+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: About the grind to Prestige Rank 8..

Quote Originally Posted by Khumoth View Post
    ...Hence my initial phrase... "PvPers" that come to a RPG setting are not interested in fighting other players... They are just interested on if they have to fight another player having 100% chances to win... This inherent logic of the majority of RPG PvPers is what dooms beforehand any attempt to trigger new PvP situations...
    How is this different from pve. I don't take the group that has a 60% chance of winning
    <The Unnamed> GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 10/11
    Lace - Whitefall- R8 Warrior
    Mythril - Whitefall- R8 Cleric

General of Telara

The arena on WoW was born to create the PvP Grinder... To "reset" it each seasson and to keep players fighting in the same way for how long? 3 years? It was perfect... So far nobody, but Blizzard, has able to pull a stunt like this... Without most of the players involved realizing it...

...Try to convince NOW any player to play the same content "reseting" the gear each 4-5 months (Either PvP or PvE... doesn't matter).
    Honestly the arena wasn't the issue. Most people were playing it because they enjoyed the 2-3-5 vs 2-3-5 (or because they wanted a high rating on their char sheet to show how big their e-peen was). And most players would get back to their previous rating pretty quickly after a reset. Also from what I remember, you just needed to play like 10 match a week to get the Arena points, so hardly a grind.

But if you replace Arena by Battlegrounds, with new Honor stuff to farm on each of their new seasons, then you're totally right. Same maps each time, same players, same gear with higher stats to buy again.

Trion is going in a less lame direction with gear being an upgrade from previous rank (even though people are right about favor cap issues), but they'll have to come with something else than "hey guys, we have 2 new ranks, hf" next time, I don't think they'll manage to pull it Blizzard-like here.

Rift Master

Trion has stated in the past they have plans for RvR content.

Stick tight.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Kthulu View Post
    I wonder how a new player that dings lvl50 will feel, thinking he has to grind 2 million Prestige.
    I wonder how a new player that buys the game will feel thinking that he has to grind T1 gear, then T2 gear then Gsb , Gp , Ros , finally hammerkneel and by the time he even gets there new content will be out.

See what I did there? If you idea of retaining the player base is to feed the new players free prestige then I am mostly happy that you do not work for this company.
    The new pvp content is DEFINITELY not coming out for new players, it is to keep the old ones subbed.
    I don't even know how the hell did you think that this patch was addressing new players...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristoph View Post
    I think everyone already stopped expecting Trion to be even remotely competent when it comes to PvP balance.

Shield of Telara

Ponders...

PVP Rifts!
    The armies of the Ascended can now open special PvP rifts at Rift Raid locations. Opening these rifts secures sourcestone for your faction, but also leaves you open to attack from enemies! Keep the rift open as long as you can to gain the most rewards - or close your enemy's rift for additional bonuses!
    Hmm, wonder what these are for? If the pvp players aren't going to use them at all. Being trapped in the city and unable to do anything but queue for a warfront over and over.
    Last edited by Relanex; 07-14-2011 at 05:34 AM.
    Tsarin - Sunrest (PVP-RP) - Eth DPS Cleric (50) - Static

Plane Touched

How is this different from pve. I don't take the group that has a 60% chance of winning
    Oh... the difference is abysmal, I'm afraid...

...Will try to explain the whole effect with an analogy...

...Facing challengues on an MMO is like climbing a tall wall using a grapling hook...

...PvE players leave their hooks (and ropes) behind because they need new (usually longer) ropes to reach the next level... The more players that "climb" the easier for the next wave is...

...PvP players, meanwhile, has the option to cut down those ropes once they are on top of the wall... Meaning that each incoming wave will find more and more players on top of the wall cuting down their ropes...

...And this is the fundamental difference:

- PvE content become easier over time as more and more ppl beat it and more and more knowledge & gear spreads around.

- PvP content becomes harder over time as competence increases in quality at all levels (again, as PvE, because of a combination of knowledge & gear)... That's why this "urge" to "climb up the ladder" 1st on PvP... To not find some1 cutting the rope right when you are about to reach the top ;)...

...The problem, OFC, is agravated because players at the top... Can fly around and cut ropes at any level... Specially at the lowest one.
    Last edited by Khumoth; 07-14-2011 at 05:55 AM.

Rift Master

Oh... the difference is abysmal, I'm afraid...

...Will try to explain the whole effect with an analogy...

...Facing challengues on an MMO is like climbing a tall wall using a grapling hook...

...PvE players leave their hooks (and ropes) behind because they need new (usually longer) ropes to reach the next level... The more players that "climb" the easier for the next wave is...

...PvP players, meanwhile, has the option to cut down those ropes once they are on top of the wall... Meaning that each incoming wave will find more and more players on top of the wall cuting down their ropes...

...And this is the fundamental difference:

- PvE content become easier over time as more and more ppl beat it and more and more knowledge & gear spreads around.

- PvP content becomes harder over time as competence increases in quality at all levels (again, as PvE, because of a combination of knowledge & gear)... That's why this "urge" to "climb up the ladder" 1st on PvP... To not find some1 cutting the rope right when you are about to reach the top ;)...

...The problem, OFC, is agravated because players at the top... Can fly around and cut ropes at any level... Specially at the lowest one.
    I was expecting a poorly laid out post with some moronic viewpoint.

I was pleasantly surprised, great analogy and well laid out.

*hands cookie*

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Fafryd View Post
    Do you want new PVP maps? Won't that just lengthen queues by splitting players even further?
    I suppose they could develop a new map with each patch, and retire one of the previous ones. That way people wouldn't be split among more WFs, but there would be something new to do.

Open world is my preference, but if they wanted to keep WFs "new", this would be an option.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Playahr View Post
    I wonder how a new player that buys the game will feel thinking that he has to grind T1 gear, then T2 gear then Gsb , Gp , Ros , finally hammerkneel and by the time he even gets there new content will be out.
    Except I keep hearing people saying that T1 has been nerfed, and you can skip right to T2 with crafted gear. So the newbie dungeon crawlers do have a leg up.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    I suppose they could develop a new map with each patch, and retire one of the previous ones. That way people wouldn't be split among more WFs, but there would be something new to do.

Open world is my preference, but if they wanted to keep WFs "new", this would be an option.
    Personally I think the best way to do it is make it so that you just queue for Warfronts period and it randomly puts you in one.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Redh View Post
    Well the obvious answer to both 'problems' mentioned earlier (queue times and idiots in warfronts making the grind worse) is to introduce a 5 person map. This will allow for full on premade vs premade, and could be a lot of fun...
    give us arenas. fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowclaimer View Post
    Trion has stated in the past they have plans for RvR content.

Stick tight.
    The problem as I see it is that it might be too little too late. With several games coming out this fall that will dent ALL current MMO populations, Trion should act now to save what they have & attract more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    Except I keep hearing people saying that T1 has been nerfed, and you can skip right to T2 with crafted gear. So the newbie dungeon crawlers do have a leg up.
    newbie pvpers have a leg up to you can get 175 valor from doing world quests and chest enchant
    Last edited by Rottweiler-STi; 07-14-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Prophet of Telara

Well... Even if I think that any attempt to bring PvP to a RPG setting is a waste of resources, here goes...

You are naive at thinking this will help any1 but PvP Guilds with top geared players...

...PvP Rifts seems like a good idea... But I tell you something NOW... They will turn into organized grinding sessions with Strong PvPers scaring off the competence and having "voluntary targets" to grind into them (Taking turns, probably)...

...Hence my initial phrase... "PvPers" that come to a RPG setting are not interested in fighting other players... They are just interested on if they have to fight another player having 100% chances to win... This inherent logic of the majority of RPG PvPers is what dooms beforehand any attempt to trigger new PvP situations...

...They are coldly evaluated as a source for "The Grind" and optimized as such.
    I love all your baseless positions and psychological evaluations of PvP players, do you have a newsletter I could subscribe to?
    Why do you even contribute to a thread on PvP when you have the feelings that you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kthulu View Post
    Could there be another way to get favor/prestige?
    From the patch notes:

PVP RIFTS
    * The armies of the Ascended can now open special PvP rifts at Rift Raid locations. Opening these rifts secures sourcestone for your faction, but also leaves you open to attack from enemies! Keep the rift open as long as you can to gain the most rewards - or close your enemy's rift for additional bonuses!
    * PTS ONLY: Temporary openers can be found on Fluffy in Zareph's Return. These rifts are currently only active in Stillmoor. Currently the objects in this rift ignore the "PvP Auto Flag" option, so beware! Please direct feedback to the PTS forums, thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast