+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Current Change to Marks of Notoriety

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    @Gynxz
    I don't think you have an accurate grasp of the situation. Rep will not be the primary gating mechanism post 2.3, that's ridiculous. The dedicated players will have all their rep maxed and Grim Awakening both cleared in the first week with ease. (barring impossible encounters)
    What this change does is invalidate dozens if not hundreds of hours work by hundreds, possibly thousands of players to delay them by 7 or 8 hours on June 12th.

No player could've thought this was intended

I don't think most people are saying they love Zone Events, they're saying they absolutely hate spamming Great Hunts for an entire day of their lives and Zone Events are a preferable alternative.

xEvents are also not intended and are incredibly rewarding in types and amount of rewards vs effort. Also, those dedicated players you mention will do ghunts, events, IA or fishing if thats the way to get ahead. Most arguments are irrelevant. Rep is not intended to be grinded and, those that do it will use any methods. Either way, irrelevant.

You are however spot on that this mess is entirely of Trion's creation. Usually I'm very supportive of their actions but when they *****slap me across the face and rob me of much of my vacation time I'm not particularly impressed.
    This is a case of people trying to take advantage of something that seemed too good to be true and Trion making it clear it really was.

You know whats Trions winning argument? "Live actions should NEVER be dictated by PTS content. All PTS content is tempprary, subject to change and made to serve a different purpose that what makes it to live"

If you got "robbed of much of your vacation time" it was because YOU tried to take advantage of a possibility of a big profit based on your interpretation of some unreliable content.. You gambled and, in this case, lost. Theres nothing else to it and complaining just make ppl look worst. It was just a bad bet, live with it and move on

This doesnt replace my arguments about what Trion could have done to mitigate this situation by making an earlier statement.

So, the stack of notoriety marks I have is basically pointless? I've picked them up doing events, and since I am capped with notoriety for months already, I kept them for future use. (Since other people do benefit from getting them from events, I hoped I could use them at a later date).

Apparantly there's now going to be a daily quest that lets me turn one in? That means that doing more than one event/day is going to leave you with useless marks, and above all, if you already have marks squirreled away, you'll never be able to use them beyond one/day.

Not a very nice change at all.
    Last edited by Rarz; 06-10-2013 at 07:23 AM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Rarz View Post
    So, the stack of notoriety marks I have is basically pointless? I've picked them up doing events, and since I am capped with notoriety for months already, I kept them for future use. (Since other people do benefit from getting them from events, I hoped I could use them at a later date).

Apparantly there's now going to be a daily quest that lets me turn one in? That means that doing more than one event/day is going to leave you with useless marks, and above all, if you already have marks squirreled away, you'll never be able to use them beyond one/day.

Not a very nice change at all.
    You and many others in this tread are making asumptions and stateing things that just are not true setting in panic. It was never said you can only turn in only one a day. The only dev post said they are planning to make these useful and the pts isn't updated since so we don't know what that is.

4.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #109

Just wanted to update you on where things currently stand:
    • Any Torvan/Lycini Commendations you currently possess at the start of 2.3 will grant notoriety through Venerated. The change on PTS that made them cap at Glorified will be reverted. If you want a head-start on Venerated, buy these before 2.3 and hold onto them.
    • At the start of 2.3, Nerina Uluan will cease selling Commendations. Instead, she will offer a daily quest that exchanges 10 Marks of Notoriety for an auto-consume item that grants 1000 notoriety with one of the five Storm Legion factions. These grant notoriety through Venerated as well.
    • Notoriety-granting items for the new 2.3 factions will not be offered by Nerina until a later date. In the same manner as currency vouchers, wed like to evaluate the situation on Live for a period of time before we add more sources of notoriety.

I know many are not pleased with these changes, and I regret that our most dedicated players are often the ones who are impacted when these kinds of issues are addressed. However, reaching Venerated so soon (immediately in some cases) after 2.3 launches was a problem that needed fixing.

Great post Mike thanks for providing the full information. We just ask that, in the future, we get a heads up specially when Trion was informed of this over 2 weeks ago. I understand that a final decision wasnt made but a simple "we are aware of this and are working on a solution so this can't be abused".

Thanks again

Cheers for the update Mike, whilst it's not what I really hoped for, that's as good as I expected we would get. Thanks for listening to and addressing our concerns, I can see this was a tough call.
    Nope.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    And this is in fact false. Of useful value, the capacity is at 150 PER CHARACTER, 50 of each torvan, lycini, and generic. Or 900 per account. And that is with zero so called exploiting. None at all. It is a number large enough that any opinion of so called exploiting is moot and immaterial as the amount you could completely and fully legit have is effectively greater than the amount required to get max rep!

So quite honestly, in this case, any talking about an exploit is completely immaterial to the discussion of the change in functionality as anything considered and exploit has actually no effect since the legit amount that can be stored is greater than the ammount needed to reach max rep.
    Sorry, 150. I wasn't really considering Lycini because you get the rep passively or after a couple of hours in Pelladane. Not a big deal.

As for your "900 per account" BS, that is 100% irrelevant. Rep is not shared, so why does it matter if your alts get rep? The only way a number like 900 is relevant is if you're able to mail the marks and perform a mass turn-in. (AKA the exploit). I'm sorry that you wasted your time on an exploit which Trion fixed; that's not a legitimate reason to complain here.
    Last edited by Ahov; 06-10-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    The only way a number like 900 is relevant is if you're able to mail the marks and perform a mass turn-in. (AKA the exploit)..
    Incorrect. The exploit is one character having more than 50 at a time. If you had 50 on each alt, at no time would any character have more than 50. Unless you are saying the exploit is the ability to mail bound to account items between characters your logic is flawed.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by LoisGriffin View Post
    Incorrect. The exploit is one character having more than 50 at a time. If you had 50 on each alt, at no time would any character have more than 50. Unless you are saying the exploit is the ability to mail bound to account items between characters your logic is flawed.
    Ok let's bring some context back to this, because you're missing it.

Past few weeks, a lot of people have been grinding out marks of notoriety, and when they reached the cap of 50 they were mailing them to alts. From there, the plan was to continue grinding marks, well-over the intended cap of 50, and then on 2.3 they would send the marks via mail. Once 50 were consumed, they could accept 50 more. That was the exploit.

Having more than 50 at one time is the same thing as having 50, using them, and then mailing more from your alt. If Trion intended for you to mail across alts to get more than 50, they would not have capped the marks at 50. Pretty simple logic.

Trion prevented the exploit from taking full effect with their first implementation (reason this thread was started). Were there possibly better solutions? Sure, and it was implemented more recently. Now, you can still redeem at least some amount of the consumables, but they are not bind-to-account, and thus you cannot abuse the mail. Thing is, people who grinded out 500 marks should not be complaining over a bug-fix. Common sense dictated it was a bug, and to grind out tons of marks under the expectation that Trion wouldn't fix it, is silly. Similar circumstance is those who grinded the wisp in Unhallowed Boneforge for hours and then had their PAs deleted by Trion. After the first 15 minutes you probably should have viewed it as an exploit....
    Last edited by Ahov; 06-10-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Plane Touched

I understand what you are saying but there is no 'exploit' involved if each alt has 50 marks. There is an unintended consequence of trion making these items bind on account, but it does not bypass the intended 50 per character limit.

It's like saying those that ground out the pyrite dubloons on alts and then mailed the mounts to their mains were exploiting as each character was only meant to have one mount.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by LoisGriffin View Post
    I understand what you are saying but there is no 'exploit' involved if each alt has 50 marks. There is an unintended consequence of trion making these items bind on account, but it does not bypass the intended 50 per character limit.

It's like saying those that ground out the pyrite dubloons on alts and then mailed the mounts to their mains were exploiting as each character was only meant to have one mount.
    You acknowledge the limit was set, yet you don't see the exploit by bypassing the limit? Having 50 on your character, and then receiving 300 more from your other characters, is clearly bypassing the limit and should be considered an exploit. This shouldn't be hard to understand. Right now it seems you and others are arguing semantics. You don't understand the two scenarios are exactly the same. Having more than 50 marks on one character is precisely the same thing as spending 50 and then receiving 50 more in the mail.

Questioning the limit in the first place is something else entirely, but I'm not seeing much of that yet. So far I've seen a bunch of people trying to argue that it's only an exploit if you literally controlled more than 50x marks at once on a character, which is actually counterproductive to your cause.
    Last edited by Ahov; 06-11-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    Just wanted to update you on where things currently stand:
    • Any Torvan/Lycini Commendations you currently possess at the start of 2.3 will grant notoriety through Venerated. The change on PTS that made them cap at Glorified will be reverted. If you want a head-start on Venerated, buy these before 2.3 and hold onto them.

I know many are not pleased with these changes, and I regret that our most dedicated players are often the ones who are impacted when these kinds of issues are addressed. However, reaching Venerated so soon (immediately in some cases) after 2.3 launches was a problem that needed fixing.
    Thx for the feedback/update on this matter and thx for listening - absolutely o.k. for me and many others I know.
    .: WHITE WING :.
    Bansheee - Brutwacht EU
    www.whitewing.eu
    PBB 1/5 | IG 1/3 | GA 3/4 | EE 5/5 | FT 4/4 | TDQ 4/4

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    That's going to happen regardless of notoriety consumables or not.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Riane View Post
    That's going to happen regardless of notoriety consumables or not.
    QFT

/10char

This is a lot of, "i found a clever way to exploit, and now Trion won't let me" QQ... so boo hoo away!
    Founder, and sometime Cleric

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast