+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Carnival of the Ascended Event Official PTS Feedback Thread

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #271
    Rift Team

Hey folks just to clear up confusion:

I completely redid the Race Around Fortune's Shore. I had some grandiose ideas for it and I thought it would be freakin awesome...and then when I got to the end of building it found that it was just too complex with not enough positive feedback to the user. My original idea was that each mount would make you immune to one type of obstacle with an ability that let you overcome another type, and then you could dodge the other two types. What really ended up happening though is that you just avoided the entire track. Canít blame you, I did the same thing lol.

So, what happens now is that the mounts all have the same basic ability, a sprint. Two of them have long duration, long cool down and two of them have short duration short cool down. All of the obstacles are the same; they snare you (for less than they did before). Now you can use your abilities more often to go through obstacles, the legs of the race have more patterns so you can just dodge them. (for the most part)

For someone just playing it, this wonít really matter but I figured Iíd explain the differences to those of you who have been testing it in itís previous iterations so you'd more easily understand what I changed instead of just thinking itís broken ;)

Oh one other thing, the obstacles (red) all pulse, while the checkpoints (green) are steady. This is so that those of you who may be colorblind can still get a visual cue on the good and bad areas.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Kerilar View Post
    Oh one other thing, the obstacles (red) all pulse, while the checkpoints (green) are steady. This is so that those of you who may be colorblind can still get a visual cue on the good and bad areas.
    I was thinking about complaining that there were too many colors in the race for my poor colorblind eyes to correctly see, but decided against it. I'm glad you can read my mind.
    (Also, just FYI - apparently if it's 2AM and my monitor is dirty, I see flat black as dark blue. My eyes are just that damn good.)

I completely redid the Race Around Fortune's Shore. I had some grandiose ideas for it and I thought it would be freakin awesome...and then when I got to the end of building it found that it was just too complex with not enough positive feedback to the user. My original idea was that each mount would make you immune to one type of obstacle with an ability that let you overcome another type, and then you could dodge the other two types. What really ended up happening though is that you just avoided the entire track. Canít blame you, I did the same thing lol.

So, what happens now is that the mounts all have the same basic ability, a sprint. Two of them have long duration, long cool down and two of them have short duration short cool down. All of the obstacles are the same; they snare you (for less than they did before). Now you can use your abilities more often to go through obstacles, the legs of the race have more patterns so you can just dodge them. (for the most part)

For someone just playing it, this wonít really matter but I figured Iíd explain the differences to those of you who have been testing it in itís previous iterations so you'd more easily understand what I changed instead of just thinking itís broken ;)

A pity you have to change it, but let me try out the new race and I'll post my feedback.

Default Racing Feedback

Yeah...

Just did it and....

That was pretty annoying.

I like the old version better and also at the end of the race can you have some Confetti and fireworks shoot off?

Edit: During each check point have fireworks go off once a player hits the check point.
    Last edited by Toxen; 02-21-2012 at 11:50 AM.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

That is super awesome.

BTW, a tip: Many colorblind people can distinguish SOME reds and greens (there's a mobile phone app which color-corrects to help with this), so it might be rewarding to research that a bit and maybe use slightly off-red/off-green. Maybe.

I really liked hearing the development history; I agree that the obstacle thing you describe SOUNDS like a great idea, but in practice people would likely not make much use of it.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I completely redid the Race Around Fortune's Shore. I had some grandiose ideas for it and I thought it would be freakin awesome...and then when I got to the end of building it found that it was just too complex with not enough positive feedback to the user.
    Aww. /hugs for the effort! It really was a fun little jaunt around Shimmersand. It still is, in fact. But sometimes, simpler is better.

My original idea was that each mount would make you immune to one type of obstacle with an ability that let you overcome another type, and then you could dodge the other two types.
    I figured that out after a good bit of playing around (At first, I was of the opinion that there were good colors and bad colors), and then I spent even more time trying to figure out which color obstacle I'd most want to avoid in future races!

So, what happens now is that the mounts all have the same basic ability, a sprint. Two of them have long duration, long cool down and two of them have short duration short cool down.
    I'm not entirely sure, but I'm not noticing any "sprint". Just a snare immunity.

All of the obstacles are the same; they snare you (for less than they did before). Now you can use your abilities more often to go through obstacles, the legs of the race have more patterns so you can just dodge them. (for the most part)
    I rather like the simplicity of "Everything is bad," and good ol' on-the-fly pattern recognition. Also: patterns! They make me think I'm being clever when I avoid getting snared, as opposed to lucky!

I think you could up the mount speed and snare debuff a couple ticks. As it is, the race doesn't feel very "race"-y when my normal mount goes faster than the special racing crocodile! And really, the snare bubbles are something that's easily ignored in the current state. It's probably faster to go right through them than make any course adjustments!

I remember spending quite a bit of time on the ol' Meridian Seacap Circuit. Even won myself a few races back in the day! So, all kinds of props to you for working so hard on another potential racing minigame!
    Last edited by Kolfinna; 02-21-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Does anyone know what NPC: Lil'tom do?

Other than saying " I wish I didn't have to share everything with my brother. " ?

Just seems he could do more.
    Last edited by Toxen; 02-21-2012 at 12:12 PM.

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #278
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kolfinna View Post
    Oh god, the ringing, the ringing! I adore carnival sounds as much as the next guy (in fact, I love the little soundtrack over there) but the put-a-ring-on-a-seacap * 20 people spamming rings = Muted Meridian.
    I will double check right now, but I heard second-hand that audio is looking into this now. I just want to make sure they are myself. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyliena View Post
    Tales of the Ascended I - did not get marked as completed after Phase 2 took over. Intended?
    Yes, intended. All three Tales are actually part of a random daily quest pool, with one being added each phase. So Phase one is only the first Tale offered each day, Phase 2 offers Tale 1 or 2 randomly, and phase 3 will offer any of the three.

Monte, Iture and Esserat are still near the Shady Goods merchant on the boat during Phase 2. Shouldn't they only be there during Phase 1?
    Intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxen View Post
    Why are the Lanterns that hangs on the ropes in Sanctum/Meridian and the ones that are hung in the ships in shimmersand still not glow?
    I believe (as in I have been told but not verified with my own eyes) that they "glow" at night in terms of a visual change, but not to cast light. That many individual light sources is a performance killer in places like capital cities. Instead a lighting pass with some general lighting was recently done and should be on PTS soon (because some of the carnival areas were way too dark :P ).

So I got the chance to clap and cheer for a couple of players (out of the three that were doing the quest) but I have no idea if my vote was counted. Maybe a pop-up for the person clapping/cheering that says "Your vote for Soandso has been counted!"?
    Good call. I will do that!

Balloon Popping - In Meridian I somehow got teleported to the opposite side of the seacap ring while doing this. It only happened once, on my first bounce I think.. not sure why though.
    I know exactly what would cause it - anytime we spawn in objects with collision, if a player if in that spot, the game teleports that player to a fallback point. The fallback points are hand placed and are tied to groups of content. You had the timing to land right where I put up the collision barriers when you got the Balloon Stomper buff and got placed at the carnival fallback point. I will place another fallback point inside the balloon area. You will still get a short teleport, but not as jarring.

random thought... for the parade cart in Freemarch (where you turn in the harvesting/crafting quests) a rift can open where it's at! Not a huge deal but I had to wipe out a level 13 Major fire rift just to speak to Icatian.
    Good catch - getting a fix in for that too.

There's a dragon pinata around 7183, 897, 6879 in Shimmersand that appears to be below the ground (inaccessible). This is the second time I've tried and failed to get this pinata (last time was during the original P1/P2 tests).
    Sure enough, it was WAY underground. Fixed.

Phase 2 zone event: Unlikely Alliances
    I passed all this info on to the parties responsible for the zone events.

Thank you everyone for the awesome feedback! We cannot stress how useful all this is.

I recommend you check out the "Tip for Editors" for the future content on this wikipedia page.

Red and Blue is a lot better color combination. Please do consider this for the future. (most people see 'blue' also as something 'good').
    Rathi@Gelidra <Invictus>
    IRotP: Conqueror | NM TD: 4/4

Thanks for clearing it up. That's a shame it was changed, I actually liked the original version, though I had trouble telling apart blue and white obstacles.

In its current iteration the red obstacles move way too fast, there's basically no strategy to avoiding them, driving me to want to run around the outskirts of the course (which is what you are trying to avoid, I believe). I couldn't dodge them for the life of me basically, but I did try. =\ The information text on each of the mounts needs updated too, they're a cross-over between the original version and the new version and it's confusing. ;)

Plane Touched

Still getting the inventory full message when trying to accept the "Maintain the Parade Floats - An (skillhere) Skills."
    Mononic - Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by m12342 View Post
    Still getting the inventory full message when trying to accept the "Maintain the Parade Floats - An (skillhere) Skills."
    If you have any "Building the Parade Floats" ones, turn them in. I had the same issue until I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Yes, intended. All three Tales are actually part of a random daily quest pool, with one being added each phase. So Phase one is only the first Tale offered each day, Phase 2 offers Tale 1 or 2 randomly, and phase 3 will offer any of the three.
    Tales of the Ascended I auto-completed when Phase 3 just kicked off... it probably shouldn't have if can be offered in Phase 3.

Carouse at the Carnival also auto-completed, I thought this was available daily during Phase 3 as well?

If you die while attempting the quest "Trouble on the Route" as Defiant, the quest will auto complete.

Soulwalker

On Trouble on the Parade Route, when the guys despawn, you get credit for the quest, whether or not you killed them or they despawned on their own.

For the gathering quests, the items you turn in don't appear to be dropping until you hit a skill level of 30, is that intended? After that, the drop rate appears to be 100%.

Fashion Show is also a ton better. Good to see that it tells you when to walk into the spotlight and back out.

The Race Around Fortune Shore is quite a bit better, no more of the "I'm mounted and getting slowed while not doing the quest" bugs. However, I'm wondering if it'd be possible to not allow those who were drunk to accept the quest. After all, drinking and racing shouldn't mix.

Lastly, noticed that the cost of the mounts went down from 6 to 5, was that intended?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast