+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Prime PTS - Mage

Telaran

Default Prime PTS - Mage

Figured we should get a thread going with mage parses, builds, and discussion. Scourge has already done a lot of the heavy lifting in his mage mega-thread. If he takes the time to post his thoughts and parses here that will certainly help consolidate feedback a bit. I'll start it off by posting a 51 warlock parse and my thoughts:

So, first off this is a lot better than the same spec on Prime currently. This spec on Prime is godawful at ~800dps. A 400 dps improvement just off dmg calcs is pretty decent.

The spec plays similarly to pyromancer but unfortunately does not get the same kind of synergy pyro and MA get from each other. Investing 51 points into warlock gets you Empowered Darkness, which is a bigger damage increase than just going to Consuming Agony and speccing MA hybrid (I tried it, it's gross to play and not any better DPS due to lack of synergy).

As for my suggestions to improve the spec to the point where it can compete with pyro, ele, and MA:

- Improve the amount of damage you get from Consuming Agony. You should be rewarded for using your procs. Pyromancer dps is massively rewarded on Cinderburst procs, why not give Warlock the same treatment?

- Improve either the Void Decimation talent or buff the damage from Void Bolt. The time you do get to spend casting primary bolts is not very rewarding after you've successfully managed your DOTs and CDs.

I feel these changes could put warlock into a very good place and give players a viable alternative to the various MA hybrid builds floating around.

Currently the MA hybrids are working so well because of the high damage afforded by Flash Fire at only 19 points invested in MA. This has strong synergy with other elemental damage based trees like Pyromancer and Elementalist.

Anyways, let's see some parses and feedback on mages.

If you're gonna post a parse/feedback please make sure you're parsing on the lvl 50 Mathosian dummy and state whether your parse is ST/multitarget, etc.
    Last edited by ironstrix; 05-01-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    Strix @Vigil

Champion

dots doing barely 30% of their tooltip damage doesn't help.

given dots need 16 seconds to do their damage there is no excuse for their damage to be so poor

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Dixa View Post
    dots doing barely 30% of their tooltip damage doesn't help.

given dots need 16 seconds to do their damage there is no excuse for their damage to be so poor
    Tooltip damage on defile is 1426. Result of one cast is:
    Strix @Vigil

My highest warlock parse included 5 points into Chloro. I'll take screenshots tonight. I was getting ~1.4k
    Nikuyo - Spitescar - 50 Rogue
    Xx - Spitescar - 50 Warrior

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Supjeremiah View Post
    My highest warlock parse included 5 points into Chloro. I'll take screenshots tonight. I was getting ~1.4k
    Would love to see it later. Just tried something myself to somewhat similar results. TBH I forgot the Chloro talent procs on death abilities as well.

Last edited by ironstrix; 05-01-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    Strix @Vigil

Telaran

If anyone who knows what's up with Harb could post some good feedback it would be much appreciated. Harb definitely needs some love in comparison to other mage souls from the small amount of testing I've done, but I have pretty much no idea how to get the most out of Harbinger.
    Strix @Vigil

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by ironstrix View Post
    If anyone who knows what's up with Harb could post some good feedback it would be much appreciated. Harb definitely needs some love in comparison to other mage souls from the small amount of testing I've done, but I have pretty much no idea how to get the most out of Harbinger.
    The DoT portion of Vorpal Slash is doing far less damage than it should. On the PTS, if a Vorpal Slash hits for 574, the DoT does 54*8 = 420 additional damage, far less than 200% the original hit. On Prime, if a Vorpal Slash hits for 550, the DoT will do 137*8 = 1096 additional damage, which is 200% the original hit, as intended. Note that Vorpal Slash has always double dipped on debuffs, so if you have Piercing beam on the boss, and your Vorpal Slash hits for 601, then the DoT hits for 166*8 = 1328, which is roughly 2*1.11 times the original hit, because the DoT also benefits from piercing beam.

It appears that on the PTS, the "RIFT Prime" buff has been reimplemented as a buff on the enemy, rather than a personal buff. This means that any ability which traditionally "double dips" on debuffs will perform very badly in normal circumstances, such as Vorpal Slash from Harbinger or Massive Blow + Brutalize from Shaman.
    Dyrnwyn@Greybriar
    Derpwin@Greybriar
    <Coriolis>
    Guild History: Dawn of Terror -> tGx -> Vendetta -> REKT -> Coriolis

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ironstrix View Post
    Tooltip damage on defile is 1426. Result of one cast is:
    tooltip damage on soul purge on prime is 3318

ticks four times for 223

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Dixa View Post
    tooltip damage on soul purge on prime is 3318

ticks four times for 223
    On PTS tooltip is 1379 for soul purge. Damage is for one cast is:
    Strix @Vigil

34 MA / 32 Ele
    Spoiler!

34 MA / 32 Pyro (add 50 dps for inferno)
    Spoiler!

43 SC / 23 MA
    Spoiler!

51 Pyro (add 50 dps for inferno)
    Spoiler!

44 Ele / 22 MA
    Spoiler!

48 Ele / 18 MA
    Spoiler!

43 Pyro / 23 MA (add 50 dps for inferno)
    Spoiler!

I'll add commentary later when I post some of the other 51 point souls, all of which are severely underperforming.

MA all day, erryday.
    Last edited by Scourge; 05-01-2018 at 07:18 PM.

Telaran

I'm assuming those are all ST Scourge? If so that's a pretty good parse from the MA/SC spec. How much aoe option does that get from SC? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how to possibly improve balance as well.
    Strix @Vigil

Rift Master

OK, so we can see that MA/something is doing just fine. I'm starting to think maybe we need to compare those with specs with no MA to see how they stack up.

MA/ele and MA/pyro and MA/SC might all play differently but they clearly get their dps superiority from MA. Balancing souls to match MA for effectiveness would be helpful.

Meant to log on and test some pyro, lock, SC, and harb numbers but pts downloading took too long so I'll try tomorrow
    Iphigeneia // Jehan // Coriolana // Cytrine@Faeblight
    "Just because I'm mad doesn't mean I'm not right!" -Sylver Valis

51 Harb is 1400. 51 Pyro is 1800. 51 Warlock is 1300. 51 Necro is probably like 1k lul. Parses will come later...maybe.
    Last edited by Scourge; 05-01-2018 at 09:38 PM.

These aren't perfect parses by any means, but they're ballpark. I don't have access to MA on PTS so I've been testing only non-MA specs.

51 Archon / 13 Pyro / 2 Ele: ~1.2-1.3k

51 Pyro / 12 SC / 3 Harb: ~1.8k

51 Harb / 15 Ele / 0 Pyro: ~1.4k

51 Necro / 15 Ele / 0 whocares: 1.1k

51 SC / 8 Harb / 7 Ele on 5 targets: ~5.5-6k

51 SC / 8 Harb / 7 Ele on 8 targets: ~8.5k (higher probably possible)

51 SC / 8 Harb / 7 Ele on 1 target: ~1.3-1.4k (higher definitely possible, esp. with different spec)

edit: Also for full disclosure, it has come to my attention that I'm a cheating cheater because I opened three boxes to get two of the non-unique equip lessers in place of the greaters (less RNG, man!).
    Last edited by Torankusu; 05-01-2018 at 11:16 PM.

There's something weird going on with Pyromancer's Vengeance. 5 stacks should boost your proc chance for Cinderburst to 30%, but it seems significantly higher than that when you're up to 5 stacks. The highest DPS MA hybrid and the highest DPS non-MA build both are using these procs, so if there's something broken here it'd be nice to know so we don't get a mid-tier "bugfix" that cripples the calling.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast