+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Patcher acting strange on download.

Default Patcher acting strange on download.

I would love to play on the test shard but, when i go to download the client it starts out at around 1.8 MB/s then in about 30 to 60 seconds drops to 10 to 20 KB/s. Now when it starts it should take an hour or so at most, but at the later slow speed, it will take 65 hours or more to download. Why the rapid speed drop. I could see my connection beeing as slow as 150KB/s on a busy server or bad hop but 20K? What gives?
    Life is what you make it so make it good, even when it isn't.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kadeth View Post
    I would love to play on the test shard but, when i go to download the client it starts out at around 1.8 MB/s then in about 30 to 60 seconds drops to 10 to 20 KB/s. Now when it starts it should take an hour or so at most, but at the later slow speed, it will take 65 hours or more to download. Why the rapid speed drop. I could see my connection beeing as slow as 150KB/s on a busy server or bad hop but 20K? What gives?
    id say you are either already downloading something which is consuming nearly all your bandwith, or your provider doesnt like TRION and is limiting the download speed. on the former several programs on PCs run in the background (spyware/anitvirus protection, OS updates, P2P programs, etc.) and can consume a lot of bandwith. on the other hand ISPs sometimes see MMO as P2P software and dont like this, so they either stop it completely or limit it to a severely low speed to prevent you from hogging tons of bandwith.

then again... on the worse case side maybe you just have a virus that is doing a lot of sending of information from your PC

Last edited by HeavyMetalLucidity; 05-07-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Processor: Intel i7 960 @ 3.8Ghz
    Memory: 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel
    Graphics: Palit Geforce GTX 560Ti 2GB (Driver 301.24 BETA)
    Monitor: ASUS VE248 @ 1920x1080

Nope, no virus (deep full system scan ran last at 4:00 am, continual real time scanning. That and, now my browser and the patcher running. No other programs and only essential processes plus my AV. My ISP does not block or restrict ANY website, port or IP unless I do so in parental controls form the ISP provided home page (I don't as I am an adult and am the only user of this computer. No kids at home, no one but me.) I do not need a router since this is the only computer I own so, modem to computer direct connections.

Other files, including the stable patcher updates download at an average of 1.5 MB/s so, it is simply something with the test patcher. Like I said it starts off fine, then rapidly drops off and keeps dropping. Normal for me is a super fast start (5-7 MB/s) then dropping to around 1.5 MB/s before settling at that. This one drops to 20 KB/s or lower before stabilizing the speed.

Like I said, if it's peak hours on my beam (satellite) then I am content as low as 150KB/s - that is ISP fault for loading the beam to capacity before stopping new installs. But 20 K or less? Never, not from anywhere with any amount of other processes and programs running - well, except now.
    Life is what you make it so make it good, even when it isn't.

+ Reply to Thread