+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Defiler

Default Defiler

I figure this is the right place to ask a question, so what I'm posing is to all you clerics out there:

Have you found a conceivable way to use Defiler yet?

I've been playing with it all day, spent hundreds of plat respeccing and trying it with other souls...I figured it'd pair well with Cabalist, but the meager dps it provides does not justify subbing out another soul such as Inquisitor / Druid, the Beacon seems cool at first-glance but proves to be absolutely useless, as it seems to only funnel damage my way from anything in it's radius whereas a Satyr would just soak it like a champ...

The only thing I can see that it provides is delayed healing...but honestly, what the hell use is that? ST / MT heals that proc tiny HoTs? Is that what this class is built around? Or is it merely another pigeon-holed 'Support' role that underperforms every other calling?

I'll admit, I'm no hardcore raider or 24/7 PvPer, but I don't like just throwing my hands up without seeing if someone sees what I don't. If you've got an idea or a role I don't see, please feel free to give me some tips. I just can't help but feel that, compared to the other 3 new soul choices, this one is just garbage. : /

When you're able to get your 4th link at 58 points, it's pretty good at healing 5mans. Link up the party and spam damage and use feedback for party heals. But before that, it's basically useless. Soloing is slow compared to dps souls(defiler is a healing soul, by the way) and it doesn't have as much dps as dps souls, nor as much hps as warden, sentinel and purifier.

So far for raiding, you'll need one for the tank damage reduction with the links. Other than that, they don't provide anything. They have poor dps compared to dps souls and the other 3 healing souls do better at everything besides reducing tank damage by 25/20%.

Of course, a lot of this is subject to change.

This soul to me just doesn't fit, thematically, to my characters, like the Necromancer, its a soul I can never feel right with using. Using the powers of the planes in damage attacks is one thing, funneling them like a cabalist, inquisitor, shaman etc does, but the physical look of the totems they use looks way to "Regulos" to me. A step to far in the use of "evil" if you get what I mean.

The other 3 classess got some real cool stuff, but all clerics got was a twisted evil looking death magic wielding soul that would never fit in with any of my Defiant concepts, let alone Guardian concepts. If we played toons for the other side as well, then the Defiler would fit there, just not on our side.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvenaru View Post
    This soul to me just doesn't fit, thematically, to my characters, like the Necromancer, its a soul I can never feel right with using. Using the powers of the planes in damage attacks is one thing, funneling them like a cabalist, inquisitor, shaman etc does, but the physical look of the totems they use looks way to "Regulos" to me. A step to far in the use of "evil" if you get what I mean.

The other 3 classess got some real cool stuff, but all clerics got was a twisted evil looking death magic wielding soul that would never fit in with any of my Defiant concepts, let alone Guardian concepts. If we played toons for the other side as well, then the Defiler would fit there, just not on our side.
    death magic is not inherently "evil" its just an element, the opposite of life.

as for the defiler soul itself... well I think it should be more focused on the links and damage, and less on healing which we already have TONS of with the other souls who do it better

there should be temporary party wide links, more skills that do damage to your links targets, basically I want defiler to weave a massive and complicated web of links between the players that will strengthen my allies (note: not heal) and entangle my enemies. there should be links combining the different players like linking a mage to a warrior to add elemental effects to the warrior and HP/armor to the mage (all damage credited to the defiler) or linking a cleric to a rogue to increase heals taken on the rogue and increase the casting/attacking speed of the cleric... stuff like that

why can't it be a real link soul? why do we have to be half-assed-everythnig? a couple of links, a few healing spells, and even fewer damaging spells... basically we suck at everying.

I throw links at other healers in PvP. The other healers are then immortal. I also like to put bonds on everyone and lol as they try to kill me. Really though... so far, all Ive done is troll people. Its amazing at trolling enemy teams. Especially since the links don't seem to have a range limit that I've noticed from the 4-5 warfronts I did as a 51 Defiler. I did find that the foul growth healing mechanic was actually quite bursty when I needed a good bursty heal. I dont think Defiler is really a DPS soul at all though. Pain transmission might hurt, but it would only work in a raid where everyone is rubbing up against bosses feet.

I'll say this though. Now that defiler will exist in the game, you can bet it will be mandatory in a lot of raiding guilds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Sword of Telara

Defiler is a front-loaded healer. Think of Chloromancer mixed with Saboteur. What I've been doing is this:

1) Cast Links on all possible party members
    2) Cast Explosive Growth on tank before pull.
    3) Load Bond of Pain, then Torment, then Siphon Vitality, then Marrow Harvest (Unholy Nexus if AoE)
    4) Hideous Reconstruction on the Tank
    5) Spam Somatic Desecration

Reapply debuffs in this order:
    Marrow Harvest->Bond of Pain->Siphon Vitality->Bond of Torment

Immediately reapply Explosive Growth once you hit Loathsome Restoration.

Burst heal with Explosive Growth->Loathsome Restoration spam.

My problem with Defiler is that it's easy to get caught off guard. It's a constant juggle over your DoTs and Heals and it's a lot more complex than any healer I've played with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar
    Hey guys, there is a lot of speculation out there right now, I wanted to come out and say the following pretty definitively: There is no goal to make DPS clerics that DPS do less damage than other callings.
    Daglar; Lead Calling Designer~10/17/12

Champion of Telara The Real Viz Shady's Avatar

Every raid in SL will need one. Learn it.

It's a sub-par healer, with sub-par DPS, and forced utility to ensure it's mandatory in raids.

That being said, it's brilliant for solo play. Me and my boyfriend were rounding up as many mobs as we could get onto the Beacon, spreading Bonds of Pain and Siphon, then plowing on Transmission. Basically, as long as you keep BoP up on all targets and can keep the Beacon alive, then you can solo anything.

Well lets see. 4 links to prevent damage to party members, some damaging spells Inbetween to possibly add Fowl Growth to allies, and then Feedback for a good AoE heal. Fowl Growth increases maximum health also. To me, I see the Defiler doing off damage, damage prevention, and off AoE healing which would classify it as a support build. I actually like the Defiler but I do have a few issues with it.

*I think the chance to apply Fowl Growth after dealing damage should be higher.
    *I think the reapplication of the Husk after casting a heal should also apply to damage spell or at least have a chance. If I have to cast 3 damaging spells to get 3 stacks of Fowl Growth on the 25% linked ally (which is only a 50% chance anyway). By the time my Husk has been gone for probably 2 seconds. That's a bunch of damage to me.
    *As a support build, I personally think they should have more AoE DPS options.

Also, if Siphon Vitality, Marrow Harvest, and Bonds could get a 1 second CD from talents, that would be awesome!!

Anc

40 defiler is all you need, put the rest in sent, keep marked up and you are good to go for 5 mans. The hardest part is learning to spam your mana regen when you are not healing.

Also i only link the tank. Putting links the dps is guaranteed to get me killed. You take take 20% of mitigated damage. Having a mage stand in everything they can find even with 10% link is asking for death.
    Last edited by Anc; 12-03-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Anc View Post
    Putting links the dps is guaranteed to get me killed. You take take 20% of mitigated damage. Having a mage stand in everything they can find even with 10% link is asking for death.
    This is exactly why I hate this spec. Mind you I only use it for support and try not to as much as possible, but whenever a healers needs me to I'll obviously want to link the entire party to keep people alive. But more often than not people get me killed. And then they complain to me about having sucky support healing, not realising I take a ton of damage because they are too dumb not to stand in AoE.

Overall, knowing how many stacks of FG you have on anyone is a pain and I find myself just hoping someone has 3 stacks when I use Explosive Growth or Loathsome Restoration. All the while, keeping Siphon Vitality up on the enemy and a Hideous Reconstruction here and there just makes my head explode. Add to that that there's already alot going on in SL experts.. makes me not wanna play this class at all.

Defiler is very lackluster imo.

It also has the feeling of a soul that was quickly thrown together with very little effort or thought put into it.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

I think it's a fantastic soul. Here are some bullet points:

link damage - it's essential to maintain husk of despair to soak incoming damage. A purifier shield on top of it may be needed as well. Consider using the talent that reduces damage. On the other hand there's a buff that damages things every time they damage the cleric and redirected link damage triggers this... a lot.

healing - as mentioned it's frontloaded healing. Instead of waiting for someone to take damage and start casting, you can build up what is essentially 3 "charges" and then use a detonation function to trigger them, or over time they will go on their own. This is incredibly effective at mitigating interval spike damage such as dealt by the fang or rune vessels in Black Garden or Library of the Runemasters.

minipet - the minipet is a serious aggro magnet. It doesn't just taunt things, it redirects your threat. Once placed I can run around an area plinking targets and watch them all converge on the beacon ... which is when it's time to start spamming tyranny of despair and bound fate and blowing them all up. Again, maintaining your own absorption shield(s) is esential but Defiler has a power that's similar to talented vex so use that for pulls and you're at a good starting point. This is the basic mechanism suggested by the Ritualist pre-made spec with Cabilist/Defiler/Purifier. It is FARM TASTIC.

damage - not the greatest but the soul has a damage component. It mixes well with other damage oriented souls, granting them some solid emergency healing without losing out on the plus-damage gift and various talents another soul would have.

I hope this has given you some perspective. If not let me add one final note: I tried soloing the freemarch anchors at about level 22. I couldn't do it as a cabalist main, but I could do it as a defiler with druid subbed and using the beacon and not the satyr. The purifier sign that causes damage on attack is really fantastic on the beacon. I literally just stood back and spammed heals on the beacon and me and let the defenders kill themselves, while tossing the minimum attacks on the anchor itself to prevent it from regenerating. It was dicey but I did it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast