+ Reply to Thread

Thread: compiler used to build the game

Default compiler used to build the game

what compiler does trion's rift team use to compile the game? any chance if its ICC that it can also be compiled with the AMD compiler so those of us that play the game on an AMD system arent being preformance docked 15%?

Ascendant

It could be that AMD processors are notoriously terrible for gaming. The top end matching i3's in most games.

Im sorry that you want to argue that intel is better in this thread but that is off topic. Im asking the devs what compiler and options for using one that will optimize for everyone not just intel.

Ascendant

You can't optimize terribad, just realize they are awful and move on.

PS. I have a 965BE . . .

are you really derailing this topic with your pro intel propaganda? If you are then please show with reference where AMD processors are being beaten by intel at their price points by more than 15% which is what the ICC performance difference creates. You cant and with the new APUs now out for the mid level gamer it is something to be considered.

now there have been other games that ship with a AMD optimized exe like Neverwinter Nights 2. so it shouldnt be a huge undertaking to provide an AMD compiled exe for those that want it. In theory if things dont go completely out of whack it should be as simple as running the compiler. If they do go askew then some minor debug.

Im not asking a lot here. Im just asking what compiler and if there is an option that could be looked into by the dev team.

yes, they have something to compete with the i3s!

They were a good chip in early 2000s, and going head to head with intel on all fronts and beating them in pricepoint. However, they bought Ati and both companies went downhill. Ati was beating nvidia hands down..merged with Amd, it added zero value, no synergy was added. They both just focus on value branding now as they can't cut it.

Not saying Intel's compiler shouldn't bottleneck Amds chip's performances however..

Exeinfo PE says: Microsoft Visual C++ 9.0 - Visual Studio 2008 (E8)

but everyone knows that you can fake sign just about anything to a PE

TY TehFrank!

So microsoft compiler is used which is... not the best for either but is for sure the most level compiler overall I guess. would love to see it compiled with ICC and the new AMD compiler instead of microsoft but at least the playing field is level I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Division View Post
    yes, they have something to compete with the i3s!

They were a good chip in early 2000s, and going head to head with intel on all fronts and beating them in pricepoint. However, they bought Ati and both companies went downhill. Ati was beating nvidia hands down..merged with Amd, it added zero value, no synergy was added. They both just focus on value branding now as they can't cut it.

Not saying Intel's compiler shouldn't bottleneck Amds chip's performances however..
    the A10 5800 series is on par with the i5 in general computing and on par with the i7 in openCL enabled apps. Intel is however still king of the hill with a 5-10% lead on CPU and that gap narrows to -5%-5% depending on the compiler used for benchmark apps. Im not saying intel isnt on top Im just saying that AMD isnt as far behind as people think. The new AMD compiler

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mammothtruk View Post
    TY TehFrank!

So microsoft compiler is used which is... not the best for either but is for sure the most level compiler overall I guess. would love to see it compiled with ICC and the new AMD compiler instead of microsoft but at least the playing field is level I guess.
    Not going to happen. Almost everything get compiled with MSVC and the few programs that don't get compiled with ICC. Given the reality of compilers and dev enviroments, it would take a lot of work to port and verify it on ICC or any other compiler. For something like an MMO, it is also highly likely that MSVC is the highest performance compiler.

Ascendant

the A10 5800 series is on par with the i5 in general computing and on par with the i7 in openCL enabled apps. Intel is however still king of the hill with a 5-10% lead on CPU and that gap narrows to -5%-5% depending on the compiler used for benchmark apps. Im not saying intel isnt on top Im just saying that AMD isnt as far behind as people think. The new AMD compiler
    On Toms review the A10 5800K was beaten by the i5-2500K by:

63% in Cinebench Multithread
    28% in 7-Zip
    44% in AES Encryption
    39% in Sysmark 2012 Overall
    51% in 3DSMAx (where it was even beaten by the i3-3220)
    36% in POV-Ray

In Games?
    31% in Metro
    74% in Dirt 3
    40% in Crysis
    51% in Civ 5
    In every single game it was beat by an i3-3220.

The only place you would ever want one of these is in a laptop that you are using on board video. Every other situation you don't want AMD. You should stop spreading lies... 5 to 10 percent... pft.
    Last edited by Sariina; 10-12-2012 at 07:56 AM.

those numbers are only with a discrete graphics card... look at the numbers again when its being used as an APU. the A10 5800K is in fact a better APU overall.

And since you THINK you know how about a link?

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-trin...nce/17272.html

Real world testing shows that the A10 5800K does in fact keep up with the i5 extremely well.

Ascendant

those numbers are only with a discrete graphics card... look at the numbers again when its being used as an APU. the A10 5800K is in fact a better APU overall.
    And then it's so slow you can't even play a game on it... hooray!

Ascendant

And since you THINK you know how about a link?

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-trin...nce/17272.html

Real world testing shows that the A10 5800K does in fact keep up with the i5 extremely well.
    Only in BF3... which was also shown on toms page to not scale with CPU very well because it's a console game. They don't test multiplayer where you actually need CPU power to keep up. If you notice in any game that needs CPU power like Dirt3 physics simulation the i5 destroyed the A8 by about 50% and about 45% in X3 - Terran Conflict.

So any time it matters at all it gets destroyed, and any time it doesn't it's just about even cause it`s the same video card. . . interesting.

+ Reply to Thread