+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: VFX System Updates on PTS - We need your help!

1.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Rift Team

Default VFX System Updates on PTS - We need your help!

Howdy folks,

With this latest patch on PTS we've pushed up some code that optimizes our VFX on certain types of systems.

There are potential frame rate improvements for a lot of people here. This should be most noticeable in areas with a large amount of VFX (think raids, dungeons, pvp, open world bosses).

One of the scary things about optimizations is that they have a chance to break things for our users - that we simply can't find during our internal testing. This is where you come in! We'd really appreciate people logging in, trying to get into high VFX usage situations and seeing if they crash, stutter, or some other equally bad situation has popped up due to a specific video card/setting/magic being misaligned.

We'll organize some more formal playtests to get these sorts of situations in the new year - but any testing you do now, potential crashes, etc, are appreciated.

Thanks,

~Daglar

Time to see if my new r9 290 sees any gains over there.

Thanks for all the hard work guys.

Oh I see... nevermind.

yay
    Last edited by spaceboots; 12-17-2013 at 03:35 PM.

I do know that I have to turn my character to the low graphics setting for Conquests when I do them, so in these future tests, maybe turn on Conquest and see if we can fill it up and make it nice and ugly (especially like how it gets on the weekends). That'd be a pretty good test, I think.

Also, it may sound tacky but people tend to respond very well to incentive driven stuff, so making a public announcement in the actual game (when it comes time to do it, or even put it in the motd when people log on) with a 'test x number of hours with us and get a widget' or whatever, might be helpful to really get the numbers in that you may need?
    Faeblight Forever!

Can't wait to test this out in PTS raids. PBB was the first real raid where I had to turn things down because I needed real strict timing and lack of fps was not helping...not to mention several dendrome zone events or conquest.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Oh! Another idea for what you could implement to test: that elusive bug invasion that went away. I still look forward to somehow it returning to participate in it on LIVE servers, but you could crank that puppy up and people could get involved right when they log in. That one tested some limits on my compy when lots of people were running around doing that one.
    Faeblight Forever!

Plane Walker

You know, simply allowing people to actually hide other peoples spell effects would do wonders. Dunno why you all took it out but the option doesnt seem to do anything anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Xynvyctus View Post
    You know, simply allowing people to actually hide other peoples spell effects would do wonders. Dunno why you all took it out but the option doesnt seem to do anything anymore.
    Hit FX was never Spell effects.

Hit FX still works (the "splash" that happens on a mob while it's being hit).

Rift Chaser

Gotta test this out, hope there is performance increases the live version doesn't like my

MSI GTX 660 gaming OC-ed to 1488MHz clock and 3502 MHz memory clock (DDR5)

for some reason .... more fps is good fps

Hope flickering is fixed.
    Noco@Wolfsbane

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    There are potential frame rate improvements for a lot of people here. This should be most noticeable in areas with a large amount of VFX (think raids, dungeons, pvp, open world bosses).
    Can you please be more specific? Should people with low end systems using the low quality rendered be looking for improvements or should people with Quad core Haswells and GTX Titans be looking for speed changes?
    Last edited by Juxtaposed; 12-17-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtaposed View Post
    Can you please be more specific? Should people with low end systems using the low quality rendered be looking for improvements or should people with Quad core Haswells and GTX Titans be looking for speed changes?

I could be wrong but this changes (if they work) shoukd be a FPS + for all Systems, at least the way i understand the Term VFX...

Cant wait to test it out with my old toaster

And on the Topic FPS, could we have a option to hide players without holding a button( that are not in your group) ? If this could be mixed with the client dont rendering players/spells/etc. of ppl not in your grp, open world content could have a huge fps + if im not dead wrong here
    Last edited by R3db4ss; 12-17-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    This game is not and never will be balanced for 1 vs 1.
    ~Daglar

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by R3db4ss View Post
    I could be wrong but this changes (if they work) shoukd be a FPS + for all Systems, at least the way i understand the Term VFX...
    He said "a lot of people," instead of "all systems." The fact that we're both a little unclear about it is why I asked

Get me into a raid with 20 sabs and ill let you know. As it stands on live, with just about everything that I can think of turned off and the software renderer, I get .5-2fps during raids

Rift Chaser

Not quite sure if I will see any improvements as I get more FPS (maxed settings) in a raid (40-50) that is in full swing AoEing and fighting bosses than I do afking in tempest bay (25-30).

Ill give it a test though to see if I notice anything, even if this is a tweak for lower systems (mine is not top of the range though) I will be happy I know many people who have the dreaded 5 fps in raids *fingers crossed* for them.
    Last edited by SoulPlay; 12-17-2013 at 06:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast