+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Big Changes Coming to Iron Pine on PTS Next Week!

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Tacitus's Avatar

Default Big Changes Coming to Iron Pine on PTS Next Week!

Zone - Iron PineNext week, the PTS will be updated with the revised Iron Pine Peak content. Like FM/SW/SF/GW before, it will feature the updated questing style and additional porticulums (Whitefall Lift and Pilgrim's Crossing).

The BIG change though is that Iron Pine Peak has been converted to a lower level zone. Iron Pine is now intended for characters level 27 to 35, paralleling SG/SR.

Obviously this is a pretty large change, and people checking it out would be very much appreciated. I will schedule some time next week to be publicly on the PTS for a round of focused Iron Pine testing as well.

I will update this thread on Monday with details about when the PTS will be updated and when the focused test will be.

Look forward to seeing some of you out in the snow next week!
    Rift Team Designer
    Live Content Watch Commander

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

Ascendant

This seems like an odd choice. SG/SR seems like already to much real estate from a level perspective.

If you can, are you able to talk about why you decided to do this?

It doesn't affect me much but It seems like it creates a gap near the top and bunches to much up at that 32-37 range.

Also I assume still no IA's which makes it another odd choice.

Another concern is that the portal to SL is in this zone which could be confusing to some players potentially.

Not meaning to sound critical but I definitely have some concerns.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    This seems like an odd choice. SG/SR seems like already to much real estate from a level perspective.

If you can, are you able to talk about why you decided to do this?
    I'll be writing up a dev blog to be released shortly after 2.5 explaining some of the background in greater detail, but I'll can answer some of this briefly.

It doesn't affect me much but It seems like it creates a gap near the top and bunches to much up at that 32-37 range.
    Also I assume still no IA's which makes it another odd choice.
    Actually, the one level band where we have had the most consistent feedback since launch for a lack of content is right around level 30. Post-lvl 35, there is an abundance of content, between DL and MH starting at lvl 36, SS kicking in at 42 (and going to 50), SM kicking in at 44 (and going to 50)... IPP was another group in the same range. And yet... you couldn't level staying in IP. It had enough quests to cover 40-44 and then the content got thin and leveled up faster than a player following the quest lines did. The idea is that you had hop between zones, but nothing suggests that and it seems silly.

Meanwhile, while there are two leveling paths with different environments up through lvl 26 (one for each faction), at lvl 27 everyone gets the same path - SG/SR. Moving IP gives us an alternate path for players to follow, moves a band of content where we have been traditionally thin, and it's a visually interesting zone earlier in the game.

Another concern is that the portal to SL is in this zone which could be confusing to some players potentially.
    We already added NPCs that do the same function next to the porticulums in Meridian and Sanctum. The portal in the middle of the frozen lake is already superfluous in functionality other than being needed for the story quest line from the Tempest Rising world event - and Tempest Rising is finally being retired in 2.5 (as posted in the Adventures forum section).

So the porticulum there is gone. Actually, pretty cool (in my mind at least) - when players are leveling there now, that temple in the ice and the roof of the Chancel are once again intact. Once a player has completed the Exodus of the Storm Queen instance or finished one of the quests that sent them out to the Storm Legion zones, they will see the broken version of the environment that was left behind by Crucia's escape.
    Last edited by Tacitus; 10-25-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    Rift Team Designer

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

4.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #4

Oh, for those that have worried about potential removal of factional content for the lore of the game, all the quests regarding the Guardians and Defiants competing for influence over the Icewatch are still there. None were removed.

For those caring about the lore, you will find two chunks of the old story missing - forging a weapon for the Icewatch at lvl 41 and Chasing Chekharoth at lvl 50. Both story lines will be returning in the very near future, but will not be present for 2.5. And forging the weapon will no longer be:

"Hey we just met you
    And this is crazy
    But here's the secret recipe for our most guarded weapons
    So craft one maybe"
    And we'll give you some gloves.

Story line will come back, but I'll be making it a bit cooler than a Carly Rae song.
    Last edited by Tacitus; 10-25-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    Rift Team Designer

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Oh, for those that have worried about potential removal of factional content for the lore of the game, all the quests regarding the Guardians and Defiants competing for influence over the Icewatch are still there. None were removed.

For those caring about the lore, you will find two chunks of the old story missing - forging a weapon for the Icewatch at lvl 41 and Chasing Chekharoth at lvl 50. Both story lines will be returning in the very near future, but will not be present for 2.5. And forging the weapon will no longer be:

"Hey we just met you
    And this is crazy
    So craft one maybe"

Story line will come back, but I'll be making it a bit cooler than a Carly Rae song.
    This may seem...odd. But have you guys kicked around the idea of having some chronicles that maybe carry forward some of these story elements rather than trying to work them back in? One area where I have always felt Rift lacked was presenting a compelling story. And while I realize a great many people don't care about the lore, I feel more people WOULD if it was presented in a more interesting manner. I personally love chronicles and it seems others do also but right now chronicles are a "higher level thing". Does that make sense?

And maybe in order to save resources (ie finding a dungeon/raid environment to pop it into) perhaps have the chronicle take place inside the zone in the open world itself. (instanced of course, similar to how slivers work).

I always felt that 30-42 was extremely weak in Rift but not because of lack of content but because the content is fairly boring. IPP is an awesome zone. Scarwood isn't even that bad but Scarlet Gorge is frankly probably the worst and it comes off the conclusion of big storylines in the defiant and guardian zones and there seems to be no real through line to hold people's interest. I think 2 zones worth of content is frankly more than enough but I think people just get bored and that may be where some of the feedback is coming from (ie this change for IPP may not fix the issue). Again I'm not saying "this idea is terrible, thou must not do it!" just that maybe the solution is something else.

Also IA's. I know I don't have to tell you this, you are the IA guy. But every newbie I meet seems to be leveling via IA's and right now the zones missing it stick out like a sore thumb. Especially since IA's are fully cross shard the potential for people to level at a pace that meets their expectations (IE fast) is there more than ever. But I feel it does everyone a disservice (particularly you devs) if they don't see some zones at all because IA's don't exist there.

Anyways I'll try and pop on and give some feedback, dunno if I'll be on for the actual test but I'll definitely give my thoughts.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 10-25-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

This is so weird.

However, your reasoning seems... sound?

Is the stuff like Kain bits still fluid from Scarwood to Iron Pine? That's really the confusing bit for me...

Everything else at least seems fine. But damn, that IS a BIG change!

I assume Abyssal Precipice is the same.
    Maeloda ~ Defiant Kelari Male Rogue ~ Level 60 (Expert) ~ Faeblight ~ Prismatic Legion

GSB 5/5, GP 4/4, DH 4/4, RoS* 4/4 || HK 11/11, RotP 0/4 || ID 1/8, PF 0/4 ||| FT 0/4, TotSQ 4/4, EE 0/5, I-DH 0/4 || GA 0/4, TIG 0/3, PBB 0/5 ||| BOB 0/4
    * = Conqueror

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    This is so weird.

However, your reasoning seems... sound?

Is the stuff like Kain bits still fluid from Scarwood to Iron Pine? That's really the confusing bit for me...

Everything else at least seems fine. But damn, that IS a BIG change!

I assume Abyssal Precipice is the same.
    I didn't even think about AP. Its probably my favorite old world launch dungeon. Hope it stays intact.

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #8

Abyssal Precipice is untouched. Aside from all mob kills in it granting more notoriety.

The Kain story arc remains untouched and is still a level 42 quest arc coming story-wise after the events of Scarwood Reach. I want to add in a better breadcrumb to guide players back to that hub around lvl 42 if they have previously done the SR arc, but that will be after 2.5.
    Rift Team Designer

Ascendant

It just makes me really sad to read this, and I worry about what will be left of the zone after this .... IPP was ... or wait, for now still is, such a great zone .... I wish I could wrap the old one up to keep on using it ...

10.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #10

Quote Originally Posted by Faerugue View Post
    [COLOR="lemonchiffon"]It just makes me really sad to read this, and I worry about what will be left of the zone after this .... IPP was ... or wait, for now still is, such a great zone .... I wish I could wrap the old one up to keep on using it ...
    What is missing (long term that is, not short term for the two arcs mentioned above)?

A few of the more bizarre lvl 50 dailies. The Steampike revolving dailies that were an early prototype of game play that worked poorly and was never done again. Being sent into the same cave 2 or 3 times (instead you get to do all the content of a cave in ONE pass). Oh, and some breadcrumbs got removed. For example, nothing sends you up to the Blood Iron Pools anymore. Nothing up there was key to the main story lines. But if you go up there, all the quests remain, because it is nice to leave some content for the explorers.

Almost nothing got removed. Some objectives that used to be two simultaneous quests got merged into one, but the objectives are still there, and the story bits thread together.

A few things got added. Like the troop training from the Tempest Rising dailies. It felt appropriate to the lore of the zone, so it got incorporated into the permanent content (releveled to match the rest of the zone).
    Rift Team Designer

Prophet of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

I remember suggesting that Ember Isles be downgraded to this level range, but this is better. Certainly it flows better. Trading less SR dependency for more DL dependency is a small improvement also, for me personally.

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #12

Quote Originally Posted by Silverangel69 View Post
    I remember suggesting that Ember Isles be downgraded to this level range
    We investigated that. There was a lot of interest internally to do so. Flow, as you suggest, was one the main reasons we didn't. The quest story flow for the two factions relied on the level range being flat.
    Rift Team Designer

Ascendant

And forging the weapon will no longer be:

"Hey we just met you
    And this is crazy
    So craft one maybe"
    I'm sure the writer/developer who did that work appreciates your condescending description of it .. unless it was you, in which case one wonders why you did it in the first place.
    Last edited by Kerin; 10-26-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Ascendant

The BIG change though is that Iron Pine Peak has been converted to a lower level zone. Iron Pine is now intended for characters level 27 to 35, paralleling SG/SR.
    What about resource nodes? This is going to seriously reduce the number of T4/T5 nodes in the game, which are already not entirely abundant.

Ascendant

*snip*
    Thank you for taking the time to respond and give some more details. It's just that I'm one of those addicts that just makes new toons for leveling and go through the older content again, and IPP really is awesome.

But with the changes for Gloamwood for instance, Gloamwood just isn't what it was, it's not 'gloamy' any longer as some say. I guess I'll just have to wait and see (gosh, just got two lastest ones to level 51, now it seems like I'm going to have make more toons to level and see! With my current 7 lvl 60s it's going to be hard to pick what to do next ) what it turns out to be .... I do hope the atmosphere will remain what it is now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast