+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: PTS, Patch Notes, and You!

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default PTS, Patch Notes, and You!

Hi everyone!

I wanted to lift the curtain a bit on the patch note process for PTS when it comes to major game updates (the 1.2s and 1.3s of Rift), and what goes on with the PTS in general.

We use our PTS for a wide variety of things - upcoming patch testbed for players, internal and external Dungeon, Warfront, and Raid testing, prototype testing for new features, events, sometimes even demos and shows. Much of the time the content in PTS patches is heavily work-in-progress data, incomplete or intended for testing and tweaking. Sometimes the content is only accessible via dev commands! All of it is highly subject to change before it ever makes it to live Rift shards. Some won't even make it there.

Internally, we have various target dates to get us 'on the runway' for a major game patch (a 1.2, for example). Things can and do change after those points but they're the tipping point for when PTS builds go from 'playground testing' to preparation for release. That's the time when PTS updates start being labeled as "1.X PTS Builds" until they go live, and when they start having patch notes to summarize the changes intended for live shards.

One of those runway dates is coming this week. Along with it, the first round of patch notes for 1.3! I've actually been working on those for the last several days (there are a LOT of changes that have to be sifted through for these updates, including the above-mentioned cases where things were tweaked multiple times!) in preparation for the build making it onto PTS. As an added challenge, most of the team members who would typically review the notes content are currently working at E3, so there may be some delay this week as it's pretty rough reading my gigantic emails on a phone while standing on a show floor.

So that's where we're at! The notes are coming up, intending to get them posted either late this week or early next.

I'm also going to be putting a note up on the PTS Patcher and this forum during the periods between major updates to let people know whether things are heavily WIP, or approaching a 1.X build, which might help better explain "y u no patch note” for a given download.

Thanks!

Go ahead an text me those changes, I can read them for them!

all i care about is PvP changes and if there will be any addition to Pvp.
    My Guide on how to use a controller to play Rift. Here
    <Banished>

Sez

Mods read our posts? Incredible... Hey everyone, look! Patch notes updates @_@

Quote Originally Posted by Amary View Post
    "y u no patch note”
    Love it!!
    Last edited by Sez; 06-07-2011 at 01:39 PM.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Amary View Post
    Hi everyone!

I wanted to lift the curtain a bit on the patch note process for PTS when it comes to major game updates (the 1.2s and 1.3s of Rift), and what goes on with the PTS in general.

We use our PTS for a wide variety of things - upcoming patch testbed for players, internal and external Dungeon, Warfront, and Raid testing, prototype testing for new features, events, sometimes even demos and shows. Much of the time the content in PTS patches is heavily work-in-progress data, incomplete or intended for testing and tweaking. Sometimes the content is only accessible via dev commands! All of it is highly subject to change before it ever makes it to live Rift shards. Some won't even make it there.

Internally, we have various target dates to get us 'on the runway' for a major game patch (a 1.2, for example). Things can and do change after those points but they're the tipping point for when PTS builds go from 'playground testing' to preparation for release. That's the time when PTS updates start being labeled as "1.X PTS Builds" until they go live, and when they start having patch notes to summarize the changes intended for live shards.

One of those runway dates is coming this week. Along with it, the first round of patch notes for 1.3! I've actually been working on those for the last several days (there are a LOT of changes that have to be sifted through for these updates, including the above-mentioned cases where things were tweaked multiple times!) in preparation for the build making it onto PTS. As an added challenge, most of the team members who would typically review the notes content are currently working at E3, so there may be some delay this week as it's pretty rough reading my gigantic emails on a phone while standing on a show floor.

So that's where we're at! The notes are coming up, intending to get them posted either late this week or early next.

I'm also going to be putting a note up on the PTS Patcher and this forum during the periods between major updates to let people know whether things are heavily WIP, or approaching a 1.X build, which might help better explain "y u no patch note” for a given download.

Thanks!
    ...and this is why I'm really starting to like Trion. A bunch of people request information in a normal MMO? Their posts get deleted and they get forum bans. A bunch of people request information here? They get an explanation about why it's not out yet, and a timetable for when it will be.

Thank you. Again. Looking forward to the patch notes (and specifically information on shard transfers -- being on an 80% EST shard is FTL when you live in Seattle).
    Last edited by Ampere; 06-07-2011 at 01:38 PM.
    Kashta, 50 Rogue / Gwythiant, 41 Cleric / Ampere, 37 Mage

Can't wait for the patch notes. Should be interesting.

Ascendant

great news thanks

obligatory Y U NERF MY STORMCALLER?

All of that is well and good, and the response is appreciated, but it's not well and good enough.

Just tossing clients around on the PTS without documented changes--and I'm going to go ahead and assume that each change is documented as it's made, correct me if I'm wrong--doesn't really help testers or even regular players to react to the changes.

I think we all understand that the test server is exactly that, and that changes that occur on it aren't necessarily going live with the next patch, a future patch, or even at all, but to not provide documentation of changes that occur from PTS client to PTS client, regardless of what's going to be in the live patch, is just awful to those of us that care about the future of the game.

I've been *****ing quite vocally lately about what I perceive are bad decisions that Trion has made towards the game, in particular how PvP is played. Honestly? Completely ****ing honestly? I want to be proven wrong.

But I fear that I won't be.
    Last edited by Corian; 06-07-2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: clarified a sentence
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    All of that is well and good, and the response is appreciated, but it's not well and good enough.
    If they ****ted gold you would whine that it dont profume of roses...
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizo View Post
    If they ****ted gold you would whine that it dont profume of roses...
    And if there was footage of trion employees drowning kittens you would have a defense for them.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post

Just tossing clients around on the PTS without documented changes--and I'm going to go ahead and assume that each change is documented as it's made, correct me if I'm wrong--doesn't really help testers or even regular players to react to the changes.

I think we all understand that the test server is exactly that, and that changes that occur on it aren't necessarily going live with the next patch, a future patch, or even at all, but to not provide documentation of changes that occur from PTS client to PTS client, regardless of what's going to be in the live patch, is just awful to those of us that care about the future of the game.

I've been *****ing quite vocally lately about what I perceive are bad decisions that Trion has made towards the game, in particular how PvP is played. Honestly? Completely ****ing honestly? I want to be proven wrong.

But I fear that I won't be.
    internal testing + the fact every one would whine left and right if they posted changes and changed them majorly between test versions, especially class changes.
    Devotion/Octobeast - Aion - Uprising
    Orion - WAR - DDH
    Devotion/Octobeast - AOC - DDH
    Devotion/Octobeast - Lineage2 - RK/Uprising
    Orion - DAOC - Nolby Pride
    Orion/Smoke - UO - 6i6/-7-

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    And if there was footage of trion employees drowning kittens you would have a defense for them.
    Actually, I've been very critical of Trion's mistakes in the past (e.g. I've said before, and will repeat here, I thought the plaque changes in 1.2 were an amateurish ****-up). So, no, I wouldn't. I think Trion are doing a great job with their communicativeness. If that's not enough for you, hey, go to any other MMO forum, and demand an ETA on some promised change, and watch how fast you lose posting access. Really, have some perspective, and settle for the ETA.
    Last edited by Ampere; 06-07-2011 at 11:46 PM.
    Kashta, 50 Rogue / Gwythiant, 41 Cleric / Ampere, 37 Mage

dmv

Best. Post. Ever.
    Retired due to lack of PVP content and boring/repetitive game mechanics.

I'm still hopping for some PVP content.
    ^-^
    Krissha@Zaviel
    Isabelpantoja@Zaviel

dmv

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladai View Post
    I'm still hopping for some PVP content.
    ^-^
    Yeah, I had heard when 1.2 launched, that 1.3 would be pvp centric. Boy did I get trolled.
    Retired due to lack of PVP content and boring/repetitive game mechanics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast