+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: loyalty pay-wall and the auction house

Default loyalty pay-wall and the auction house

while i was on the PTS i noticed that without any loyalty i cant even search the auction house let alone purchase anything. Preventing new players from being able to buy potions and armor through the AH is a rather horrible idea and it hurts paying customers who sell items. I can sorta understand preventing them from selling items, but every F2P MMO i played that blocked buying on the AH ended up changing it right away because it pissed a ton of people off.

is there a Trion post somewhere listing all of the restrictions you get if you dont get the 1500 loyalty? if not there needs to be so that people at least know what to expect.

1500 loyalty is buying 750 credits and not spending them, or buying less (if it were possible) and spending them, or having one month of subscription time/patron status.

This is a must have in place to keep bots from selling their wares on the AH. Do you really want it flooded and controlled by farming accounts that are selling wares that have probably been stolen from other accounts? Or selling mats some both account harvests?

It's not the best implementation to combat RMT or botting, but it is a solution they can implement right now. I applaud their efforts, even if it might annoy a few people.

EDIT: I do agree, buying on the AH might be nice to have. But that's about it.
    Last edited by Techie Will; 06-11-2013 at 10:48 AM.

right i understand that it is required to have, but they can adjust what they lock behind it. But what they are doing is stopping paying members from making money off of the free members.

And really now days who is going to play a game where they cant even buy armor, food, potions without spamming trade chat. I know that its only 5 bucks to be able to unlock that but they haven't posted anywhere for non forum lurkers to let them know this is being implemented. What you will end up with is people trying out the game and within the first 15 levels are going to run in to this.

Well that and i was planning on making a bunch of lowbie crap to sell but that's not going to work nearly as well now.

edit: and it isn't even just buying that is blocked. i wasn't even able to search it at all, as soon as you hit hte search button the AH window closes and says not enough loyalty
    Last edited by Sadique; 06-11-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Shield of Telara

They open the AH at such a low loyalty level I don't see why it matters.

They need something in place to stop the gold farmers from abusing it.

I wouldn't consider this a wall at all. It is not necessary functionality in order to enjoy the game. It is a luxury and has a cost, as it should.

it matters because even if it cost a dollar, its still a pay wall, i'm not trying to say it shouldn't be there, i'm saying that they should block selling and not block buying. Are you not understanding that by blocking them from buying that it is hurting paying customers as well? all those new players who chose not to spend any money will not be able to purchase any of your items on the auction house.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Hydron View Post
    I wouldn't consider this a wall at all. It is not necessary functionality in order to enjoy the game. It is a luxury and has a cost, as it should.
    The ability to buy and sell on the AH is not a luxury. It is a needed function of the game. That is why you find it repeated in some form in every MMO. Because it is not possible to get every item you may need as a drop or quest reward in any reasonable way.

Plain and simple it is a paywall to regular game play. I understand what they are trying to do. I understand the reasoning behind it.

I am only suggesting they should take another look at this issue and not put play limitations on new players that require paying to play the game.

Possible suggestion: Instead of limiting them to no purchases. Limit the buy and sell ability to the plat cap that is also in place. Make an account only able to make purchases each week equal to the plat cap.
    That would make it useless to the gold farmers. But would not create a block to new players.
    Just a suggestion.

Shield of Telara

It is a luxury and certainly isn't needed.

Your comments "not possible" and "reasonable way" make no sense. The AH provides a quick way to get things that you could obtain yourself at the cost of time, a luxury.

Or are you entitled it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sadique View Post
    it matters because even if it cost a dollar, its still a pay wall, i'm not trying to say it shouldn't be there, i'm saying that they should block selling and not block buying. Are you not understanding that by blocking them from buying that it is hurting paying customers as well? all those new players who chose not to spend any money will not be able to purchase any of your items on the auction house.
    This is not a pay wall. You can get 1500 loyalty easily without spending real cash. Just use the in-game chat to sell things until you have the play to buy a REX. Consuming the REX will instantly grant you 2500 loyalty.

Also, it was said that loyalty can be gained by participating in PTS testing, which even eliminates a pay wall via in-game currency.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Hydron View Post
    It is a luxury and certainly isn't needed.

Your comments "not possible" and "reasonable way" make no sense. The AH provides a quick way to get things that you could obtain yourself at the cost of time, a luxury.

Or are you entitled it?
    This statement is not worthy of an actual discussion. Please try to be productive in your comments to help keep the conversation helpful to the people that read this. The whole "you are not entitled" argument in no way helps farther a conversation. And that is all I have to say about that.

"This is not a pay wall. You can get 1500 loyalty easily without spending real cash. Just use the in-game chat to sell things until you have the play to buy a REX. Consuming the REX will instantly grant you 2500 loyalty.

Also, it was said that loyalty can be gained by participating in PTS testing, which even eliminates a pay wall via in-game currency."

I understand what you are saying. But realistically there is nothing a new player is likely to be able to sell in chat that will make them able to afford Rex. I wish that were true but it is not currently the case in Rift.
    As for the PTS testing, I have not heard of that and have no clue how that would be implemented. The problem is I am an experienced player and have never heard of it. The chance that I new player will know anything about it are currently very small. If this is true it is not common knowledge and has no current implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    This is not a pay wall. You can get 1500 loyalty easily without spending real cash. Just use the in-game chat to sell things until you have the play to buy a REX. Consuming the REX will instantly grant you 2500 loyalty.
    "Easily"???! Suggesting that a fresh Rift newbie, without access to the AH at all, could raise the (I estimate) 1200-1500 plat a Rex will likely cost, just so they can then access the AH, is... well..... a very silly thing to say.

I understand the need to control botters and gold farmers. I can see reasoning to restrict selling, but not so much buying. The described restrictions do seem somewhat heavy-handed, and not likely to inspire many new players to continue for as long as they would otherwise.
    Founder, and sometime Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Fangthane View Post
    "Easily"???! Suggesting that a fresh Rift newbie, without access to the AH at all, could raise the (I estimate) 1200-1500 plat a Rex will likely cost, just so they can then access the AH, is... well..... a very silly thing to say.

I understand the need to control botters and gold farmers. I can see reasoning to restrict selling, but not so much buying. The described restrictions do seem somewhat heavy-handed, and not likely to inspire many new players to continue for as long as they would otherwise.
    this right here, the odds of people deciding to spend money on the game will typically come later in game. Not being able to use the AH will not encourage people to stick around and actually spend money.

Champion of Telara

Are you guys worried about botters buying items on the AH if they cannot post anything? I agree with the OP about buying. Newbies should be able to spend their gold (they ain't gonna have plat) on low-tier consumables and crafting mats. They may not be able to post anything for sale, but I see no reason to restrict the purchase of whatever is up for sale.
    Last edited by Patchkid; 06-11-2013 at 01:18 PM.

13.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #13
    Rift Team

This is an oversight. Just created a task for this to be changed - it will not make tomorrows release, but will come in the near future.

~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    This is an oversight. Just created a task for this to be changed - it will not make tomorrows release, but will come in the near future.

~Daglar
    oh thank goodness, glad to hear it Daglar.

Telaran

So the AH won't make today's fix it seems, you advertised this as No Tricks and No Traps. It just seems like your going to try and profit from your own mistake.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast