+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree73Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Dimension Tier 5 Upgrade

  1. #1
    Ascendant Feendish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,497

    Default Dimension Tier 5 Upgrade

    On the PTS, the platinum cost for the 5th tier of upgrades to all dimensions is exorbitant.

    A dimension that costs 600p to buy and upgrade to 1000 items now costs 3,875p to double the item count? With no alternative method of being able to do so, such as in-store credits?

    As a deeply addicted dimensioneer, these prices are very distressing. I've read posts about excess plat needing to be drained from the economy, but I can safely say that 90% of the people I know, particularly those who build--constantly--do not have these deep reserves of platinum. We're already spending it, time and time again, with grinding and farming in between to get items and farm the money for the next build. There is no excess.

    I've read posts that there will be a 15% boost to platinum gains earned through questing and grinding. Fair enough. 15% will not equate to an increase that substantial in costs.

    Some solutions: Tier the final upgrade. Have the final price remain unchanged, but additional tiers will make the grind less painful and the goal more attainable (because when goals are unattainable, they're not goals, they're pipe dreams).

    Make the final upgrade available through credits. I, for one, would be willing to pay a reasonable amount of credits for the final tier.

    Reduce the price, significantly. Between the platinum costs of new items (which by themselves almost caused me to suffer an aneurysm from sticker shock) and the costs of the final upgrade...Bluntly put, I can't afford it, and neither can several other people I know. The dimensioneers who throw up build after build are generally not the people sitting on piles of platinum, as has been stated many, many times.

    I prefer to earn things in game, I don't want things handed to me, I understand farming and grinding to pay for things, but this is a point where farming and grinding would become all I ever did, and that isn't fun.
    Dimensions on Greybriar: Tumbleweed Retreat: Sakura no niwa : Temple of the Vigilant Messenger : The Rain Lamp : Welcome Home : Chateau de Redneck : After the Storm : The Good Life : Valley of the Lost: Ancient Splendors : Country Cottage : Crowned by Stars : Serenity Falls : Cloud Garden : Autumn Lakes Manor
    The Dimension Touring Company: Dimension Reviews : Player Creations : Buiilding Tips

  2. #2
    Champion Maddori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    599

    Default

    I like all these suggestions. I like the thought of being able to purchase them with credits the most, though.
    I'd rather spend my plat on the more affordable things that I need on a day to day basis, instead of trying to hoard it all for one big purchase.
    Lils@Greybriar

    60 Rogue/Dimension Addict

  3. #3
    Plane Walker Foxfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    On the PTS, the platinum cost for the 5th tier of upgrades to all dimensions is exorbitant.

    A dimension that costs 600p to buy and upgrade to 1000 items now costs 3,875p to double the item count? With no alternative method of being able to do so, such as in-store credits?

    As a deeply addicted dimensioneer, these prices are very distressing. I've read posts about excess plat needing to be drained from the economy, but I can safely say that 90% of the people I know, particularly those who build--constantly--do not have these deep reserves of platinum. We're already spending it, time and time again, with grinding and farming in between to get items and farm the money for the next build. There is no excess.

    I've read posts that there will be a 15% boost to platinum gains earned through questing and grinding. Fair enough. 15% will not equate to an increase that substantial in costs.

    Some solutions: Tier the final upgrade. Have the final price remain unchanged, but additional tiers will make the grind less painful and the goal more attainable (because when goals are unattainable, they're not goals, they're pipe dreams).

    Make the final upgrade available through credits. I, for one, would be willing to pay a reasonable amount of credits for the final tier.

    Reduce the price, significantly. Between the platinum costs of new items (which by themselves almost caused me to suffer an aneurysm from sticker shock) and the costs of the final upgrade...Bluntly put, I can't afford it, and neither can several other people I know. The dimensioneers who throw up build after build are generally not the people sitting on piles of platinum, as has been stated many, many times.

    I prefer to earn things in game, I don't want things handed to me, I understand farming and grinding to pay for things, but this is a point where farming and grinding would become all I ever did, and that isn't fun.
    I totally agree with all of this, 100%. I am just very tired of waiting for a fix or a more definitive answer. And if the developers are tired of us repeating the same things over and over in all of these posts? Well all I can say to the developers about that, is you shouldn't have created the problem in the first place!!!!! Whoever thought these prices were justified to begin with is very out of touch with this player base, contrary to popular belief.

  4. #4
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default Sticker shock is right

    I doubt that people who've been sinking plat into dimensions have a lot of plat lying around gathering dust -- I know I don't, and between the hideous price tag for tier 5 and the insane pricing for the "new" dimension items in the store, I don't think I'll be able to do much 'dimensioning' in 2.3. This is sad, as it's one of the most interesting and sustainable parts of the game -- unlike grinding the same dungeons or daily quests or pvp (or whatever), building dimensions is different every time you build one -- which I think really adds to the longevity of the game.

    I have read the responses that the "old" dimension items are not increasing in price and therefore we're not "losing" anything we already had, but seriously - we are losing the opportunity to play with the new materials if we can't afford to buy them (and many things require MANY copies -- like floor tiles, windows, etc). I already support the game by subscribing -- and I plan (or planned) to continue subscribing, and do not want to have to spend a lot of money to buy overpriced items from the cash shop in order to continue to have fun.

    Please resolve this -- people will quickly tire of the cash shop (and the game) when they realize how much more the game costs when it's "free" than it did when it was a subscription.

  5. #5
    Plane Walker Foxfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Went to PTS just now and checked to see if any changes were made on this, since some of the item prices changed. Unfortunately, the answer is no....tier 5 is still the same as before.

  6. #6
    Ascendant Feendish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
    Went to PTS just now and checked to see if any changes were made on this, since some of the item prices changed. Unfortunately, the answer is no....tier 5 is still the same as before.
    Hopefully a compromise can be reached. I just spent 6,375p on the PTS to upgrade and buy ONLY building blocks for my Sophia dimension, since I've used all my credits and do not plan to buy any more for some time.

    On live...this would be impossible.
    Dimensions on Greybriar: Tumbleweed Retreat: Sakura no niwa : Temple of the Vigilant Messenger : The Rain Lamp : Welcome Home : Chateau de Redneck : After the Storm : The Good Life : Valley of the Lost: Ancient Splendors : Country Cottage : Crowned by Stars : Serenity Falls : Cloud Garden : Autumn Lakes Manor
    The Dimension Touring Company: Dimension Reviews : Player Creations : Buiilding Tips

  7. #7
    Champion Maddori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    Hopefully a compromise can be reached. I just spent 6,375p on the PTS to upgrade and buy ONLY building blocks for my Sophia dimension, since I've used all my credits and do not plan to buy any more for some time.

    On live...this would be impossible.
    I'm a little confused by them not having the upgrade available for credits from the get go. The other models of QoL upgrades follow that pattern. Role slots, wardrobe slots, profession slot, all the upgrade-able options that are things people have been begging for and are willing to spend cash on. Wouldn't it make sense that they would want to cash in on this profitable upgrade feature as well?
    Last edited by Maddori; 06-02-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    Lils@Greybriar

    60 Rogue/Dimension Addict

  8. #8
    Champion Akhor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    587

    Default

    I have a theory as to why this particular issue hasn't been addressed and I think it goes way back to when they said there was NO WAY they could raise item limits. We don't know the exact reason, we assume server space or something similar, how much is it costing Trion every time we pump out new dimensions?

    A certain player base here can be called "hardcore" dimensioneers. The type of players that want the latest and greatest, want to continue creating a new dimension every month, week, or whatever their previous schedule was. I don't consider myself that hardcore, just like I'm not in any other aspect of the game, I'm more of a jack of all trades.

    Now, say Trion found a way around the impossible (which they obviously did since they're doubling our item count), what did they have to do to get that? How much did it cost them to make this available to us? What if they have to offset the cost by making it so only those "hardcore" dimensioneers, who are willing to do whatever it takes to make the best dim possible, will actually upgrade the dimensions they feel they NEED the extra item space for? What if they didn't want to make it easily accessible so that someone would actually think before bloating their server space? In my mind that could very well explain the need for such high prices.

  9. #9
    Champion Maddori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
    I have a theory as to why this particular issue hasn't been addressed and I think it goes way back to when they said there was NO WAY they could raise item limits. We don't know the exact reason, we assume server space or something similar, how much is it costing Trion every time we pump out new dimensions?

    A certain player base here can be called "hardcore" dimensioneers. The type of players that want the latest and greatest, want to continue creating a new dimension every month, week, or whatever their previous schedule was. I don't consider myself that hardcore, just like I'm not in any other aspect of the game, I'm more of a jack of all trades.

    Now, say Trion found a way around the impossible (which they obviously did since they're doubling our item count), what did they have to do to get that? How much did it cost them to make this available to us? What if they have to offset the cost by making it so only those "hardcore" dimensioneers, who are willing to do whatever it takes to make the best dim possible, will actually upgrade the dimensions they feel they NEED the extra item space for? What if they didn't want to make it easily accessible so that someone would actually think before bloating their server space? In my mind that could very well explain the need for such high prices.
    You have a good point. If that's the case, I'd wish they just come out and let us know so we could move accept it and move on to other concerns. It's in the guesswork that's frustrating.
    Last edited by Maddori; 06-02-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    Lils@Greybriar

    60 Rogue/Dimension Addict

  10. #10
    Ascendant Feendish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
    I have a theory as to why this particular issue hasn't been addressed and I think it goes way back to when they said there was NO WAY they could raise item limits. We don't know the exact reason, we assume server space or something similar, how much is it costing Trion every time we pump out new dimensions?

    A certain player base here can be called "hardcore" dimensioneers. The type of players that want the latest and greatest, want to continue creating a new dimension every month, week, or whatever their previous schedule was. I don't consider myself that hardcore, just like I'm not in any other aspect of the game, I'm more of a jack of all trades.

    Now, say Trion found a way around the impossible (which they obviously did since they're doubling our item count), what did they have to do to get that? How much did it cost them to make this available to us? What if they have to offset the cost by making it so only those "hardcore" dimensioneers, who are willing to do whatever it takes to make the best dim possible, will actually upgrade the dimensions they feel they NEED the extra item space for? What if they didn't want to make it easily accessible so that someone would actually think before bloating their server space? In my mind that could very well explain the need for such high prices.
    Like Maddori, if this concern was addressed, I wouldn't have an issue. But, so far, the only response we've seen is that there's excess platinum in the economy and this is seen as a way to shift that platinum out.

    I do not consider myself a hardcore dimensioneer. Do I build a lot? Yes, I most certainly do. Of the nine active dimensions I currently have, there are perhaps only 2 and maybe 3 I would want to upgrade. If I had to squeeze that down, it would just be one. I have seen other people stating that they always come out well within the item count and so this is not a concern. That's great for them, not everyone is the same.

    I also understand that Trion has operating costs and that what they receive has to be a benefit to make it worth incurring those costs. That's what a business is about. I most certainly am not trying to have something for nothing, I have offered solutions that might give Trion and its players a means where both can be satisfied. This thread was not meant to be a whine-fest, but merely an attempt to address an issue and try to that issue responded to.
    Dimensions on Greybriar: Tumbleweed Retreat: Sakura no niwa : Temple of the Vigilant Messenger : The Rain Lamp : Welcome Home : Chateau de Redneck : After the Storm : The Good Life : Valley of the Lost: Ancient Splendors : Country Cottage : Crowned by Stars : Serenity Falls : Cloud Garden : Autumn Lakes Manor
    The Dimension Touring Company: Dimension Reviews : Player Creations : Buiilding Tips

  11. #11
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,880

    Default

    Explain this logic? Operating costs? How does only charging plat equate to recouping costs?

    Also, a person who has no plat and a dimension with 1000/1000 items will not be purchasing any new dimension items. People who are into dimensions are almost certainly item capped on all their dimensions. Wouldn't the smart thing be to make it EASY to upgrade? Hell, they should hand out free upgrades to level 5 so you can get in there and start buying new items with credits.

    None of this makes a lick of sense.

  12. #12
    Champion Akhor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliekelly View Post
    Explain this logic? Operating costs? How does only charging plat equate to recouping costs?

    Also, a person who has no plat and a dimension with 1000/1000 items will not be purchasing any new dimension items. People who are into dimensions are almost certainly item capped on all their dimensions. Wouldn't the smart thing be to make it EASY to upgrade? Hell, they should hand out free upgrades to level 5 so you can get in there and start buying new items with credits.

    None of this makes a lick of sense.
    What I mean is if they make it cost so high that only a few will do it then it saves them server space. Like I said, just a theory, but it makes sense to me.

    I've run minecraft servers off my personal computer, and it is amazing how much a file can jump in size when a bunch of people travel kilometers away from everyone else. A lesser comp wouldn't be able to keep up with too many people online or living too far apart so rather than have to dish out money myself or limit how many people can play I may ask that everyone stay in a certain radius. Maybe this is comparable maybe it's not, but it helps me understand why Trion may tell us we can't have something or may give it to us but make it hard to reach so not everybody jumps at the new limits whether they need them or not.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Ailene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Far far north (Norway)
    Posts
    1,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
    I have a theory as to why this particular issue hasn't been addressed and I think it goes way back to when they said there was NO WAY they could raise item limits.
    They've also said that they were not able to make CQ queues random, yet they were random for a while (wish they still were). They said they were not able to make appearance for weapons, but still we're getting a system for that with 2.3.

    I understand what you're saying, but I think it's more about the game's economy. Just like the rest of the really expensive stuff they've added to the game.

    Ailene - R90 Rogue - 4/4 GA - 3/3 IG - 5/5 PBB - 2/4 BoB (4/4 Minis)
    Mena - 4/4 GA - 3/3 IG - 3/5 PBB - 1/4 BoB (2/2 Minis)
    <Trash on Farm> on Gelidra

    That's what HE said...

  14. #14
    Ascendant Feendish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliekelly View Post
    Explain this logic? Operating costs? How does only charging plat equate to recouping costs?

    Also, a person who has no plat and a dimension with 1000/1000 items will not be purchasing any new dimension items. People who are into dimensions are almost certainly item capped on all their dimensions.
    Yes, it makes more sense to me to charge credits for the upgrade, if the worry is about operating costs. This would be a very direct benefit to the company, and to the customers who purchased the upgrade (who would then be able to buy the items to fill said dimension with their platinum or credits, whatever they chose).

    And yes, someone who has no plat will not be buying anything that requires plat.
    Last edited by Feendish; 06-03-2013 at 05:52 AM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar: Tumbleweed Retreat: Sakura no niwa : Temple of the Vigilant Messenger : The Rain Lamp : Welcome Home : Chateau de Redneck : After the Storm : The Good Life : Valley of the Lost: Ancient Splendors : Country Cottage : Crowned by Stars : Serenity Falls : Cloud Garden : Autumn Lakes Manor
    The Dimension Touring Company: Dimension Reviews : Player Creations : Buiilding Tips

  15. #15
    Champion Maddori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    599

    Default Now that the weekend is over..

    Any chance we can get a response on whether or not we will be able to purchase the 5th tier with credits? Or even if it's still tbd?
    Lils@Greybriar

    60 Rogue/Dimension Addict

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts