+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: OFFICIAL: Intrepid Rise of the Phoenix

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #46
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by SFBETA View Post
    So what is the intention behind having 2 "different" rings/earrings for each class if you only can equip 1 of them. I would call it an excuse for a lazy copy and paste error but itemization was never Trion`s fortitude.

Btw I hope you not released the dagger from Beruhast like it was on PTS otherwise you maybe want to check and question who slept while changing the stats and upgrade path of this item ;)

#Vladd didn't like to fix it so it is now intended
    I don't usually respond to troll posts like this but the response will have info that will be relevant to other players so here goes...

Yes, you can only equip 1 ring and 1 earring off the Seething Cores. However, there are different grades of each item determined by the "of the X" suffix. Each suffix carries with it a different stat allocation. Commonly, you'll get the "of the Hero" or "of the Preserver" with Preserver carrying a stronger allocation to END for tanks. Not to say that the Hero suffix can't be used by tanks but folks who want to maximize their END will seek it out. On the other side for DPS, there are 3 rarer suffixes that put more of the item budget towards main stat. Those being Vindicator, Conqueror, and Overlord. So, while you are farming Seething Cores for engines, fragments, and shards, you also have a chance of getting a slot upgrade as well.

Again, the loot on these mini-bosses along with them respawning IS intended and was designed around the concept of them being farmed.

Some folks might have noticed that Brasse slipped up the other day and let the cat out of the bag about Normal Mode Tartaric depths. One of the differences that this mode will have over LFR is that there are 3 new mini-bosses... just like the Seething Cores. As you might have guessed after reading that line, they will drop rings and earrings as well. Those items can be equipped with the ones dropped by Seething Cores thus rounding out itemization on those slots since (Spoiler Alert!) NM TD will also be Tier 1.

With the inclusion of NM TD into Tier 1, we changed up all of the loot that came out of iRotP some weeks ago so that each raid will cover certain slots and to ensure that a single raid wouldn't be a one stop shop for all items. As folks progress more frequently into iRotP, they'll discover what slots are covered and which ones aren't. This should give an idea about what can be expected to drop in NM TD.

The loot boxes on PTS still have the old gear in them and are not set up like the boss loot tables are now... which have the suffixes with budget allocations. This will mean that items out of them might not have any stats on them aside from Hit. When the suffix is applied, it also handles the stat allocation so seeing a "blank" item is nothing to be alarmed about. If it was on a live server, then yes, be alarmed and let us know ASAP. It being on PTS out of a test gear box is not alarming though.

In summary, we put a lot of thought and effort into making the loot from iRotP (as well as the forthcoming NM TD) interesting and compelling. To hand wave it as being "lazy" or "because I or the team didn't want to fix something" is, well, fantasy.
    Lead Designer - RIFT

Quote Originally Posted by dundare View Post
    "Way to Necro threads" +1
    I thought Elrar was back for a minute , then saw the thread create date
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrar View Post
    - until then you might see some general weirdness (technical term, haha).

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Vladd View Post
    In summary, we put a lot of thought and effort into making the loot from iRotP (as well as the forthcoming NM TD) interesting and compelling. To hand wave it as being "lazy" or "because I or the team didn't want to fix something" is, well, fantasy.
    Thanks for the ARPG loot explanation. So when will the drop items get a set boni if they are upgraded? There are quite a few missing the boni.

Soulwalker

Yes, you can only equip 1 ring and 1 earring off the Seething Cores. However, there are different grades of each item determined by the "of the X" suffix. Each suffix carries with it a different stat allocation. Commonly, you'll get the "of the Hero" or "of the Preserver" with Preserver carrying a stronger allocation to END for tanks.
    Thanks for the clarification but what happened to the philosophy of reducing the need to have multiple sets of gear for tanking and DPS. This goes directly against that if "of the Hero" is DPS oriented and "of the Preserver" is tank oriented.

I was able to accept that I have to have 2 focus, 2 seals, two weapon sets (Warrior & Cleric) AND 2 sets of fragments. But now I am hearing I need to have 2 sets of rings and earrings (one for DPS and one for Tank). If this is accurate then I am really disappointed.

I get the idea that I could use "Hero" to tank or "Preserver" to DPS, but for those of us that like to maximize our effectiveness you are making it harder for us.

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #50
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Jeluth View Post
    Thanks for the clarification but what happened to the philosophy of reducing the need to have multiple sets of gear for tanking and DPS. This goes directly against that if "of the Hero" is DPS oriented and "of the Preserver" is tank oriented.

I was able to accept that I have to have 2 focus, 2 seals, two weapon sets (Warrior & Cleric) AND 2 sets of fragments. But now I am hearing I need to have 2 sets of rings and earrings (one for DPS and one for Tank). If this is accurate then I am really disappointed.

I get the idea that I could use "Hero" to tank or "Preserver" to DPS, but for those of us that like to maximize our effectiveness you are making it harder for us.
    The difference here is that having either is not a requirement because there aren't tertiary stats such as Guard, Dodge, or Block to denote the item as "tank only". You can tank with an Overlord Piece just as you can a Preserver piece. The player makes the determination if having both is a priority for them since the absence of tertiary stats on an item is no longer systemically enforcing it as role specific. This makes itemization a bit more compelling because as folks are running iRotP for their upgrades, they have a chance at getting an item that is "better"... which is, again, subject to personal judgment and determination.
    Lead Designer - RIFT

Telaran

The good thing about this system is that most of our raiding guild members were angry about it and the ones who got Hero/Preserver stuff were sad.

How about introducing 8 additional ring slots? I mean with normal TD you can have 1 different ring for one Finger :P

The by far better option would be make a common ring with 2 upgrade paths with end heavy and mainstat heavy path and one rare ring with the same paths just more end or mainstat. So much less frustrating for players!
    Last edited by SFBETA; 05-11-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Rift Master

In my personal opinion removing all tertiary stats from gear but having slight variations makes loot drops anything but compelling. We now just have a rather linear upgrade path with, 'get next item with 20% more strength'. No more cool trinkets with interesting procs or useables. No more "ooh look at all the crit power". Everything is vanilla and not very fun. Fun, I remember fun, suddenly alive, happiness arrive, hunger like a storm..... erm I mean..... Paired with the fragment system of which my thoughts are well known on these forums, compelling is the last word I would use with gear

Yes I pounced on that a bit and it's also a bit unfair perhaps and I am sorry about that but it's just how I feel about the current system. Some info on how the fragment system is being altered might change my view a bit.

Oh and 5 tokens for one roll when we get 10(?) a week leaves a bad taste dude : /
    Last edited by Balidin; 05-11-2017 at 04:11 PM.

King of Slackers

Quote Originally Posted by SFBETA View Post
    The by far better option would be make a common ring with 2 upgrade paths with end heavy and mainstat heavy path and one rare ring with the same paths just more end or mainstat. So much less frustrating for players!
    I hope you mean 2 upgrade paths on top of the existing upgraded rings/earrings. Still having too many amender and engines in my inventory
    Last edited by keepor; 05-11-2017 at 05:15 PM.
    Keepro - King of Slackers - NewHorizons
    Youtube
    Twitch
    Ghar Station Discord

9.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #54
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Balidin View Post
    ..compelling is the last word I would use with gear

Oh and 5 tokens for one roll when we get 10(?) a week leaves a bad taste dude : /
    Notice that I said a bit more compelling. What motivates some might not have the same effect on others. We know that with the removal of tertiary stats that gear became rather bland. This is partially an intended side effect of making gear "universal". However, that doesn't mean that we aren't going to try different things to make it less bland. Getting an upgrade item should feel really good (the stat increases should accomplish some of that) but it should have another factor on top of it that tertiary stats had. So, we added a little bit of chance to get a different budget allocations.

In short, we're trying something new. Let us know how it feels in a few months after you've been in the system for awhile and played with. If it doesn't have the desired effect, we'll either change it or try something else. =)

As for the IRC cost on Seething Cores, personally, I was gonna go with 10 to start. They are infinitely farmable. The only thing you have to do is wait 15 minutes for the instance to reset and you can go back to it. However, I settled on 5 and that feels like the right price point for what you are getting compared to an LFR boss kill at 2.
    Lead Designer - RIFT

Telaran

In short, we're trying something new. Let us know how it feels in a few months after you've been in the system for awhile and played with.
    I think I heard the same words as we raised concerns about the Planar Fragment system

As for the IRC cost on Seething Cores, personally, I was gonna go with 10 to start. They are infinitely farmable. The only thing you have to do is wait 15 minutes for the instance to reset and you can go back to it. However, I settled on 5 and that feels like the right price point for what you are getting compared to an LFR boss kill at 2.
    So we can expect that some stuff will cost 20-30 irc by the end of the expansion?

Telaran

The Seething Cores will respawn when the instance of iRotP is started no matter if you've cleared the instance already. This is by design.
    I appreciated the response to the other thread. As well as +1 to the necro comment. My skills were not strong enough to bring back elrar though.

Seems like the only place to post this without making a new thread.

Guild did IRoTP today. Zero boss kills. It certainly requires a full team with more than TD gear. You need most of your peeps geared out with essence and frags and should probably focus on getting the eternals upgraded as far as you can. A few players with adequate gear will not be enough, especially for first boss dps check on the major footholds. This is going to take alot of guilds a long time to start clearing this place. I dont know the exact dps check number but unless all of your dpsers are well over 500k dps I wouldnt even try the first boss.

Everyone in our group had almost full TD gear, a few pieces here or there and a few upgrades missing, but we do lack frags because of the fear of upgrading them and a bunch needed some essence work. Nobody has the eternal quality weapon in our guild yet ,most just finished wicket or are halfway through the SPE part. We were super excited to get to work on this. and a little sad to realize we are not ready. Back to farming for awhile.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Poshy View Post
    Everyone in our group had almost full TD gear, a few pieces here or there and a few upgrades missing, but we do lack frags because of the fear of upgrading them and a bunch needed some essence work. Nobody has the eternal quality weapon in our guild yet ,most just finished wicket or are halfway through the SPE part. We were super excited to get to work on this. and a little sad to realize we are not ready. Back to farming for awhile.
    Just skip first boss and do the golems and Beruhast+Silgen they are easier than the first boss in terms of dps...just use shield healer like lib for Silgen and if you need 4 heals; enrage is nearly not existent(15min I heard).

Xly
    Telaran

The rings are not flagged as "unique equip family" (or whatever this used to be called). That means that in order to know that you can't wear more than one, you need to read the forums. Nice job.

Additionally, they can't even be changed by loadequip / Roles Addon / right-click because "Only one item of this type can be equipped at a time". Well programmed.

I for one feel cheated out of 2 Engines, wouldn't have upgraded the tank ring if I had known that I can wear only one of them.

Rift Master

Notice that I said a bit more compelling.

In short, we're trying something new. Let us know how it feels in a few months after you've been in the system for awhile and played with. If it doesn't have the desired effect, we'll either change it or try something else. =)
    Yeah for sure. That is why it was a bit unfair. I am glad you guys are aware of how bland the loot system is currently (which includes fragments) and I do welcome attempts to make it better I perfer the old system to be honest as you probably realised and would love to go back to it. Personal loot with spec selection (so you select tank and drops for you come from a tank pool of items) would be great. If we are sticking with the vanilla item approach, improving/changing the fragment system to be less... well depressing and anxiety inducing would definitly be a step in the right direction.

Any chance we could get a little preview of any changes to Fragments?

Bali
    Last edited by Balidin; 05-12-2017 at 01:07 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast