+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: PTS Event 12/1 New Instant Adventure Discussion Thread

1.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Asst. Community Manager Walsingham's Avatar

Default PTS Event 12/1 New Instant Adventure Discussion Thread

We’ve now made it easier than ever to go adventuring with your fellow ascended! You’ll get to experience the thrill of Instant Adventure, a public group with dynamically scaling quests that you can access from anywhere!

Join us on PTS Today, 12/1 @ 3PM PDT (10PM GMT) for your first look at Instant Adventure as we try to find any kinks, bugs, or pressure points. This is a brand new feature – so don’t expect it to be 100% fully functional but that’s what PTS is for!

We look forward to seeing you there!

Character Copy to PTS!

You can now copy your character to the Public Test Shard! Simply click the Transfer button when you’re at Character select on the Live client and select “Copy to PTS” – it’s as easy as that! (though there may be a few bugs/limitations we’re working out). We will no longer be offering Gear/Leveling vendors with the introduction of this feature (except when testing requires it.)

You will need to download the PTS client if you have not done so already, this is approximately the same size as installing the full game and may take some time. For more information about PTS and how to access it please see:

Welcome to the Public Test Shard! – Getting Started

Have fun!
    Last edited by Walsingham; 12-01-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Hmm about two days ago there was a PTS instant adventure thingie with a sever announcement so I went there but there was no dev around so we just run around for a bit and got bored lol.

Quote Originally Posted by p3t3r1 View Post
    Hmm about two days ago there was a PTS instant adventure thingie with a sever announcement so I went there but there was no dev around so we just run around for a bit and got bored lol.
    Sounds like a good time! Count me in.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

How does this differ from the previous previews of IA?
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by p3t3r1 View Post
    They were probably testing the test event How meta!
    Saralene - Cleric || Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    How does this differ from the previous previews of IA?
    Yeah my thoughts exactly. If it's more of the same then kinda waste of time to update the game. The first iteration was really boring and bland.
    Grim Yollidan the Insomniac, Blightweald EU
    WARNING! Treating my posts too seriously is not advised. Reading may cause headaches, anger, disbelief and nausea. If you find yourself in any of these conditions, please consult your psychotherapist... or your mom. Also cry a river and use a steamboat to cross it. You have been warned!

Just finished tests.
    A CM, Walsingham, was with us and we were in Shimmersands. ;)

First, the french tooltip is often empty. We only have 0/7 and find out using the mini map or the interactive tool to find what to do.
    Well the adventure is better than it was one month ago.
    The stages are shorters and a lot are interactives (with the new "skill" window)
    I like it really.

The final boss comes after a gauntlet (waves of invasions) while we have to protect a sourcestone (we can interact with our chosen powers)
    2/3 times i got a piece used to craft the mathosian cosmetic set.
    And 1 to 3 engraved sourcestones.

Should be nice to have more than the mathosian ou sand set as reward.
    Artifacts, lucky coins, vanity pet or a shard who give 10k planar xp or random loot like chronicles?

The time used to end a instant aventure could be so a better investment
    Last edited by Altahir; 12-01-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Champion of Telara

Smart idea for someone that can only play 10 minutes per week in Rift, for everyone else this is gonna happen.

Do it 5 times, get bored, never do it again, same thing with Chronicles.

Stop adding this type of "content" thats for the extreme of the extreme casuals.

Not even the casuals themselves will do Instant Adventures after the first week.

You want to add something good for everyone?

Add something that makes people become competitive with each other and gives rewards.

Chronicles, Instant Adventures, are all useless for any sort of player that spends more than 1 hour online every week in your game, realize this already and stop wasting resources, you have a great game, and you are driving players away with boredom by adding pointless stuff.

People, even the casuals want to feel like they did something that mattered, that their e-peen grew larger by completing something.

Unless you can make Instant Adventures that scale, and on every area, with 50 different objectives for every area, meaning over 400 different objectives, Instant Adventure is a waste of time and resources, and nothing else.

Add some hard boss at the end or something, i only tested it when it first was added weeks ago and for 20 minutes just now.

Killing 5 "Wild Gryphons" and "3 Golden Maw" which literally took me 20 seconds just blinking around and 2 shotting everything, is not fun, is not enjoyable, i wont even bother doing it on Live more than once unless it gives lots of XP for PA improvement.

Its simply not fun, its a pointless waste of time to come online to do, sure i will do a few when it comes on Live and never again after that for months to come, same with everyone else, same deal with Chronicles, people only do them nowdays for the Muradntix drop and barely even that.
    Last edited by potis; 12-01-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Champion of Telara

Here to help you out of what you need to do.

Area: Freemarch length max, making it too big makes it annoying.

Objectives:

Some dailies with PvE objectives like "Kill 10 tigers to prevent guardians/defiants gathering meat", or "Burn down 5 outposts" x5 per day, total of 15-20 aka 20 dailies in total rotating randomly so its not 100% boring after the first day.

Some dailies with PvP objectives "Kill 20 <Faction> NPC players and 20 <Faction> players"

A weekly in the form of "Kill the <Faction> outpost leader" Reward:Something massively rewarding but we are talking about a raid boss on the outside, doesnt have to be anything major, just make him dangerous and not just tank and spank, meaning if the raid doesnt defend itself from the other faction and at the same time control the boss they wipe, hence why the reward needs to be good/great.

Some fortress than when faction controls they get +50% Favor and Prestige in the area from kills and quests, MAKE PEOPLE WANT TO DO STUFF.

Add server wide ranking system for that area based on whatever you want, doesnt matter what it is, people will GRIND it until they die for their e-peen, make it a Kill/Death ration, 10 points for a solo kill, 2 for when you are 5 players 1 for when you are more than 5, make people to want to grind stuff for e-peen, make them lose 10 points when they die.

Voila, ranking system, voila controlled world PvP with objectives!

E-peen is what drives players to keep playing, wanting to reach a certain goal.

You are not giving us any goals, you are giving us worthless stuff that can only be a goal to someone that will play 10 hours per month.

Voila, i just gave you world PvP that everyone is asking for, and a way to spend 5 hours in game per day and not 10 minutes.
    Last edited by potis; 12-01-2011 at 05:33 PM.

first thought when I read the description: "oh look, its shimmersand/stillmoor AGAIN".
    we go there for dailies. for rifts. for events. and now we are supposed to do IAs in areas we are doing stuff in for months?
    why not use one of the old zones? they are dead and empty on most servers anyway. it would be more pleasant to the eye and at least FEEL a bit new compared to romping through ss/sm again.
    the continent is larger than ss/sm, why not tell stories via IAs there?

if the argument is "the lowbies can't quest or might encounter a lvl50".. yeah, well, sh't happens. first of all, the quest argument applies for 50 as well. as for lvl difference: there are technical and easy ways around it. easiest? make the IA mobs neutral so they don't aggro. most of the time they are beyond easy for 50s anyway and the only "challenge" is the number of mobs that you have to kill.

don't get me wrong, I like the idea of IAs a lot. however, there is so much more that trion could do with it (and my modder hands are tinkling to tinker around with it, but never will, sadly).
    I don't know what the design goal is, but at the moment it rather feels like a prototype or proof-of-concept implementation.

for example:
    - make it instanced (it will generate less problems this way).
    - keep the scaling (rip off the warfront code for joining/leaving in a running instance)
    - rehash current assets. I don't need a new area, make an instance version of freemarch/silverwood for example (sth most guardians/defiants haven't seen unless they create an alt).
    - a little bit of story. right now it's just "do that. now do that. now that". rifts have more story than that.

there, not that hard.

if you really want it in the open world, reuse old areas. change it pre 50s can contribute (it's a simple math problem other games already figured out).

besides the costume drops, which will probably be nerfed anyway due to whining, there is no real decision to make. imagine a player: "I have 1 hour to play. should I do a chronicle? an IA? dailies?" - in most cases he will choose dailies.
    Last edited by Gray; 12-01-2011 at 06:40 PM.

personally, i loved the IA when i tested it a few days ago

the only problem was the scaling, we got 20 people in the party and were steamrolling everything

more bosses

harder bosses

more wardstone defending (loved this one especially)

less kill x of y

the difficulty should scale linearly when there is 5-10 people in the IA, but exponentially when there is 10-20 people.

or make "hard mode" IA in ember isles.

Koe

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    snip
    For talking about what the players want, making it PvP-based would be a stupid idea.

As to your other post, you're probably HK geared.

This content, for the most part, isn't aimed at you. While with 20 people it shouldn't be a steam-roll, it can't be "difficult" as to make it not feasible for a pug composed of all gear levels.

People still do chronicles.

For vanity items, experience, platinum, artifacts, rare drops(murd mount), etc. Oh, and fresh 50s do actually use them to gear up some.
    Free music! It's legal!
    DISCLAIMER: Some songs may have been taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by Koe View Post
    This content, for the most part, isn't aimed at you. While with 20 people it shouldn't be a steam-roll, it can't be "difficult" as to make it not feasible for a pug composed of all gear levels.
    most of the time you fight normal mobs out in SS/SM, which are lvl45?48? add to that all the raidbuffs, and I could steamroll naked with a candy cane.
    there are some summoned mobs inbetween that are 50 elite and scale with the players around it, but that's it. the majority of the time you grind through cannon-fodder mobs to get to the objective.
    Last edited by Gray; 12-03-2011 at 02:24 PM.

I agree with everyone saying that they need to be more interesting than kill x of y (and this is better now than it was in the beginning)

but - most importantly:

there needs to be a reason to do these.

There are two kinds of useful currency in-game right now - xp for PA and Greater Marks (and not even these are useful for everyone). If IAs don't give one of these, no one is going to do them after the initial couple of days. For people to do them for xp alone, it'd have to be a good amount of xp - on par with a zone event. Can limit it with a daily quest or something (kind of like DRR) but maybe raise the daily limit in the process.

There's just no reason to do this stuff because these and the Chronicles (and I *love* the idea of Chronicles) do not provide anything useful for character progression.
    Last edited by adarel; 12-03-2011 at 10:32 PM.
    Adarel, 60 mage
    <Fires of Heaven>
    Deepwood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast