+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: June 2015 Update(s) to the PTS

Might not be able to get into PTW just yet, but I have our first look. Let me say ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!!!

June 2015 Update(s) to the PTS-2015-07-01_211545.jpgJune 2015 Update(s) to the PTS-2015-07-01_211433.jpg

So stoked for some Bahmi lore.
    Last edited by Necalli; 07-01-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Accol View Post
    Our bank has a new Account Vault. PTS price is 2,700c patron. You might want to rename it "Shard Vault" since from what I heard on a live stream it will only share items on each shard.

If we buy it on the PTS will it unlock on my entire account? Or is it bought per shard? Would be nice for it to clearly tell you what gets unlocked when you click to buy it. Would like to see how it works.
    Agree, tooltip addition or name change will save a lot of disappointment.

I am guessing it is another 32 slot vault? Accol - buy it please and let me know heh

Quote Originally Posted by Necalli View Post
    Might not be able to get into PTW just yet, but I have our first look. Let me say ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!!! So stoked for some Bahmi lore.
    I am leveling a Bahmi right now just to celebrate PTW and wow, just wow my steam punk fairytale, tribal fascination all mashed together - talk about awesome overload!

Silver Tier Loyalty is up.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 07-01-2015 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Silver stuff
    <a href=https://twitter.com/wootafk target=_blank>https://twitter.com/wootafk</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Agree, tooltip addition or name change will save a lot of disappointment.

I am leveling a Bahmi right now just to celebrate PTW and wow, just wow my steam punk fairytale, tribal fascination all mashed together - talk about overload!

Silver Tier Loyalty is up.
    I know the feeling, I haven't been this excited for a non-expansion patch since.... well probably EI

Wow Necalli, those screenshots look way beyond anything I had imagined. Now those skywhales don't look so confusing!

And have you seen the map? Planetouched Wilds is so much larger than I expected:

Now it's turned from a cute Koala to one on with its tail on fire!

Whoops, posted in wrong month.

New month, new thread!
    Last edited by Jonus; 07-02-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    Wow Necalli, those screenshots look way beyond anything I had imagined. Now those skywhales don't look so confusing!

And have you seen the map? Planetouched Wilds is so much larger than I expected:

Now it's turned from a cute Koala to one on with its tail on fire!
    I never saw the Koala before! Now it will never leave me! Anyways, it appears that once we have access to PTW you could probably safely swim to it from EI. Here's a screen shot from the edge of the fatigue zone on EI. June 2015 Update(s) to the PTS-2015-07-01_235138.jpg

Also, it appears as if the Infinity Gate is now properly above Shimmersand in the open world.June 2015 Update(s) to the PTS-2015-07-02_000240.jpg

Lastly, with no surprise to anyone, there are Primalist trainers in the starting zones for newly created characters on both Defiant and Guardian side. June 2015 Update(s) to the PTS-2015-07-01_234225.jpgJune 2015 Update(s) to the PTS-2015-07-01_234532.jpg I'm going to be interested in seeing how the Primalist is worked into those story lines.

Kind of figured you could probably see PTW from Ember Isle given how close it seems to be on the world map. Like "wow!"

OMG...maybe it's not a koala...but...a Slowbro!

As for the Primalist trainers in the starting zones...that does seem interesting. Guess a bit of retcon? Or maybe the Vigil sends the Primalists back in time to when you just become an Ascended and the Defiants...maybe Orphiel will explain that in the Nightmare Saga? Perhaps Orphiel from an alternate universe sent the Primalists to the Defiant's starting zone using another Failsafe machine. In that universe...perhaps the Failsafe was never used until much later, and it was produced in the Planetouched Wilds rather than outside The Factory.

Kind of figured you could probably see PTW from Ember Isle given how close it seems to be on the world map. Like "wow!"

OMG...maybe it's not a koala...but...a Slowbro!

As for the Primalist trainers in the starting zones...that does seem interesting. Guess a bit of retcon? Or maybe the Vigil sends the Primalists back in time to when you just become an Ascended and the Defiants...maybe Orphiel will explain that in the Nightmare Saga? Perhaps Orphiel from an alternate universe sent the Primalists to the Defiant's starting zone using another Failsafe machine. In that universe...perhaps the Failsafe was never used until much later, and it was produced in the Planetouched Wilds rather than outside The Factory.
    WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME JONUS?!!?! WHY?!!?

Anyways, yeah, I'm hoping they just retcon it versus some weird timey-wimey explanation. Don't get me wrong, it could be some really cool lore tied into how they ended up there, but anytime you have time travel involved, things get messy. Who knows though, it'll be interesting.

Primalists being Ascended who have had skills related to the Bahmi (given that Bahmi have been neutral in ways/at times to both Guardians and Defiant) shouldn't be a big deal. Especially since it seems like it'll most likely be a Cash Shop Calling AKA less people will be playing it, making it even more fitting.

Expanded Bahmi lore and storyline has been something I've waited a few years for, and seeing a willingness of Trion to partially..somewhat.. weave this into the starting experience is a good thing. All the other races got their love (and then some - looking at Ghar Eth in Plane of Water), so its very nice to know that Bahmi finally will be getting, essentially, a whole Calling and major Zone very dedicated primarily to them (it seems).

Ascended can come from all quarters. They're really just their Calling (a 'warrior', 'rogue', etc) plus whatever the Future Terminus Defiant and the Vigil can gather for souls to attune to. This can be Blood Storm Heroes, but it can also be whatever the Future-Defiant and Vigil know about and can access in the Soulstream/Etc. I think. S'all good. I can imagine an Ascended of all of the Callings having, in terms of RP, more of a connection to the spirits of the blah blah blah and then meeting their trainer in the starting zone to explain blah blah blah.

This does count as a retcon, but that's what happens when earlier zones get updated. Totally fine. As long as we never get something as silly as Cataclysm.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 07-03-2015 at 03:11 PM.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME JONUS?!!?! WHY?!!?

Anyways, yeah, I'm hoping they just retcon it versus some weird timey-wimey explanation. Don't get me wrong, it could be some really cool lore tied into how they ended up there, but anytime you have time travel involved, things get messy. Who knows though, it'll be interesting.
    We will almost certainly have time travel play a big part in Rift.

I'm almost certain that this won't significantly screw up the existing game world, but will be its own instances/realm at some future point.

And if there is somehow time travel stuff with the PTW (I don't think so, but maybe), it won't be big or super important anyway.

PTW so far seems at least almost totally about the Bahmi, their (elemental) ancestor worship (may expand lore and perhaps involve with Primalist concepts), perhaps something with Plane of Air (seems so with the screenshots haha), etc. Not time travel.

One thing I fear is that we'll get a Plane of Earth expansion about time travel that will just be Nightmare Tide 2.0 in terms of NPCs. We'll just get all the existing NPCs and more rehash/recycled content and the excuse would be 'time travel'.

In 3.0 the excuse was 'nightmares', so we have all these existing NPCs but with a purple or green hue. 4.0 time travel? Just have the same NPCs again, and with a brown hue.

Hopefully that's not the case, but currently there's a lot of rehash/recycled content since F2P.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    We will almost certainly have time travel play a big part in Rift.

I'm almost certain that this won't significantly screw up the existing game world, but will be its own instances/realm at some future point.

And if there is somehow time travel stuff with the PTW (I don't think so, but maybe), it won't be big or super important anyway.

PTW so far seems at least almost totally about the Bahmi, their (elemental) ancestor worship (may expand lore and perhaps involve with Primalist concepts), perhaps something with Plane of Air (seems so with the screenshots haha), etc. Not time travel.
    You're right, it has been a bit of the game's lore since the beginning. I also agree with how it was done. It was a straightforward jump back in time. The future Defiants come to the past where they can actually push back against the dragons. As far as I'm aware, that's all there is to it. That, in my opinion, is fine. My biggest concern is that the time travel thing will get out of hand (which has happened in many varieties of media) or that the questing experience will get all messed up.

Look at Warcraft. If you played through the content from the beginning of WoW the story makes sense.

You start in EK and Kali, travel the world, and do Naxx as the last raid of the vanilla game. You then travel to OL and face Illidan and his armies. After Illidan, you return to Azeroth to travel to Quel' Danas and deal with the Sunwell threat.

From there you travel to Northrend and face off against the scrouge and the LK. Once you've put down the LK, DW returns and you are called back to EK and Kali to manage the elements and eventually strike down DW.

Then you go to Pandaria and deal with rising tensions between Horde and Alliance and then an overly emotional Grommosh, I mean Garrosh. After Garrosh you jump to a different reality about 30 years in the past and deal with Archimonde.

All is swell and dandy until you make a new character or if you're a new character playing the game. Then your quest flow goes something like this.

You make a new character and log into post DW EK or Kali (unless you choose Pandaren, then you log into Wandering Isle and choose a faction, then you are somehow shoved into a part of history that officially Pandaren couldn't have been there for.) From EK or Kali you deal with Garrosh running around the continent giving orders as Warchief even though clearly Vol'jin is in charge, as you ramp up to deal with Deathwing you find out the Dark Portal has turned red and the Iron Horde is already invading, but you totally ignore that and continue towards Outlands.

As you hit 60 you are told to go to Outland to deal with Illidan who is already dead. Once you finish OL, you head to Northrend to deal with another already deceased character, that being the LK. The problem with just throwing new characters into the Cata zones versus the old zones is that Cataclysm is built around the fact that both Illidan and the Lich King are both already dead. So players are told they're already dead when they start out the game.

Anyways, from there the players return to Cataclysm Azeroth and still completely ignore the Iron Horde invasion but instead deal with the dead dragon and Warchief. The problem with Pandaria now is that players have zero reason to go there once WoD went live because any conflict with the Sha and Garry was dealt with there and no one should have to go there.

I just don't want to see Rift end up with the same weird story line that conflicts itself.

One thing I fear is that we'll get a Plane of Earth expansion about time travel that will just be Nightmare Tide 2.0 in terms of NPCs. We'll just get all the existing NPCs and more rehash/recycled content and the excuse would be 'time travel'.

In 3.0 the excuse was 'nightmares', so we have all these existing NPCs but with a purple or green hue. 4.0 time travel? Just have the same NPCs again, and with a brown hue.

Hopefully that's not the case, but currently there's a lot of rehash/recycled content since F2P.
    Agreed, however I feel like Trion is starting to get a feel for the F2P model now and we're starting to see some change in a positive direction. After just the few sneak peaks of PTW we're already seeing some new art assets. Now granted, the new raid is just another rehashed raid but that's been more or less the whole theme of the expansion due to the whole "nightmares" idea.

We will always have rehashed stuff. What needs to happen is not for rehashing to stop (it makes for more agile development, we have to deal with it), but for the rehashing to be smarter than "Hey, here's a literal copy of content." so often.

'Nightmares' is kinda cool tbh. I actually love the idea and some of the execution of the shadow areas of Draumheim, for example. But it was a lot of blah space. It could have been better.

A (partial?) time travel expansion could be fascinating, with Trion better at telling tight stories in interesting areas.

If the story advances and we get interesting stuff and new mindblowing stuff appears, I don't care if I get reused locations and characters 'with different hues'. Like, I might have disliked Plane of Water outright, but then I got to Tarken Glacier and saw how it kinda might fit into a bigger picture. That was awesome tbh. I can see the same with 'time' stuff, which as a theme, has existed since Defiant starting zone and Quantum/Omen sight.

You're right, it has been a bit of the game's lore since the beginning. I also agree with how it was done. It was a straightforward jump back in time. The future Defiants come to the past where they can actually push back against the dragons. As far as I'm aware, that's all there is to it. That, in my opinion, is fine. My biggest concern is that the time travel thing will get out of hand (which has happened in many varieties of media) or that the questing experience will get all messed up.

Look at Warcraft. If you played through the content from the beginning of WoW the story makes sense.

You start in EK and Kali, travel the world, and do Naxx as the last raid of the vanilla game. You then travel to OL and face Illidan and his armies. After Illidan, you return to Azeroth to travel to Quel' Danas and deal with the Sunwell threat.

From there you travel to Northrend and face off against the scrouge and the LK. Once you've put down the LK, DW returns and you are called back to EK and Kali to manage the elements and eventually strike down DW.

Then you go to Pandaria and deal with rising tensions between Horde and Alliance and then an overly emotional Grommosh, I mean Garrosh. After Garrosh you jump to a different reality about 30 years in the past and deal with Archimonde.

All is swell and dandy until you make a new character or if you're a new character playing the game. Then your quest flow goes something like this.

You make a new character and log into post DW EK or Kali (unless you choose Pandaren, then you log into Wandering Isle and choose a faction, then you are somehow shoved into a part of history that officially Pandaren couldn't have been there for.) From EK or Kali you deal with Garrosh running around the continent giving orders as Warchief even though clearly Vol'jin is in charge, as you ramp up to deal with Deathwing you find out the Dark Portal has turned red and the Iron Horde is already invading, but you totally ignore that and continue towards Outlands.

As you hit 60 you are told to go to Outland to deal with Illidan who is already dead. Once you finish OL, you head to Northrend to deal with another already deceased character, that being the LK. The problem with just throwing new characters into the Cata zones versus the old zones is that Cataclysm is built around the fact that both Illidan and the Lich King are both already dead. So players are told they're already dead when they start out the game.

Anyways, from there the players return to Cataclysm Azeroth and still completely ignore the Iron Horde invasion but instead deal with the dead dragon and Warchief. The problem with Pandaria now is that players have zero reason to go there once WoD went live because any conflict with the Sha and Garry was dealt with there and no one should have to go there.

I just don't want to see Rift end up with the same weird story line that conflicts itself.
    I absolutely do not want a WoW in this way. I generally know how you described it, but thanks for the overview. A Cataclysm and Warlords of Draenor thing would make me hate this game, honestly.

But time travel itself? Oh man, go for it! Just don't bloody erase my feeling of progress!

In any case, Rift would do some mix of slivers and time travel. That is, we'll be playing a storyline that has all sorts of rips in reality (which may do stuff like a new type of rift that affects all zones, etc), but still be grounded in a 'Plane of ___' expansion (assuming Trion doesn't surprise us with the direction of the next expansion, but I think we'll get a Plane of ___ anyway). I don't think we'll be effed with. I think our Ascended have one baseline reality/plane/time/etc that they're working with and trying to preserve, and a big 'WHOOPS TIME TO DESTROY IT ALL' (via time travel or a big disaster or whatever) isn't in the cards. All or almost all quests should stay and matter IMO, and I THINK Trion believes the same.

Agreed, however I feel like Trion is starting to get a feel for the F2P model now and we're starting to see some change in a positive direction. After just the few sneak peaks of PTW we're already seeing some new art assets. Now granted, the new raid is just another rehashed raid but that's been more or less the whole theme of the expansion due to the whole "nightmares" idea.
    I feel this as well. Even with the annoyance of HK returning (the biggest annoyance was REMOVING THE CLASSIC VERSION AND ITS ACHIEVEMENTS), I understood it as pretty okay with seeing it come back in the bloody Plane of WATER expansion, and it being known as the BEST RAIDING of Rift after all :P.

I like to hope that they're in a stride and we're in for several months of cool Planetouched Wildness, several months of the conclusion to Plane of Water, and a 4.0 expansion that is actually better than NT - which for a free content update, really, isn't too bad, albeit with warts (in design and monetization) that I wish Trion is aware of and doesn't repeat.

I absolutely do not want a WoW in this way. I generally know how you described it, but thanks for the overview. A Cataclysm and Warlords of Draenor thing would make me hate this game, honestly.
    That's not even the worst of it, it's been a downhill spiral since Draenor. I unsubbed a couple of weeks after the expansion went live, resubbed for 6.2 (which was the first real content patch) and unsubbed a week later. Just been an absolute disappointment. Even though I don't hate WoW, I have grown a bit of animosity towards the recent expansion for sure.

But time travel itself? Oh man, go for it! Just don't bloody erase my feeling of progress!

In any case, Rift would do some mix of slivers and time travel. That is, we'll be playing a storyline that has all sorts of rips in reality (which may do stuff like a new type of rift that affects all zones, etc), but still be grounded in a 'Plane of ___' expansion (assuming Trion doesn't surprise us with the direction of the next expansion, but I think we'll get a Plane of ___ anyway). I don't think we'll be effed with. I think our Ascended have one baseline reality/plane/time/etc that they're working with and trying to preserve, and a big 'WHOOPS TIME TO DESTROY IT ALL' (via time travel or a big disaster or whatever) isn't in the cards. All or almost all quests should stay and matter IMO, and I THINK Trion believes the same.
    Exactly! Chances to see glimpses of alternate realities or events in the past (e.g. the upcoming NM saga quest that takes us to Port Scion) is great and really cool for the players. Just don't completely change everything with these mechanics. I agree that Trion is of a similar mindset, it's not hard to see what an absolute mess Blizzard has made with their use of the mechanic.

I feel this as well. Even with the annoyance of HK returning (the biggest annoyance was REMOVING THE CLASSIC VERSION AND ITS ACHIEVEMENTS), I understood it as pretty okay with seeing it come back in the bloody Plane of WATER expansion, and it being known as the BEST RAIDING of Rift after all :P.

I like to hope that they're in a stride and we're in for several months of cool Planetouched Wildness, several months of the conclusion to Plane of Water, and a 4.0 expansion that is actually better than NT - which for a free content update, really, isn't too bad, albeit with warts (in design and monetization) that I wish Trion is aware of and doesn't repeat.
    Agreed. My biggest issue with Rift right now more than anything is two things. The first one being the state of the already existing callings. Granted that class balance is always a messy detail in any game, but we have a lot of 61 point souls that are just not being used. That and Masteries do not encourage hybrid builds like they were originally marketed. Not too happy that all class changes stopped in favor of working on Primalist, but I'm still willing to give it a spin and see what happens.

My second issue is the fact that after four years the game still does not support multi-threading on our cores. The thing is, this game is gorgeous. Whether it's character models, landscapes, or even spell effects it's all appealing. Some it outright puts games on newer engines to shame. However, the performance is garbage. I understand that it's a nightmarish task to try to convert the game to operate on multiple cores, but the reality is poor performance is going to keep newer players away.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast