+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Experimental Oculus Support

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Rift Team

Default Experimental Oculus Support

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to announce some new experimental functionality for Rift. Support for the Oculus dev kits!

For those unfamiliar - Oculus VR (http://www.oculusvr.com/) has released two developer kits - DK1 and DK2 - which are head mounted displays that display a slightly different image for each eye, giving the illusion of a truly 3D view. Games don't work with this by default - additional work must be done to support it.

For Rift, that work is now at a point that we're interested in sharing it with players to get their feedback about the functionality, and to allow them to enjoy the experience of Telara in 3D. With that said here's a few important details / limitations:
    • Oculus support in Rift is currently experimental, and we reserve the right to disable or remove it at any time.
    • Direct mode is not supported at this time. You will need to use the "Extend Desktop" display mode.
    • Framerate, unless you have an extremely powerful machine, is not at the recommended value at this time. At the moment, you should generally expect your FPS in Oculus mode to be half what it normally is.
    • UI support is very minimal. The mouse cursor will only render on a single eye at a time, and you'll find that while accurate in the center of the screen, the further you move from the center of the screen, the less accurate it is.
    • Oculus support is on PTS/Alpha *now* and will be on the Live shard with this week's hotfix (ETA: Wednesday US, Thursday EU).
    • Oculus mode makes a couple existing lighting / shadow bugs in Rift more obvious. They're not too bad, but you may want to turn shadows off and/or lower lighting quality to 3, to avoid the worst of these issues.

With that said, if you're still interesting in trying this, here are the details:
    1. Make sure your Oculus headset is configured in Extend Desktop mode, not Direct mode.
    2. Start Rift normally and login to the game.
    3. Adjust your Rift game window to be the same resolution as your Oculus headset. (1920 x 1080 for the DK2, 1280 x 800 for the DK1)
    4. Activate Oculus mode with the following slash command: /oculus 1
    5. Position your Rift window so that it is on extended desktop of the Oculus device.
    6. Enjoy!

When you're done, you can turn off Oculus mode with a similar slash command: /oculus 0. At this time, Oculus mode will also turn off any time you trigger a loading screen.

If you need to reset the position and rotation tracking information, the following slash command is available: /oculusrecenter. You may wish to create a macro with this command and put it on an ability bar so you can trigger it quickly and easily from a key press.

Both first person and third person cameras are available. Just like when playing Rift normally, use the mouse wheel to move the camera closer (scroll up) or farther (scroll down) to your player.

Here's a couple screenshots of what Rift looks like in Oculus mode on a DK2:

Third person: (Akylios)

First person: (Regulos)

If you have an Oculus Dev Kit, please give Oculus mode a try - let us know how it works for you and tell us what you think. In particular - Any thoughts on what we should do to make the UI better and more usable?

One last disclaimer: No Nightmare Tide features were harmed in the coding of Oculus support. This was all done in evening / weekend time.

Thanks,
    Pithos

Quote Originally Posted by Pithos View Post
    One last disclaimer: No Nightmare Tide features were harmed in the coding of Oculus support. This was all done in evening / weekend time.

Thanks,
    Pithos
    Lol, thanks for the extra time you always put in. I am super curious to hear who has Oculus and if they jump into Rift kind of went off it when Facebook stepped in.

RIFT Community @Discord ATLAS REACTOR @Reddit & @Discord KIWI @Twitter

General of Telara

Be pretty crazy to see how it would feel looking at tall mountains the view now in rift pretty crazy be even more with Oculus, pretty nice.

Just to see this in the view http://tinypic.com/r/2z5ko75/8 :P

Soulwalker

Default Pretty Neat

I've never played this before, but it seemed really neat. I think it just needs a bunch of little things adapted to for use with the DK2. Here are a few things that stuck out:

1. The UI unusable as you mentioed, perhaps if there were a key that allowed you to look further to the left and right just for the UI stuff, to make the game playable. (kind of like how Vorpx has that middle mouse option and it zooms out)

2. The third person camera was great, and I liked zooming in close to my character with the mouse. But the forced "tilt" of the camera was uncomfortable. It felt as though I was leaning forward, but my real body was not. I would suggest leveling off the camera so it's 1:1 headtracking to head position in real life, also lowering the cam a bit.

3. It was pretty blurry even at native resolution. I tried increasing several graphical setting to account for this, but seemed a lot harder to see than most other experiences on the rift at 1080p.

4. Turning left and right was immediate with a and d keys. Which was very uncomfortable, as was mouse turning by holding the mouse button and dragging it. It would be a lot better if the turn were slowed down 50 percent or so, and it was a slow acceleration. Perhaps a "VR comfort mode" option in the menu (look it up if you aren't familiar with it). I would like to be able to use a controller due to the stick allowing for controlled slow turns, but I couldn't get into the menu to do any of that

As I said, I've never played this game before but when I saw Oculus support was added on a reddit post I immediately downloaded it. I could see myself possibly getting into this with minor things tweaks for VR here and there to make it fully playable. This looks very interesting, and I enjoyed my short time with it greatly!
    Last edited by hagg87; 08-25-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Rift Disciple

Yo dawg I herd you like RIFT.

6.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #6
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by hagg87
    This looks very interesting, and I enjoyed my short time with it greatly!
    Thanks for the feedback, hagg87.

All very valid points.

There is an option decrease the mouse look/turn speed (under Options, Interface, Mouse) - this defaults to 2, but lowering it to 1 might help. Really though, a VR comfort mode like you mentioned would help significantly more.

Soulwalker

Awesome guys; Thankyou. I haven't played Rift for nearly 2 years when it was still p2p, but I am downloading again as we speak just so I have a cool mmo to play in my shiny new DK2.
    Last edited by HappyHimitsu; 08-25-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pithos View Post
    such dedication

This is very awesome, making it possible to play rift with a rift. (sorry, I had to) I do not own an Oculus DK, but this is the first time that I wish I did

That's interesting for the future.

This system sounds great.
    Guild: La main occulte on Brisesol.
    French translator of Tinker Tools.
    Owner of the Telara Rail Road: 14 Train Station are currently open to visit

This is very interesting! It makes me want to bring devkit from work and play Rift at home. Though I have recently canceled all my accounts after all these years (stupid /follow rules changes), this is something that I really would like to try out.

I'm an altoholic: Thirteen 60 clerics, eleven 60 rogues, eleven 60 warriors, five 60 mages, etc...

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Bah i tried using the cheap 3D glasses i had from watching Godzilla 3D, they didn't work on the screenshots

Interesting tech, but i'll wait until prices drop a bit more

Soulwalker

Excellent!

I've been playing Rift for about 4 months, and own an Oculus Rift DK2 for 2 days now.

First impressions:

- General immersion, despite greatly reduced FPS, is excellent. This looks BEAUTIFUL! Checking if I could get the Trion games running on a Rift DK2 via injector drivers was actually one of my first things I did when researching into getting mine. Now I know why. Your worlds really look stunning.

- Minor graphical problem: Shadows aren't rendered correctly. I looked into it a little more, and even with the "reduced" shadow setting (environment only? name slipped me) the problem persists. It seems that the shadows for one eye are rendered completely different from those for the other eye. I remember a house where the left eye display's shadow was 90, and the one for the right eye was 45.

- Getting the window on the Rift is a bit of a hassle if your main monitor has a different resolution than the Rift. My main LCD is a 4:3 1600x1200. I can't set Rift to 1900x1080 full window on that. If I could, I could just Shift-Windows-RightCursor the window over to the extended DK2 display. That would be perfect.

- for UI usability, I've seen other games have a "UI window border", which basically allocates a certain % of pixels on the screen edges where the UI isn't allowed. The UI acts as if it was centered on a screen of (100-x)% pixel size.

Overall, this is a beautiful first attempt. If you keep going in this direction, you could become one of the titles that people actually buy a DK2 or CV1 for!

Soulwalker

Fun DK2 experience of the first 10 minutes:

I walked down the hill from the church in the Sanctuary new-character-area (had to make a new char for Alpha server with the oculus support) and took a quick break. When I put my DK2 back on my head afterwards, I turned around and that very moment, a busty blonde NPC walked up to me and continued walking, shoving her rack into my face. I mean, Rift girls were attractive before, but uhm, yeah, that was *different*. Whoa, watch it, girl! I'm being sexually harassed here! I actually had to laugh out loud, because those b**bs felt like they were all over my face! XD

Soulwalker

Default Dk2

Hello, this is looking fantastic! Great job, glad you are keeping up with the times.I have played Rift quite a bit in the past so my DK2 has brought me back. This is the way Telara was meant to be seen.

Unfortunately I cannot seem to select any targets in oculus mode. My mouse cursor will even switch to a targeting sword indicator just as in normal, but I get no target selected when I attempt to attack. Same with grabbing grabbable objects. The mouse will change as in normal 2d mode to the glove to indicate I can grab it, but no luck. Am I doing something wrong or is this not implemented yet or?

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

If trying it on the Live game it hasn't been implemented yet, from what Pithos said it just might make the hotfix tomorrow for NA (Thursday for EU).

All this is on the PTS (Public Test Shard) so if you're trying it on the live version then that might explain why it's not working?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast