+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: No more WinXP Support for 3.2 ?

Default No more WinXP Support for 3.2 ?

Since a few updates on the PTS for 3.2, the PTS wont launch with WinXP. (Typical "Rift.exe isnt a Win32 Application" error)

I run Win7 and XP, and are just used to play Rift on XP, it would be nice to know if this is just a "bug" or if its really the case that WinXP isnt supported with 3.2 anymore.

Would be pretty annoying changing everything on short notice aka on patch day, and i dont think i would be the only one effected by this, since XP is still the second most used OS around

BTW if tis not a "bug", update your Systems recs.

Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or better
    Memory: 2 GB
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce FX 5900, ATI/AMD Radeon X300, Intel GMA X4500 or better.
    DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
    Hard Drive: 15.0 GB available
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
    Other: Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem or other high speed connection)

TL;DR No more Winxp with 3.2 ? Dont wait for the 3.2 Patchnotes to announce it, if its not a PTS "Bug"
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    This game is not and never will be balanced for 1 vs 1.
    ~Daglar

(edit) Nevermind what I said, but yeah what Lightingpaw said.
    Last edited by Zaber; 04-09-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Windows 8 also generated an error starting a few days ago and was fixed by some steps outlined in this Riftgrate post:

http://riftgrate.com/2015/03/31/rift...st-march-2015/

This isn't necessarily what you're experiencing, but it's possible that this or something else may be out-of-date on your system as I find it highly unlikely that they would drop support for a major OS without saying anything.
    Last edited by lightningpaw; 04-09-2015 at 08:39 AM.
    Amarlia@Greybriar Level 60 Mathosian Mage
    6/8 BoB + 9/12 NT T1

Officer of <The Dawntreaders> 4/4 RoF x2, 4/5 MS, 1/3 TF and looking for more! Come kill all sorts of watery creatures with us!

Quote Originally Posted by lightningpaw View Post
    Windows 8 also generated an error starting a few days ago and was fixed by some steps outlined in this Riftgrate post:

http://riftgrate.com/2015/03/31/rift...st-march-2015/

This isn't necessarily what you're experiencing, but it's possible that this or something else may be out-of-date on your system as I find it highly unlikely that they would drop support for a major OS without saying anything.
    Would be suprised too, but thats why i thought i just ask ;)

Allready checked my DLL files that could be important, and got my C++/Driver updates. Thing is, the only games/programms that i know of that give you that " not a win32 application" error, are the ones who dont support 32 bit and/or WinXP.
    ~Daglar

I take issue with the assertion that XP is a "major" OS that should still receive support from third parties. It was finally - finally! - was put out to pasture by Microsoft exactly a year ago. You're running a 14 year old operating system that has not received any security updates for a year. You should have upgraded already, and you should expect more things to drop support for it as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    I take issue with the assertion that XP is a "major" OS that should still receive support from third parties. It was finally - finally! - was put out to pasture by Microsoft exactly a year ago. You're running a 14 year old operating system that has not received any security updates for a year. You should have upgraded already, and you should expect more things to drop support for it as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by R3db4ss View Post
    I run Win7 and XP, and are just used to play Rift on XP, it would be nice to know if this is just a "bug" or if its really the case that WinXP isnt supported with 3.2 anymore.

btw XP IS the second most used OS still.
    Last edited by R3db4ss; 04-09-2015 at 09:16 AM.
    ~Daglar

btw XP IS the second most used OS still.
    Well, unless all those users are under the Microsoft Custom Support program, they're still running an OS that hasn't received any updates in the last year, meaning a simple missing security update could prevent Rift from running. If Microsoft doesn't support the operating system, you can't expect Trion to.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Artewig View Post
    Well, unless all those users are under the Microsoft Custom Support program, they're still running an OS that hasn't received any updates in the last year, meaning a simple missing security update could prevent Rift from running. If Microsoft doesn't support the operating system, you can't expect Trion to.
    Maybe you guys should read before posting, i dont say Trion support Winxp or else bla, im just asking if they stop supporting it or if its a bug, and if so that they should update the system min. Simple, i dont care for the
    "...but Winxp isnt supported by Windows anymore, didnt recieve updates blaa..." i KNOW THAT...
    Last edited by R3db4ss; 04-09-2015 at 09:50 AM.
    ~Daglar

9.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #9
    Rift Team

This is definitely a bug, and we're looking into it.

Since a few updates on the PTS for 3.2, the PTS wont launch with WinXP. (Typical "Rift.exe isnt a Win32 Application" error)

Would be pretty annoying changing everything on short notice aka on patch day, and i dont think i would be the only one effected by this, since XP is still the second most used OS around

BTW if tis not a "bug", update your Systems recs.

Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or better
    Memory: 2 GB
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce FX 5900, ATI/AMD Radeon X300, Intel GMA X4500 or better.
    DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
    Hard Drive: 15.0 GB available
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
    Other: Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem or other high speed connection)

TL;DR No more Winxp with 3.2 ? Dont wait for the 3.2 Patchnotes to announce it, if its not a PTS "Bug"

Quote Originally Posted by Snedhepl View Post
    This is definitely a bug, and we're looking into it.
    Thx, good to know
    ~Daglar

Really we should be glad the game is supported on 32 bit OS at all, new games are 64 bit only. Not that I expect Rift to change engines or anything but, any 32 bit computer is getting a "bit" dated.
    Life is what you make it so make it good, even when it isn't.

+ Reply to Thread