+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Draw Distance Increase

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Default Draw Distance Increase

With today's update, draw distance in dimensions has increased by approximately 500%. I've noticed load times change in some dimensions for the better, for the worse in others, in most about the same. Overall, VERY impressed with this.

From Live:
    Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-11_180854.jpg

On PTS:
    Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-11_173337.jpg
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel
    The DTC: Dimension Tours - Building Tips

Baradara@Greybriar

I will try to copy a character whose dim would benefit from this.

I tried to make a polar dim in several dims, but could not do my project because the ice walls have a very short draw distance, and my terraformation was not visible from the spawn point or from the other side of the dim.
    Will this change affect everything in the dim? or are some objects different from others for the distance max to be seen?
    I think especially of big rocks and Tarken ice blocks, because I love terraforming, but if everything is visible from one side to the other in big dims, I will love you devs forever... and send you virtual cookies
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 05-12-2017 at 03:46 AM.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, à la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Finally able to see my necrotic tower from afar.

Still, only one complain: you need to equalized the viewing distance. As of now on pts (Necropolis on Shanor) from the starting point, you cannot see all the item making up the tower. Still way better than before as you actually see something, but some item will only show when you get at the foot of the tower.
    Shanor@Brisesol
    Maître Mage de l'Ordre Draconique
    L'Ordre Draconique - Guilde PvE/PvP à forte vocation jeux de rôle.
    http://www.lagardedraconique.org/

I tried with one of my terraformed dims.

As Shanor says, some objects don't draw at same distance as others, and this is a very problematic thing on live.
    You see the dim like it is meant to be seen on the PTS screenshot, but on the live screenshot, the mountain doesn't show, some rocks do and other don't, trees show but the pirate wall doesn't, and there are many other things like this.
    I will try with the ice mountains to see if the PTS distance is enough.

screenshots taken at spawn point.
    Dim : fort zarnost beach (open on PTS if you want to visit)
    character : Syel

Dim on live
    Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-12_150336.jpg

dim on PTS (please DO IT!!)
    Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-12_151755.jpg

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, à la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Plane Walker

Tempest Island dim it has at least 2 draw problems live:
    Last edited by Marnth; 05-12-2017 at 06:57 AM.
    .... ...

Sword of Telara

I can't copy characters with more than an few full builds, so I had to try with one that doesn't have the ones with loading issues or draw distance issues (I started building on her when I was aware of the issue ;) )

So far: loading seems fine, the damned giant glaciers seem to work just fine now (wooohooo), I can even place an entry point on it and not fall through. (tier 4 dimension) a dimension where I used draw distance to make stuff seem further away ... well, now I see everything from everywhere, except from baobab trees. but since it's an impressive view I don't care too much (I shouldn't rely on bugs in builds in the first place anyway, haha!)

okay, now distance stuff on another dim where I made pictures on live and pts to show differences - on horse:
    PTS:
    Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-12_183448.jpg
    Live:
    Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-12_183738.jpg
    PTS:
    Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-12_183500.jpg
    Live:
    Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-12_183747.jpg
    PTS - now I can see everything:
    Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-12_183536.jpg
    Live:
    Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-12_183800.jpg
    ...and I had to go this far to see everything...
    Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-12_183820.jpg

edit: since I can see the glacier in subzero too on live (though I didn't dare to put an entry point on it ;) ) I'll have to try that out in another dimension first before I can call it fixed ;-)
    Last edited by Maegwynn; 05-12-2017 at 09:06 AM.
    Alliandre - Brutwacht
    My Dimensions
    New! "Tartaros" and "Tick Tock" by Alliendre, "A Dragon's Treasure" by Luisa and "Vogelzug" by Jaodya

Champion of Telara Holyroller12's Avatar

Unfortunately we don't get to transfer over guild dimensions to be PTS because that's where this could really be tested for me personally, but here's what I got. The blue crystals go all the way up the tower, but those stay the same while the object in the sky is slightly more visible. First pic is Live and the 2nd is PTS

https://imgur.com/a/rSZCO
    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

I agree that being able to transfer over a guild dimension--especially a Caer Kholum that's at a full 4k or Golem Foundry/Halls of Shaping at 5k--would be a true test of how long it takes things to load.

Or even a guild already on PTS being allowed to use a Golem Foundry/Halls of Shaping to make a dim to test.

I think just using personal dimensions to test is not going to do it proper justice.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel
    The DTC: Dimension Tours - Building Tips

Baradara@Greybriar

General of Telara

The draw distance is still a bit of a mixed bag on PTS.
    While overall it is a vast improvement, there cleary are additional rules for how far items are actually rendered.

Some observations so far:
    • Some item disappear although you can still have them selected, so they're not out of editing range, yet they won't render. Anong them were some rather huge droughtland rock formations I found in Feendish's dim for Uncle Stan's Lure loot.
    • Most larger trees do have low-detail versions that shows beyond a certain distance, it is clear they were made to be seen from great distance, while smaller ones still tend to disappear early. Some outliers too like Ember Isle Tree.
    • While I didn't do 1:1 comparison yet, framerates so far were fine. In fact, in the Uncle Stan dim mentioned above, the ground clutter (lots of grass in this case) pulled down my FPS more than all of the placed items, and those were >1500 mostly unique ones.
    • Effects like Stained Glass Wall Projections still fade at a mere 50m unfortunately.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S6T...ature=youtu.be

Now we just need to get rid of this shadow line that shows up around 25-30m infront of the player (near top of screen).
    Last edited by Boase; 05-12-2017 at 04:39 PM.
    T for Trinity
    42k Achievement Points Club
    I has stream https://www.twitch.tv/boase Add me on GW2 Boase.6204 or Bnet Boase!#1862

Rift Disciple

As this cannot be tested on the PTS with guild dimensions I would prefer this not going live. Our guild dimension has many effects, a relocated start point, and is above ground. This causes many of us to fall through the floor upon entry, unless settings are turned down. An increased draw distance could make this worse and unless it is fully tested and guaranteed not to adversely affect huge live builds (guild dimensions) I do not want all the work we put into building our dimension going to waste.

If this change is inevitable, make it happen no sooner than July as our dimension has been entered in a contest. That should give people time to view it once it is opened on 20 June.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Serpent View Post
    As this cannot be tested on the PTS with guild dimensions I would prefer this not going live. Our guild dimension has many effects, a relocated start point, and is above ground. This causes many of us to fall through the floor upon entry, unless settings are turned down. An increased draw distance could make this worse and unless it is fully tested and guaranteed not to adversely affect huge live builds (guild dimensions) I do not want all the work we put into building our dimension going to waste.

If this change is inevitable, make it happen no sooner than July as our dimension has been entered in a contest. That should give people time to view it once it is opened on 20 June.
    Falling through the floor with an entry point being above ground has nothing to do with draw distance, not to mention surely a change that has been requested and longed for by so many dimmers, should it prove successful, cannot just be reconsidered or postponed because of one single dimension?
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Did some testing today.

Loading is fine in my two lv 5 full-of-items dims: Castle fortune and Shoreward island. Even faster than live.
    Tested in some full dims I know without any problem.

Drawing distance seems good for the Enormous Snowy glacier cliffs than were my primary concern. I need to test them in Ground zero.

Terraforming Edgestone Ridge (character Jiriki) (screens taken at spawn point):

on PTS it renders like it is intended.
    Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-14_125509.jpg

Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-14_125556.jpg

Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-14_125607.jpg

on live the cliffs don't show far enough in the background and below
    Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-14_125047.jpg

Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-14_125059.jpg

Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-14_125117.jpg

Tried in my Anywhere storage dim, seems that in Anywhere the new distance is enough to see everything from the central spawn point, but there are still some things not showing while other things at same distance do.

The new distance is also better in Shoreward Island, because it removes the landscape blurring on the horizon. Beautiful view on Sanctum and Meridian from the tower

Draw Distance Increase-2017-05-14_140713.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    The blue crystals go all the way up the tower, but those stay the same while the object in the sky is slightly more visible. First pic is Live and the 2nd is PTS

https://imgur.com/a/rSZCO
    I have a similar problem with my Shoreward Island dim, but I suspect the culprit is the individual rendering distance some things have.
    On PTS from the spawnpoint I put below, I see perfectly my tower and some additions I made to it (not visible on live), but one machine on the second floor is not showing. It should.

Seems if this change goes live (I hope^^) we dimensioners will have to make a list of every object not rendering properly. If this was just a value to set on everything, I suppose it would already have been done.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 05-14-2017 at 04:57 AM.

Telaran

Does anyone really care if the dimensions take a few extra moments to load if we get as much view distance as possible once loaded? I don't. Max it out.

And while your at it, increase the unique (40) cap to (80).
    Last edited by Dimensions; 05-14-2017 at 09:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast