to Thread