+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: OFFICIAL TEST TODAY 3/15, 3pm PST: PVP 3 vs 3 (for potential tournament!)

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Default OFFICIAL TEST TODAY 3/15, 3pm PST: PVP 3 vs 3 (for potential tournament!)

Hey folks!

Keyens and I have been talking about putting together a PvP tournament - he has set up a slapdash arena for testing, and we hope that some of you fine folks have time to help test today!

3:00 PM PST TODAY, March 15, Public Test Server
    Keyens will work out whether to run 3v3 or 3v3v3 once he sees how many people are interested.

DRAFT of the rules, absolutely, totally subject to probable and almost inevitable changes - your comments are very welcome:

PVP Mode Overview:

Welcome to the Tournament of the Ascended! Competetors will battle in either the 3v3 bracket or the 3v3v3 Round Robin Bracket.

3v3 Rules
    • Participants must have the "Keyens Arena" buff applied to them to participate.
    • Role swapping is forbidden except between rounds.
    • Respawning is allowed and encouraged.
    • Each round will be 5 minutes in duration, with a 2 minute intermission between rounds for the teams to adjust builds.
    • Bracket matches are best of 3. Semi Finals are best of 5. Finals are best of 7.
    • Rounds are scored based on which team has the lowest number of death points.
    • Teams that actively avoid fighting or otherwise dishonor the spirit of the contest will be disqualified at the discretion of the referee.

3v3v3 Round Robin
    • Rules are the same as above with one exception.
    • Scoring has changed. The team who wins a round (lowest points) is awarded two pips, the team who comes in second is awarded 1 pip, the team who comes in last is awarded zero pips. After all the round robin games are completed, the top 3 teams play a single round to determine the winner of the tourney.

As to the inevitable question, hehe...
    Why are we doing this NOW? Well, Trion is moving studios this week (just down the road) and as equipment, personnel and desks get uprooted in the tornado, it is impossible to work on the longer term projects. Besides, PvP is always fun!
    ;-)#
    Brasse

ps. please keep feedback on this thread limited to THIS TEST and the planned event, not for PvP issues in general. Thankee! =)
    Last edited by TrionBrasse; 03-15-2017 at 10:21 AM.

2.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #2

To those who are interested please post in this thread with the 3 characters who are on your team. You can then edit your post after the test to contain your feedback. This will help me keep things moving smoothly when the test starts.
    Systems Designer - Rift
    Warriors and Rogues for life!

Quote Originally Posted by Keyens View Post
    To those who are interested please post in this thread with the 3 characters who are on your team. You can then edit your post after the test to contain your feedback. This will help me keep things moving smoothly when the test starts.
    I am interested, but not available today. I have been working on getting some other pvp'ers to volunteer, but so far the ones who are most interested are unavailable. More people might be willing if we'd had a bit more notice. I think the rest are lacking the incentive for different reasons.

Still trying to get someone to group up and participate over there!
    Shenoah@Deepwood
    GM - Hello Kitty
    ~how did I end up here, again?~

Rift Disciple

I'd like to but don't have a team

There are a ton of people in warfronts today but I'm betting not many of them read the forums

Plane Walker

Id be up for joining someone for funs. Warrior dps/ heal but havent played on pts with changes yet.
    Last edited by Strikey; 03-15-2017 at 01:24 PM.
    Strikes@Typhiria Impossibruu@Typhiria Huhuhuh@Laeyths Strikez@Deepwood Primes@Deepwood

Fun feature. Could definitely see myself playing again if this makes it into live, still very much a work in progress though with healing/dps values but could be some great fun.
    ~Xclusive
    ~The Cult x Coriolis x Ominous

Had fun. With enough lead time might have been able to get some guildies online for testing. Nerfing fairy healer was just mean, tho'. lol

Rift Chaser

Default some food for thought

first and foremost pts is a tough spot to gauge effectiveness of a system because i had several abilities that were not firing. as a 61 harb ethereal blast and sparking destruction were my top 2 damaging abilities....vengeful shock and vilespores never went off so that might have made the hp buff players get seem pretty huge as i couldnt output much damage.

this was a really fun mini event to test out but im not sure how much support a 3v3 arena will get from the community and if its worth dedicating the resources to run it....the timeline of the when this event goes live and the interaction of gear/class balance is a concern as specs will be going through a major change shortly.

that being said please dont threaten to eject players that are giving feedback and asking questions. you may have been busy trying to run the test but there were other people in the area that could respond to conversation. if you dont want more than the competing teams in the zone dont bring them in make a waiting room or something then. that just left a really bad taste in my mouth to get threatened to be removed FROM DOING YOU A FAVOR, i didnt have to be there helping out.

imo there needs to be a 5sec respawn timer or something to reward you for getting a kill. as is it feels like dying is more a reward than a penalty, aside from the point system, since you immediately come back stronger and with full hp.

something needs to be done about heals its way too strong with the large health pools people have. a coordinated strong 3man pvp group can go in there and literally not die the entire duration it opens the grey subjective area to what is cheese/avoiding fighting. is going 2 tank heals and a tank avoiding fighting? is going 3 ST healers avoiding fighting. is going 3 sins and stealthing/nuking one person and repeating avoiding fighting?

i also didnt understand why there was such a massive hp buff.

if any what interaction does gear type have with this arena format
    Last edited by makerofwidows; 03-15-2017 at 03:32 PM.

So feedback...

First of all, need more notice. With no incentive, you already have a fewer pool of players willing to show up.

As for the actual 3v3, one bad player will destroy a team because of the scoring system. Basically you can just farm one bad player over and over and just ignore anyone capable of keeping themselves alive. Additionally, spec balance is far more important than in warfronts. If the health pools are going to be that high, some of the healing needs to be looked at. For example, Enduring Brew... It's on a 1 minute cooldown and heals for 48k or ~6% of my entire health pool.

I definitely think the instant respawn is good, it keeps the pace up. I didn't like it before the healing nerf so that change was definitely good. In our last match, I thought ttk was in a pretty good spot, better than wfs for sure.

My biggest concern is popularity. I think at first, you might get a few interested, but after a short while, it'll fall into the same situation that Ranked BG fell into. There simply aren't enough players interested, especially if there isn't really an incentive.
    R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by makerofwidows View Post
    imo there needs to be a 5sec respawn timer or something to reward you for getting a kill. as is it feels like dying is more a reward than a penalty, aside from the point system, since you immediately come back stronger and with full hp.

something needs to be done about heals its way too strong with the large health pools people have.

i also didnt understand why there was such a massive hp buff.
    Seems like some contradicting information. If people aren't dying, then a death is a huge penalty. In our matches, we had very few deaths while in yours, you guys had 12-15 deaths per match. A 5s respawn timer would kill the pace of the match and it would make it easier for one team to farm the other.

As for the heals, I thought our last match was decent from a healing standpoint. And as for the health pools, it artificially increased the length of fights, allowing Keyens to get a better idea of how matches will go. I liked where ttk was so I'd be fine with the health pools, assuming balance is looked at.
    R.I.P.

Plane Walker

Man I got internet problems at the moment so after our game I couldnt see parses and didnt learn much becasue of dc :/

Maybe pts could have this as like a monthly thing and the Devs can see the specs from players in action so the game could be more balanced in pvp? Imo pvp > spreadsheet.
    Strikes@Typhiria Impossibruu@Typhiria Huhuhuh@Laeyths Strikez@Deepwood Primes@Deepwood

Ascendant

Couldn't test this, and I'm not sure if I'll ever play this (because no team/guild, I always queue solo or with +1 rl friend) but if something is gonna come out of it, this is the key :
    Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    With no incentive, you already have a fewer pool of players willing to show up.
    The whole challenge/competition thing only sparks interest for a while, then everyone know where they stand and that's the end of the interest.

Good teams will know they destroy other teams so there's no point if no rewards, and bad teams know they get destroyed by other teams so there's even less point and no fun.

There needs to be something more than just the challenge.

also pls gib all warfronts back on rotation

In the future please give a week, or even two weeks notice. Make an announcement out of it or something. This no notice, same day announcement is not good at all. I and many other players ( I imagine) missed out because of it and thus can provide no feedback at all.

It's getting hard to keep playing a game where the devs seem so intent on not communicating with their players.
    Internet 101 : If anyone disagrees with you, they must be angry that you're right.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Meamir View Post
    Had fun. With enough lead time might have been able to get some guildies online for testing. Nerfing fairy healer was just mean, tho'. lol
    Clerics still actually test their class on PTS? Last time I checked they nerfed shaman to nearly unplayable when they did the twisted souls debuff test and they haven't recovered ever since. In real life, cleric won't have a position in 3v3 anyway/ The other classes are just better.

My only feedback is that premades should have been limited to 3 players years ago.
    Last edited by Aedynn; 03-16-2017 at 01:49 AM.

Hopefully they add this. It would be fun

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast