+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Dimension Free Camera mode

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Default Dimension Free Camera mode

When testing out Free Camera mode in an Endless Eclipse dimension (I wanted to see how it worked in something larger than the Breach Chamber shown in the livestream), I ran into a purple wall where the camera would go no further from the position where my avatar was standing.

I guesstimated the distance to be about equal to max draw distance. Is it correct that the free camera mode has a boundary limit based on how far from your character you take the camera?

Here's a screenshot of what I got:
    Dimension Free Camera mode-2015-01-10_144346.jpg

This was standing at about the halfway point heading back toward the default entrance.

By the way: I love this new feature. LOVE it.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

I am dying to get on the PTS and try this...

I wonder how hard it would be to create a thing like the "Dimension Toolbox" add-on strictly for camera control... I can't code to save my life, but oh gods, that would be UNBELIEVABLY useful for me filming.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraiko View Post
    I am dying to get on the PTS and try this...

I wonder how hard it would be to create a thing like the "Dimension Toolbox" add-on strictly for camera control... I can't code to save my life, but oh gods, that would be UNBELIEVABLY useful for me filming.
    Hard. Very Hard lol It would more than likely require tools only available to Devs, baby steps heh

And Baradara the purple fade makes sense and might also look great in video's etc because there has to be a range, I look forward to Gingers blog post explaining new UI features she mentioned during livestream - coming with 3.1.

Love the new Dim UI updates on PTS, curious how this camera will effect PvP Dimensions as a spectator and contestant.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 01-11-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    ... because there has to be a range, I look forward to Gingers blog post explaining new UI features she mentioned during livestream...
    I think it does make sense that there's a range, and I'm actually pleased it seems to be a far one. I just wanted the confirmation. Personally, I don't care for the purple wall, but it is an effective way to let you know you've gone as far as you can.

I also look forward to Gingers' post. I might not be her #1 fan at this exact moment, but I'm sure I'm pretty high up there (perhaps #2 or #3, give or take)

Baradara@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Hard. Very Hard lol It would more than likely require tools only available to Devs, baby steps heh
    BAH! I will bribe the Trion devs with brownies if I have to. I know some of the old Paragon Studios team is there, they can vouch for the awesomeness of my "Speed Boost in a Tray" brownies.

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!

I smell machinima-like Rift videos

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    I think it does make sense that there's a range, and I'm actually pleased it seems to be a far one. I just wanted the confirmation. Personally, I don't care for the purple wall, but it is an effective way to let you know you've gone as far as you can
    Ye I didn't really like it at first also. ArcheAge has the same availability to change camera angle in the game with no indication where it stops it just does. I thought this might be better too for us but then I thought of Dimensions, their ability to cause performance issues and many of our Dimensioneers not being as computer savvy as those that might play a world pvp game (etc) or being new to building and since this mode is on the "tool belt" having a visual indication might help players realize something isn't wrong or they are in active camera mode.

Maybe if the purple wall is only for a similar reason and nothing technical there could be a better way to tell players they are in active camera mode?
    Last edited by Kiwi; 01-11-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seshatar View Post
    I smell machinima-like Rift videos
    I just finished my first one! The link's in my signature.

Got three more in the works, at least.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Default Feedback & Question regarding PvP Dimensions.

Tested camera in personal, listed and guild dimensions.

* Camera is available in Dimensions you have permissions in.
    * Camera moves using WASD and goes through items & terrain
    * Your character remains still while in this mode

Coupled with Magic Carpet/Tribal Magic this is crazy awesome mode. I know all the UI updates aren't available yet on PTS but just wondered from a spectator/host point of view for PvP Dimensions:

* Will camera mode be a available as an option when Special Permissions is added to UI? Or will Camera Mode be available on ranks for guilds to open to public somehow if needed so you can spectate using this mode?

10.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #10

When testing out Free Camera mode in an Endless Eclipse dimension (I wanted to see how it worked in something larger than the Breach Chamber shown in the livestream), I ran into a purple wall where the camera would go no further from the position where my avatar was standing.

I guesstimated the distance to be about equal to max draw distance. Is it correct that the free camera mode has a boundary limit based on how far from your character you take the camera?

Here's a screenshot of what I got:
    Attachment 21348

This was standing at about the halfway point heading back toward the default entrance.

By the way: I love this new feature. LOVE it.
    I spoke with the engineer that made this and he said yes the purple wall is intended and it shows up after going a set distance from your body.

11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #11

I think it does make sense that there's a range, and I'm actually pleased it seems to be a far one. I just wanted the confirmation. Personally, I don't care for the purple wall, but it is an effective way to let you know you've gone as far as you can.

I also look forward to Gingers' post. I might not be her #1 fan at this exact moment, but I'm sure I'm pretty high up there (perhaps #2 or #3, give or take)
    I have a fan?! sqweeee!

12.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #12

I just talked with the engineer that made the free camera and he said it has some special features that I didn't know about:

* When flying, hold SHIFT to fly fast.
    * When flying, hold CTRL to fly slow.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gingers View Post
    I just talked with the engineer that made the free camera and he said it has some special features that I didn't know about:

Lol Gingers, cheers and you have many fans big thanks to the engineer now dubbed Paparazzi Is there any way for video makers to have this wall removed so it doesn't interfere with camera scrolling - would save time editing?
    Last edited by Kiwi; 01-12-2015 at 10:34 AM.

That is awesome, thanks to you both for the info!

I spoke with the engineer that made this and he said yes the purple wall is intended and it shows up after going a set distance from your body.
    That's great and very helpful to know!

I have a fan?! sqweeee!
    Yes, because you rock!

Tell him he's wonderful.

Thank you!

Baradara@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast