+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: New Macro UI feedback

Default New Macro UI feedback

Really like the new UI, its a big improvement. However when i reorganise my macro's into the categories and get 3 yers worth of mess all nice and tidy, I then find that all my macro's have moved around on my hot key bars and thats a bit of a headache.

I also had a wierd issue with typing in characters like #@[] but i can't reproduce it, relogging seemed to fix it.
    Ambi - Cleric - Apotheosys.

UI Feedback Wall of Text Incoming

This is mainly concerning the new Macro UI and it's functions. I did do some feedback in the game, but there was not enough room to type all my thoughts. So I will go over some I already gave and add some more.

Macro Interface

First of all I'd like to say that I think the setup/look of the new interface is nicely done. It is easy to understand and simple to navigate.

Currently, if you try to move a macro it will no longer work on your ability bar unless you move it back to it's original slot. I really hope this is not intended function. I am assuming it is a bug or that more code is still coming. If not and this is normal behaviour, then It's just the same clunky system we have on live. If it stays that way, then I'd like to see something added to help us copy a macro with more ease. Currently I constantly have to use cntr+c/cntr+v highlight for each macro I would like to move! Annoying!

Categories

I'd like to see the number of categories coincide with how many roles a character has. I would then add 1 more. So if my character has 9 roles then I get 10 categories to play with. The extra one should be for utility macro's that are used between all roles. Thus I do not have to have mutiple copies of those for each role. I am thrilled that we can rename the categories, that makes it so easy to see what I have.

Icons
    All I can say about this is THANKYOU, but more is BETTER! <3 to the devs, I'm doing cartwheels I am so happy!

Tutorial

The instructions included right now are good and include 'how do macro's work' and 'help, my macro does not work'. 'How to make a macro' needs to be added to this. I know it seems self-explanatory, but I cannot tell you how many new players need precise basic instructions on this. So something like....In the macro editor, choose and icon and name for your new macro, then choose a command from the command list such as /assist. Proceed to build your macro and save when you are done. Go test the macro and make any changes necessary.'

Commands
    The command utility is very nice from what I have seen browsing it. I am not sure how to make my own at this time. The ones at top are blank and I have tried to enter words, but it seem I cannot at this time(maybe unfinished is my guess). I went down the list and it is pretty comprehensive, but there are some important commands missing. Things like @ are used alot in the game. That's an easy one but many new players would have no clue that they can use it for a lot of functionality, like @focus, @mark 1, etc. Some really important ones that are missing are @mouseoverui, @mouseover, [notactive], #, [], etc...

Macro command functionality I'd like to see in the game

I know that the devs have said some more commands maybe coming in. I have constantly asked for heal/harm functionality and will keep asking for it. I can get it right now on live, through a quite gimmicky way of setting macro's. It's just annoying the way it has to be done and not as fully functional as what I had in previous games. I know I can use castontargets target, but when used this way it sometimes seems to give a weird delay in casting when using a multi-funtion macro with more than 1 command. I would prefer a better system so I don't have to jimmy it! I do have some [alt] and [control] commands, but this system has it's own limitations as well.
    In the live game I have to turn off castontargetstarget and make the macro like this...
    #show Pain Transmission
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [alt] Bond of Pain
    cast [control] Vex
    cast Pain Transmission
    cast Siphon Vitality
    cast @mouseoverui [friendly] Ghastly Restoration
    cast @mouseoverui [friendly] Loathsome Restoration

then I have to switch targets manually on the initial heal, even though i have a mouseoverui command. I have tried smart targeting with this but the behaviour is weird...it grabs freindly/hostile units around you in range at random. That's fine for soloing but not raid healing.

Heres what I would rather have in funtionality (i want to be able to dps a target but switch to mouseover healing on the fly in the same macro), without losing my hostile target. I want the system to KNOW what to do by what my macro is telling it. Is it too much to ask to be able to dps but heal on the fly with similar keys...without having a ton of macro's to do it? We are gonna have even more problems with ability creep once we level to 65. At this rate on live it takes me nearly 3 bars worth of space for some roles like Defiler, unless I shove everything into cntr/alt/shift macro versions and then I can't remember where some things are if I have not played a role recently.

Example from an un-named game, would do it this way...

#show Pain Transmission
    suppressmacrofailures
    (first spell cast heals anyone you have moused over in raid frame regardless of haveing a hostile targeted, since it is at the top of the macro, has cooldown)
    cast @mouseoverui [friendly] Loathsome Restoration (second spell cast heals anyone you have moused over in raid frame regardless of haveing a hostile targeted, since it is at the top of the macro - no cooldown)
    cast [friendly] Ghastly Restoration (targets my target or myself by default if no friendly/hostile target selected - has cooldown)
    cast [friendly] Loathsome Restoration (targets my target or myself by default if no friendly/hostile target selected - no cooldown)
    cast [alt] [hostile] Bond of Pain (as long as you are not moused over a ui frame this will be the default spell cast if you hit alt)
    cast [control] Vex (as long as you are not moused over a ui frame this will be the default spell cast if you hit control)
    cast [hostile] Pain Transmission (as long as you are not moused over a ui frame this will be the default spell cast first - has cooldown)
    cast [hostile] Siphon Vitality (as long as you are not moused over a ui frame this will be the default spell second cast)

The above allows me to keep a hostile targeted and still be able to mouseover heal in the raid WITHOUT SWITCHING TARGETS. It's a lot to type, but it is so much easier in practice when you can just keep a hostile targeted, but mouseover whatever you want for emergency healing. Very simple and easy. Other games have an even simpler functionality that lets you have 2 targets at the same time, one friendly and one hostile. macro's are just built around that functionality and the game knows what to do as per your spell.

I have noticed that @hostile seems to be a command in the system already and gets no macro failures? @friendly doesn't seem to be in the system and I get a failure. So maybe the devs are going to allow better functionality eventually.

Anyways, those are my suggestions for TRUE smart targeting/macroing.
    Last edited by Isadore; 04-27-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isadore View Post
    cast @mouseoverui [friendly] Ghastly Restoration (first spell cast heals anyone you have moused over in raid frame regardless of haveing a hostile targeted, since it is at the top of the macro, has cooldown)
    So you want the "cast @mouseoverui [friendly]" to disable the cast at self function that you would normally get from healing abilities if targeting an enemy. Instead of using two different macros.

I see no reason for "cast [hostile]" as damaging abilities by default will cast at enemies currently targeted if there are no modifiers above it in the macro.

I dislike where the delete button for the macro is located, as i find as it's the closest one to macro script it's makes me think it's the save button.
    I would think to put it under tabs section would be a prime location for it.

Once a macro has been move from it's original location in the macro ui, the macro should be removed from any bar from the normal hud. While also removing it if a role change occurs and the macro slot hasn't be altered.
    If not this can lead to confusion when tying to use macros that were moved on the macro ui but not removed from the hud.

My own personal suggestion for new macro commands are:

cast [mod=Frostbite] Massive Blow

This "cast [mod=]" causes modifiers from the ability bar to trigger said command when present.
    So in short if Frostbite was active Massive Blow would cast, though if the mod wasn't active it would skip the command.

I can see this would be a helpful command for Shamans, Druids, Harbingers, Pyromancers, Assassins and maybe Inquisitors.

An advance version of this would be "cast [mod=Boon of Life@5] Nature's Touch" enabling you to set the command to cast when a set number of stacks has been reached.

cast [chargeon=100] Charged Blade
    cast [chargeoff=0] Charged Blade

These commands are only for mage.
    The "cast [chargeon=]" will cause charge consumers or abilities to activate when said charge is reached.
    While "cast [chargeoff=]" will cause charge consumers or abilities to deactivate when said charge is reached.

I can see these commands very much useful for any mage soul.

cast [debuff=Ashen_Defense] Ashen Defense

The "cast [debuff=]" will be used when the hostile target doesn't have said debuff, casting said ability.

cast [misbuff=Improved_Fire_Bolt] Fire Bolt

The "cast [misbuff=]" will be used when the friendly target or self is missing said buff, casting said ability.
    Last edited by Burninalways; 04-27-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    True Server First Prime GP: Anrak the Foul & Guurloth
    4/5 GSB
    4/4 GP
    4/4 DH

Quote Originally Posted by Burninalways View Post
    So you want the "cast @mouseoverui [friendly]" to disable the cast at self function that you would normally get from healing abilities if targeting an enemy. Instead of using two different macros.

I see no reason for "cast [hostile]" as damaging abilities by default will cast at enemies currently targeted if there are no modifiers above it in the macro.
    Yep, that's exactly what I want. The last 2 heals will default to either a hard target or myself anyways and do so now with my jimmy-rigged system, as long as I have self-cast selected in the combat setting under interface.

As far as [hostile] goes, it's a way to make sure that the game casts the appropriate spell when targeting a hostile enemy. Some other games do this too. I know it is not required right now though. I was trying to be as thourough as I could be in the descriptions on behaviour.

I did mess up on the original macro, right now [friendly] does not work. Was a miss-print when I was copy/pasting stuff around for my post in Word. So the original on live right now is...

#show Pain Transmission
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast [alt] Bond of Pain
    cast [control] Vex
    cast Pain Transmission
    cast Siphon Vitality
    cast @mouseoverui Ghastly Restoration
    cast @mouseoverui Loathsome Restoration
    Last edited by Isadore; 04-27-2014 at 06:52 PM.

My own personal suggestion for new macro commands are:

cast [mod=Frostbite] Massive Blow

This "cast [mod=]" causes modifiers from the ability bar to trigger said command when present.
    So in short if Frostbite was active Massive Blow would cast, though if the mod wasn't active it would skip the command.

I can see this would be a helpful command for Shamans, Druids, Harbingers, Pyromancers, Assassins and maybe Inquisitors.

cast [chargeon=100] Charged Blade
    cast [chargeoff=0] Charged Blade

These commands are only for mage.
    The "cast [chargeon=]" will cause charge consumers or abilities to activate when said charge is reached.
    While "cast [chargeoff=]" will cause charge consumers or abilities to deactivate when said charge is reached.

I can see these commands very much useful for any mage soul.

cast [debuff=Ashen_Defense] Ashen Defense

The "cast [debuff=]" will be used when the hostile target doesn't have said debuff, casting said ability.

cast [misbuff=Improved_Fire_Bolt] Fire Bolt

The "cast [misbuff=]" will be used when the friendly target or self is missing said ability, casting said ability.
    I like your suggestions as well, I can see them being very helpful. I know Trion are leary of making things too easy for us and I respect that, but some limitations right now are just annoyances. Nothing can really get much easier yet clunky than the current system we have now, anyways.
    Last edited by Isadore; 04-27-2014 at 06:57 PM.

I tried to clean up my command macro suggestion a bit and am re-posting here since I cannot change my original post. Hope this is a bit better to understand.

#show Pain Transmission
    suppressmacrofailures
    (heals anyone you have moused-over in raid frame regardless of haveing a hostile targeted, @mouseoverui and [friendly] take priority - has cooldown)

cast @mouseoverui [friendly] Loathsome Restoration (heals anyone you have moused-over in raid frame regardless of haveing a hostile targeted, @mouseoverui and [friendly] take priority - no cooldown)

cast [friendly] Ghastly Restoration (if no mouseover = defaults to current target, if no target at all then heals myself by default since I have selfcast selected in settings - has cooldown)

cast [friendly] Loathsome Restoration (if no mouseover = defaults to current target, if no target at all then heals myself by default since I have selfcast selected in settings - no cooldown)

cast [alt] [hostile] Bond of Pain (hostile target only = default spell cast if you hit alt)

cast [control] [hostile] Vex (hostile target only- default spell cast if you hit control)

cast [hostile] Pain Transmission (hostile target only - 1st spell cast -has cooldown)

cast [hostile] Siphon Vitality (hostile target only- 2nd cast - no cooldown)
    Last edited by Isadore; 04-27-2014 at 07:31 PM.

Here are my macro UI & functionality wishes:

1. If you move a macro it needs to update all action bars to match, including if you log in and play on a different computer. I'd consider it a bug if this doesn't work.

2. A way to show the icon, cooldown and toggle-state of an ability, but still show the macro text in the tooltip so you can quickly remind yourself what your macro actually does. E.g.: add a #showui command in addition to the #show command, and make showing the toggle-state work for abilities like the Cleric Obliterate ability.

3. Add a spell/ability name parameter to [notactive]. E.g.: cast [notactive blabla] blablabla

4. Add an [active <name>] command, that work would similarly to [notactive] but opposite - only cast if the named buff/debuff is active.

5. Add a /clearmentorlevel command, so you can hit a keyboard button to clear your mentor level. Possibly, just doing /mentorlevel without any level parameter could do this.

6. Add a /cleartarget command, to clear you current target. I'm currently using "/target @blablanotexisting" (or similar), which happens to do the same thing but it would be nice to have a proper way of doing it.

7. Add a /setlootffa command, to set the looting rules to free-for-all if you're the group/raid leader. Also, make FFA/master looting rules work if you're entering a dungeon with a full 5-man premade, using the LFG UI.
    Last edited by Beringer; 04-28-2014 at 12:15 AM.

I'm an altoholic: Thirteen 60 clerics, eleven 60 rogues, eleven 60 warriors, five 60 mages, etc...

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #8

Quote Originally Posted by usman View Post
    Really like the new UI, its a big improvement. However when i reorganise my macro's into the categories and get 3 yers worth of mess all nice and tidy, I then find that all my macro's have moved around on my hot key bars and thats a bit of a headache.
    Thanks, we are aware of the issue and hope to have a fix for it soon. It is not intended.

9.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #9

I dislike where the delete button for the macro is located, as i find as it's the closest one to macro script it's makes me think it's the save button.
    I would think to put it under tabs section would be a prime location for it.
    We received this same feedback from in-game user reports and I have since moved the Delete button to the far left and the Save button to the far right, also made the save button 10 pixels wider.
    Last edited by Gingers; 04-28-2014 at 03:28 PM.

I would like to be able to sort the buttons (alphabetize them).

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistica View Post
    I would like to be able to sort the buttons (alphabetize them).
    Say please?

Love the new ui though. Looking good.

Plane Walker

I really dislike the macro auto typing "cast" before my desired spell. its very annoying when I try to create macros because it does that ex. #show <click on spell> "cast" spell or /cast @gtae <click on spell> "cast" spell etc. Keep it the old way please
    Last edited by OwnaGeJuiCe; 04-29-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Ascendant

New macro UI is great, tho I frequently run into the bug it doesnt let me type special characters. eg #show where the # doesnt come up.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Gingers View Post
    We received this same feedback from in-game user reports and I have since moved the Delete button to the far left and the Save button to the far right, also made the save button 10 pixels wider.

We usually read from left to right here and it is common to see "Yes or No," more than it is to see "No or Yes". I suggest you put the delete button on the far right and the save on the left.

Telaran

One modifier I'd like was [rightclick]. Could be used fx. in Ascended Ressurection and Call of the Ascended macro
    Last edited by Sharana; 04-29-2014 at 11:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast