+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: New Welcome Window

Rift Disciple

Completely agree with Jonus, this is a horrible idea and would potentially turn new players AWAY from the game if the first thing they see when they create a brand new character is this popup (especially on a "free to play" game)

Quote Originally Posted by Nithydux View Post
    To be fair, Daglar has been absent for half the year... might have something to do with it.

But this worries me, an ad like that gives the absolute wrong message. See Boase's post.
    The fact that Daglar is absent is irrelevant. Daglar did not post here as an individual, he posted here as a representative of Trion. As Trion still owns Rift, his post is still relevant.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Seems like we all agree. Inb4 huge uprising

I feel sorry for Aky progression if this window goes live.
    T for Trinity
    42k Achievement Points Club
    I has stream https://www.twitch.tv/boase Add me on GW2 Boase.6204 or Bnet Boase!#1862

Quote Originally Posted by Nithydux View Post
    To be fair, Daglar has been absent for half the year... might have something to do with it.

But this worries me, an ad like that gives the absolute wrong message. See Boase's post.
    Daglar's involvement with the community changed because his title within the company changed. That's why we saw a huge influx of posting from Archonix who took over Daglar's position while Daglar was promoted to Executive Producer.
    Last edited by Riane; 09-25-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Wow, please get rid of this or at least let us turn it off in options. Seriously, I really hate it and find it offending.
    Last edited by Seshatar; 09-25-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Looking for an Ad-Blocker addon for rift...

Quote Originally Posted by Wackywoo View Post
    Looking for an Ad-Blocker addon for rift...
    Yup......!!
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Sword of Telara

Part of the attraction of Rift for me was that you don't have to pay to play and you don't have advertisements rammed down your throat every ten seconds.

I guess that bit's not going to be true any more. If Trion really thinks that the default page of the store isn't enough of a space to try to sell you things, I'm actually quite worried. You have to open the store to claim your gift, buy most gear, sell things and so on. Thrusting that on people as soon as they open the game seems just flat out unnecessary and maybe a bit desperate, as well as a bit of a "WE JUST WANT YOUR $$$" turnoff for anyone who doesn't play regularly.
    Last edited by Foolio; 09-25-2015 at 02:54 PM.
    Spellbook@Greybriar
    Rejuvenation@Greybriar

10.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #25

Hey folks,

Just wanted to drop in here and share a little bit more of our perspective on the new welcome window and what our long term goals are with this feature. A Welcome Screen gives us more capability to talk to you, to let you know what’s relevant right now. Some of our potential uses for this include sharing that a Livestream is going to happen, a sale that’s happening, or talking about an event that is going on this weekend. The ability to share information about what is or is about to go on in RIFT is super valuable, and a Welcome Screen is absolutely a good way to do it.

We’ve considered doing a Welcome Screen a number of times in the past, but it usually gets shot down because when we think of all the awesome stuff we want to do with it the engineering requests get longer and longer, and eventually it becomes too big to deliver in any single update. This time we’ve kept it really simple, with the idea that we can build on it over time and gradually add more functionality that will be of direct benefit to RIFT players.

We’re also going to tweak how often it’s displayed to players. Basically our goal is to have it pop open no more than once a day (every 20 hours to be precise) and for it to be account based, so you’ll only see it on the first time you login on any character in a given period.

So it’s a bigger feature than it appears at first glance, and long term will pay off with you getting better notification about all sorts of things that are going on. Not everyone reads the website or the news in the launcher; this is just another way to reach people for things they might want to know about.

Thanks,

Sword of Telara

It's refreshing to hear that it won't be every single time, at least.

I still don't like the idea of adverts being thrust in my face the first time I log in and play. News, livestreams etc would be great, active promo events, probably fine; but trying to sell the same stuff on the front of the store? Urgh, no, I see that stuff enough already, and I don't want to buy it!

If you just popped up whenever you added something to the store, that'd be plenty enough for me. I don't want to see the amended bag of the tide for the 984191659871th time, please.

TL;DR: keep it to new/temporary things only and I'd like it more. Seeing the same thing put in front of me multiple times has actually made me not pay any/much attention to the Rift store at all (and thus less likely to buy it), and I don't really want yet another thing to click through every day.
    Spellbook@Greybriar
    Rejuvenation@Greybriar

If the first thing you guys plan to do is plaster a big giant wilds pack ad in front of everyone with your new "Welcome Window", people are going to take it the wrong way.
    Niou Glitterdance - 70 The Silent
    Wikstrom Seihachi - 6- The Relentless
    -= Faeblight =-

Put that kind of info on the front page of the store or in the game MOTD when people log on. I'd rather see a quick text announcement that fades away across my screen than this giant window.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    A Welcome Screen gives us more capability to talk to you, to let you know what’s relevant right now. Some of our potential uses for this include sharing that a Livestream is going to happen, a sale that’s happening, or talking about an event that is going on this weekend. The ability to share information about what is or is about to go on in RIFT is super valuable, and a Welcome Screen is absolutely a good way to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Not everyone reads the website or the news in the launcher; this is just another way to reach people for things they might want to know about.
    I think most people agree that informing more players of livestreams, events, etc, is a good thing. But the fear that I have, and I imagine most people have, is that this will be nothing more than "90% sales or ads, or just another place to put the [newest thing you must buy!] which currently is the wilds pack" and "10% oh hey livestream or fae yule is happening!". This is especially concerning since a large percentage of the events these days are promotional events anyway.

A welcome screen might be a decent way to let people know of events, livestreams, and yes, even sales, but it also gets in the way of what you are logging in to do. It's like a popup add on a website. Sure, they might get some clicks but they also piss off the vast majority of users to websites. Just look at the popularity of ad blockers (and iOS9 just came with some ad blocky thing as well, built in!)

The 'every 20 hours per account' thing is certainly not as often as many people feared (every login, every character) but the frequency aside, this is still something that is directly interrupting the gameplay that players are logging in for. I would definitely like an option to permanently toggle these off, as I'm sure many others would. Those that read the forums, patch notes, MOTD, and watch the livestreams will know about most anything and everything in this popup ad already, so please give those that do wish to opt out of this a way to do so.

EDIT: also, is this what the "dev time and resources" taken away from maintaining the mobile app are going to be used for? cause if so, ill take my buggy mobile app back please, as opposed to 'features' such as this
    Last edited by Serein; 09-25-2015 at 04:08 PM.
    Serein, Gaetinn, Amkhe, Skaidras | Co-Guild Leader of <Nordvegr> of Faeblight | 4/4 iROTP 4/4 TD 3/3 BOS
    New to Rift? Free bag, cape, weapon glow, and title with my Ascend-a-Friend code: EPZHJKQ3DDYHG7GDEDHJ

I repeat, please let us the decision to turn it on or off in options, so we can decide on our own if we find it useful or not.

Would there be any problem with that?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast