+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: About the grind to Prestige Rank 8..

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    174

    Default About the grind to Prestige Rank 8..

    Hey all,

    I understand the need to keep raiding level caps and introduce new gear to grind. However when this is done in PvE, we also get new content to change the setting to, no bosses to figure out, and a whole new level of entertainment.

    Please please PLEASE consider making new warfronts that award rank 6+ prestige and favor. I don't want to have do the EXACT SAME THING I've done before a million times just to get the new gear.

    PvEers are getting Hammerknell to get their new gear from (which I am also looking forward to, don't get me wrong) - please also give us PvPers a bit of new scenery too. 4 different maps, with different objectives, for rank 6+ players and gear.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redh View Post
    Hey all,

    I understand the need to keep raiding level caps and introduce new gear to grind. However when this is done in PvE, we also get new content to change the setting to, no bosses to figure out, and a whole new level of entertainment.

    Please please PLEASE consider making new warfronts that award rank 6+ prestige and favor. I don't want to have do the EXACT SAME THING I've done before a million times just to get the new gear.

    PvEers are getting Hammerknell to get their new gear from (which I am also looking forward to, don't get me wrong) - please also give us PvPers a bit of new scenery too. 4 different maps, with different objectives, for rank 6+ players and gear.

    Thanks
    If getting prestige rank 8 is merely another time sink gear hand out ill be kind of annoyed.

  3. #3
    Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Do you want new PVP maps? Won't that just lengthen queues by splitting players even further?

    The only thing I can see as really interesting with PVP is to make world content PVP related. For example, in DOAC, Darkness Falls PVE dungeon access was related to PVP objectives. That was a reason to go and fight over it.

  4. #4
    Prophet of Telara Corian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    As you're going to quickly find out when doing the alternate Whitefall, it's not the map or the map's objectives that make warfronts dull, it's the low quality of the players in it.

    There isn't anything Trion can do about that. Or at least, nothing that wouldn't cost them 95% of their subs.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Liang Nuren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    As you're going to quickly find out when doing the alternate Whitefall, it's not the map or the map's objectives that make warfronts dull, it's the low quality of the players in it.

    There isn't anything Trion can do about that. Or at least, nothing that wouldn't cost them 95% of their subs.
    There are strong markets for well done games that are primarily based on PVP. As an added bonus, nobody would say that a PVP based game is a 'WOW clone'.

    -Liang

  6. #6
    Plane Walker Festo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    462

    Default

    With the favor cap still being 150k, and the fact that you need to turn your current rank 5/6 along with some more favor to get 7/8, we're going to be wasting a crap ton of favor while grinding for 7/8.
    Last edited by Festo; 07-13-2011 at 05:59 PM.
    Let's just thank Christ that they got rid of twinking. It truly lacked any skill to twink.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Well the obvious answer to both 'problems' mentioned earlier (queue times and idiots in warfronts making the grind worse) is to introduce a 5 person map. This will allow for full on premade vs premade, and could be a lot of fun...

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Festo View Post
    With the favor cap still being 150k, and the fact that you need to turn your current rank 5/6 along with some more favor to get 7/8, we're going to be wasting a crap ton of favor while grinding for 7/8.
    So you need rank 5/6 gear to convert it to rank 7/8 gear? If so, this would be nice. Where did you read this, or did you see it on the PTS? Thanks

  9. #9
    Plane Walker Festo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Saw it on the PTS. While it is nice you wont have a pay more favor than you would if they didn't offer this method, on the way grinding to 7/8 from 5/6, you'll have to give up your current set piece in order to buy the next one as to not waste favor or sit at the 150k favor cap until you have the rank to wear the new gear and waste favor anyway.

    Either way, we're going to be wasting a ton of favor, unless they add another sigil and more essences or something like that. Maybe they add new PvP synergy crystals. Who knows, but the way it is now, it's looking like a giant favor-waste.
    Last edited by Festo; 07-13-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    Let's just thank Christ that they got rid of twinking. It truly lacked any skill to twink.

  10. #10
    Shadowlander Kthulu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default

    I wonder how a new player that dings lvl50 will feel, thinking he has to grind 2 million Prestige.
    How can he enjoy PvP/WFs when he has to counter an enemy with 50%+ dmg reduction, while he has only 5%?
    Could there be another way to get favor/prestige?
    Examples:
    PvP achievements to reward favor/prestige
    More Favor/Prestige for open world kills
    A new map only for R5/6+(or sth like that) players?
    Raid vs Raid option for some WFs?

    Furthermore, is favor really needed? Does it contribute in PvP? Is it awarding WF grinders fairly?
    There could be no valor at all. If dmg from players is too high everyone could just get a valor bonus.
    Items obtainable through favor could just have very good stats and that's it.
    Cyrus
    Mens Rea

  11. #11
    Plane Walker Festo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    462

    Default

    They already said they're going to make open world kills give more prestige. That along with those PvP rifts will encourage more open world PvP and hopefully that will equate to a better prestige rate than farming WFs currently are.
    Let's just thank Christ that they got rid of twinking. It truly lacked any skill to twink.

  12. #12
    Prophet of Telara Havors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fafryd View Post
    Do you want new PVP maps? Won't that just lengthen queues by splitting players even further?

    The only thing I can see as really interesting with PVP is to make world content PVP related. For example, in DOAC, Darkness Falls PVE dungeon access was related to PVP objectives. That was a reason to go and fight over it.
    Totally agree. Why Trion havent picked up on this is beyond me. It blended PvE and PvP perfectly in DAOC.

    It gave PvP a purpose and worth doing and even PvE'ers got involved. Beside being so much fun with the Keep takes and relic raids. Who needs warfronts?!
    World First - Cyril Kalmar Kill
    eXile-Corp 11/11 HK - 8/8 ID - 4/4 FT - 5/5 EE

  13. #13
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Well... Even if I think that any attempt to bring PvP to a RPG setting is a waste of resources, here goes...

    They already said they're going to make open world kills give more prestige. That along with those PvP rifts will encourage more open world PvP and hopefully that will equate to a better prestige rate than farming WFs currently are.
    You are naive at thinking this will help any1 but PvP Guilds with top geared players...

    ...PvP Rifts seems like a good idea... But I tell you something NOW... They will turn into organized grinding sessions with Strong PvPers scaring off the competence and having "voluntary targets" to grind into them (Taking turns, probably)...

    ...Hence my initial phrase... "PvPers" that come to a RPG setting are not interested in fighting other players... They are just interested on if they have to fight another player having 100% chances to win... This inherent logic of the majority of RPG PvPers is what dooms beforehand any attempt to trigger new PvP situations...

    ...They are coldly evaluated as a source for "The Grind" and optimized as such.

  14. #14
    Plane Walker Festo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khumoth View Post
    ...Hence my initial phrase... "PvPers" that come to a RPG setting are not interested in fighting other players... They are just interested on if they have to fight another player having 100% chances to win... This inherent logic of the majority of RPG PvPers is what dooms beforehand any attempt to trigger new PvP situations...
    The existence of WoW's arena system begs to differ. People participate in that knowing that 100% of the time they won't win. There are even people who play subpar comps that are more likely to lose than overpowered comps and they still have fun with it because when you do win with those comps, it's all the more satisfying.

    Believe it or not people actually enjoy this game. I was queueing as a group of 5 and we were only getting 1 other group of 5 in Black Garden over and over again. We lost the majority of the matches but we kept on queueing. Do you know why? Because the challenge was fun. And it was even more fun when we won.
    Note: everyone in that group of mine was either rank 5 or below, so yes we were still in the need of gear and prestige but we kept queueing for something that was less prestige and less favor.

    Seriously, if you are only playing so you can see pretty pixels on your screen or have a cool title and you don't even enjoy the game, why are you still here? It doesn't make sense to play a game you don't enjoy.
    Let's just thank Christ that they got rid of twinking. It truly lacked any skill to twink.

  15. #15
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    198

    Default

    The existence of WoW's arena system begs to differ.
    The arena on WoW was born to create the PvP Grinder... To "reset" it each seasson and to keep players fighting in the same way for how long? 3 years? It was perfect... So far nobody, but Blizzard, has able to pull a stunt like this... Without most of the players involved realizing it...

    ...Try to convince NOW any player to play the same content "reseting" the gear each 4-5 months (Either PvP or PvE... doesn't matter).


    Contradictory expression:
    People participate in that knowing that 100% of the time they won't win.
    coupled with:

    they still have fun with it because when you do win with those comps, it's all the more satisfying.
    So they never got the satisfaction as they did loose 100% of the time? Or they didn't loose 100% of the time and got their satisfaction?


    Do you know why? Because the challenge was fun. And it was even more fun when we won.
    Note: everyone in that group of mine was either rank 5 or below, so yes we were still in the need of gear and prestige but we kept queueing for something that was less prestige and less favor.
    Good for you... Question: Have you ever thought why you lost so many fight in a row? What those players in front of you have been doing while you are getting your "fun"?


    Seriously, if you are only playing so you can see pretty pixels on your screen or have a cool title and you don't even enjoy the game, why are you still here? It doesn't make sense to play a game you don't enjoy.
    Maybe you are believing I'm PvPing in this game actively... LoL no FFS... I stand by my beliefs that include not PvPing on games with PvP gear grind (ie PvP RPG)...

    ...It basically kills the concept of PvP... Which is fair balance so player actions are the driving force...

    ...Sadly I do not include into "Player actions" staying 10h/day grinding immobile targets into "PvP" Rifts to boost my rank to 8 before the rest of the ppl... To later comeback to get "my fun" when I have the maximum advantage against the others.

    ...This is what I collectively labeled as "The Grind"... I'm sure you are familiar with... Even if you claim to "PvP for fun"... Still... Not for long I see because:

    They already said they're going to make open world kills give more prestige. That along with those PvP rifts will encourage more open world PvP and hopefully that will equate to a better prestige rate than farming WFs currently are.
    Makes me think you are perfectly aware about concepts like "Grinding Speed" and "Earning Rates".
    Last edited by Khumoth; 07-14-2011 at 01:13 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts