+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Wardrobe Dyes: Feedback

Default Wardrobe Dyes: Feedback

Starting this for anyone who cares about the new dye re-work. Post any wardrobe pieces that still aren't dying properly.

As you can see in the screenshot, the Dark Reaper's helm finally dyes exceptionally white instead of grey, but Froskeeper's Hauberk and Ahnket Chestguard don't. These are 2 wardrobes that I personally use often, but I'll start looking through more. The Light Goldenrod on the Hauberk doesn't dye properly either.

Edit
    Frostkeeper's Chestguard - Same Issue
    Fallen EinherjarSet - The entire set doesn't really dye the way it should.

Last edited by Holyroller12; 02-11-2017 at 01:55 PM.
    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

I don't like the way new dyes work on PTS. It's like you're applying matte paint, which evens out darker and lighter regions, resulting in less contrast, less gloss, and less texture. Features like creases and stitches become barely visible, etc.

It makes it a bit difficult to test wardrobe pieces out on PTS. Most of the ones I normally have on live are missing from the collection. Even if I copy new characters over. It's been that way for a long time now.
    (70) Holyroller | (70) Kelten | (70) Irohh | (70) Hoehenheim | (70)Avattar@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    It makes it a bit difficult to test wardrobe pieces out on PTS. Most of the ones I normally have on live are missing from the collection. Even if I copy new characters over. It's been that way for a long time now.
    Wardrobe items aren't bound to a character.. they're bound to a region, and from what I understand stored in a different place. The PTS copy command hasn't been updated (and maybe can't be updated) to help out there.

It would be nice if all wardrobe items were just unlocked for PTS characters. Here's another difference between Live (left) and PTS (right). On most items dyes now actually are the same as on the palette, though as you, I have very few appearances on PTS to test with. It does make using dyes a lot less painful.

A Rift screenshot collection.

Watch me on Twitch

Shadowlander

Nevermind, misread something.
    Last edited by SwiftOwl; 02-14-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Wow Vivi, that is a pretty big loss in detail! I hope that is just a graphic thing on PTS and not how the wardrobe items will actually look. My Mage is currently wearing a beautiful wardrobe set that I love simply for the detail and patterning on her robes! If that went away, or was faded, I'd be super sad!

My Telaran Lore and History Blog, with a side of RP storytelling!=http://ascendedtales.blogspot.ca/201...beginning.html

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisectrice View Post
    I don't like the way new dyes work on PTS. It's like you're applying matte paint, which evens out darker and lighter regions, resulting in less contrast, less gloss, and less texture. Features like creases and stitches become barely visible, etc.
    Was this problem with details on PTS also seen when trying to change dye colors, especially to something whiter?

Even on live, some colors (or shades of a color) I've seen sometimes give similar effects to what you described ("evens out darker and lighter regions [or lessens contrast between the two], resulting in less contrast, less gloss, and less texture"). Gray to darker shades of grey (especially, and similar, to the grey colors seen on your PTS pictures, especially the grey color on the more "furry/fluffy" parts [for lack of a better adjective/noun currently] in the 1st PTS photo) was one of those culprits in my experience (sometimes dependent on wardrobe piece).
    I asked about this, since dyes on many (though not all, as the OP shared) are getting closer to the colors on the wardrobe palettes as MisterWibble shared, and consequently changing the shade of the color compared to live, (granted, there could be some wardrobes with regards to dyes on PTS that are still off, like with the grey-instead-of-white parts in the OP's examples).

[Edit] Nevermind my question. Double-checked with a quickly created character on PTS, and changing shade or color of the dye didn't seem to help alleviate or lessen the matte-paint-like factor. Pardon me for yet another redundant and not helpful post on this topic. If anyone has permissions or capability, feel free to delete this post.
    Last edited by SwiftOwl; 02-15-2017 at 06:41 AM.

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #8
    Rift Team

Default Thank you!

Thank you for the feedback!

We're trying our best to balance preserving detail vs. providing a more accurate dye colors especially for items which were dying too dark. We're already making adjustments based on your comments.

Armor sets are going in in batches, so far most Costume, Chain, Plate and Cloth are in and adjustments are still being made on those as well as the rest upcoming.

Thanks so much again!
    Last edited by BlazingOctopus; 02-15-2017 at 10:09 AM.

9.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #9
    Rift Team

Default Progress Report!

Hey all!

So based on what you've said here we've made some changes to preserve detail better, here's an image showing the change:

Wardrobe Dyes: Feedback-screen-shot-02-15-17-11.57-am-002.jpg

(Both swatches set to "White")
    Note: The values for the pre-comment shot are a little brighter than they appeared, cause adjustments had been in progress.
    Last edited by BlazingOctopus; 02-15-2017 at 12:08 PM.

10.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #10
    Rift Team

Default Another example:

Wardrobe Dyes: Feedback-screen-shot-02-15-17-11.15-am-001.jpg

Example with some more colorful dye choices.

I am sooooo excited

First off. Thank you very much for the replies. I have a related and aching question that I've been hoping to get answered someday. I don't suspect that we'll be getting third dye options anytime soon, but I was wondering if it's technically possible to turn the left over wardrobes that currently have third trims that can't be dyed, into versions that can? The example below if changed would be all of the black spaces = Main dye and all of the gold parts that normally can't be dyed would be the secondary. There's quite a few like this out there and it throws off the themes people are usually going for. I would love to use the one in the picture myself lol.

Last edited by Holyroller12; 02-16-2017 at 12:35 AM.

Champion

I use exceptional dyes very often, for vibrant intense colors, and I find ex. white to be gray on some armors (seems solved, thank you) or so bright than I have to switch to normal white or be blinded
    second version was too bright, third seems good.
    Is this screenshot made with normal white or exceptional white?
    Yellow are also tricky dyes. often dull. seems good too.

I hope you will make colors to be shiny on metal gear. matte rendering is ok on cloth, but on metal or leather, you need a glossy effect for realism. Golden armors need to be gold, not yellow paint.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 02-16-2017 at 01:56 AM.

14.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #14
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    Is this screenshot made with normal white or exceptional white?
    These were made with normal white.

15.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #15
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Holyroller12 View Post
    I was wondering if it's technically possible to turn the left over wardrobes that currently have third trims that can't be dyed, into versions that can?
    That would be wonderful but it's probably not technically possible. What may be possible is to rework the tint regions so more of the armor bits are included in the dyed areas. Not ideal but pretty good! That would take a pretty big chunk of work though, so that's not something that would happen real soon if it's possible at all.
    EDIT: Re-read your suggestion Holyroller12, and it actually sounds like you're suggesting exactly this!
    Last edited by BlazingOctopus; 02-16-2017 at 11:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast