+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the day the earth became a lava-lamp.

Thumbs down the day the earth became a lava-lamp.

Last edited by 13moons; 06-18-2010 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Dave Martin/AP

I hope the government fines BP for each and every dollar of cleanup plus cost of lost wages for every person in the south.

Of course that won't happen probably. We'll be lucky to get cost of cleanup taken care of.

Prophet of Telara

Well as much as I agree that BP should take some blame there have been many reports over here that America shouldn't be pointing the finger at everyone else for they have their own blame in this.

Check out this article.

There's many reports that it was American firms that owned and operated the rig, and the parts made all over the world.

Where was America when the victims of Katrina were calling out for help? Yet now they demand that BP should pay for the loss of livelihood for all the people affected in the Southern States.

Perhaps the American over usage of fossil fuels has come back to haunt them, not that I'd wish disaster upon Americans.

It's a disaster of unprecedented scale, I agree, but pointing the finger firmly and squarely at BP is a bit unfair in my opinion. It's almost America saying 'we'd never do anything like this...it must be the Brits'.

Perhaps the world's to blame for our serious misuse of this blue globe of wonder we inhabit. I think I'd stick at that rather than blame the company spending billions to try and clean this up.

And no I don't work for BP, nor (like I suggested) believe they are totally innocent.
    We Were The Defiant

Then Rift went Trivial and Dull

BP is guilty of some things, the US government (MMS) is definitely also guilty of some things, and we're all (the whole industrialized world) guilty in some ways, too. Do you drive a car or fly in planes? Do you use plastics, fabrics, or other petroleum products? The oil has to come from somewhere.

Accidents are going to happen. What we've got to work on (as a planet) is reducing the frequency of those accidents in any ways we can, and then improving on how we handle them when they occur. The handling of this accident has been absolutely abysmal by all involved, and it's STILL leaking. BP AND the US government should be ashamed of themselves at how poorly they are handling things.

One good way to help reduce the frequency of these types of accidents (and to make stopping the leak and cleaning up easier), is to drill on land or in shallower water. There are plenty of places we could be drilling where we aren't, and forcing the rigs into deeper and deeper water was just one of the many poor decisions that lead to this disaster. If we have to have oil (which for the time being, we do), we should be getting it in the best way that has the smallest impact on the environment overall. Obviously deep water drilling wasn't the way.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

Prophet of Telara

Good post Fozzik. I think everyone invloved needs to come to the same aggreement that this is a major eco-disaster that needs many heads (and bank balances) put together to sort it out rather than point fingers.

Finger pointing doesn't stop the oil.
    We Were The Defiant

I just dont understand how this could have happened. Bp has 92 violations on that rig. Other major il producers usually get up to 2 or 3 violations. I mean this is outrageous! I Hope Bp has to pay every single person who has been effected by this.

People have been railing against onshore oil drilling for a long, long, long time. Ever wonder where these people are when an offshore site is proposed? I mean, I live a precious few hours south of oil sands country and Greenpeace never, ever, ever shuts up about how horrible it is (and it's not terribly friendly to the environment) as they arrive at protests, all in their own gas-guzzlers.

This whole thing is a goddamned mess and hopefully someone pays and pays big.

The Unofficial Oldschool Server - Because a kick-*** community doesn't just build itself.
    Also, be sure to visit RiftSeekers so that Faelor doesn't beat me this week.

That looks delicious.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

I just keep shaking my head at news of this disaster. It makes me sad to see this destruction. But at the same time i see the pic in the OP and think it is as beautiful as it is ugly. Ugly for the nasty mess and damage, but beautiful for the colors and strange patterns i see in it.

Oil and politics, dirty, dirty. It isn't the brits that are to be blamed, the company itself is, large corporation with stake holders of both countries will pay the cleanup as they see their shares turn to junk status. Ultimately the fault lies in us americans for allowing our politicians to continue fillling each others pockets with foreing regulated oil price money, car manufacturers that refuse to create alternative fuel vehicles while nurturing the hypocracy of large corporations that exploit all of our earth's natural resources. BP is just as gulty, I am sure they held a toast when they signed the deal to lease the rig to fill their greedy pockets at the expence of us yanks irresponsible and glutonous use of energy.
    I am sure that BP would love to come out of this mess without a hint of responsibility, but ultimately both goverments need to work together and figure out a way to help the people affected and restore the wildlife while waking up to the reality of how bad we need to change to other energy alternatives.
    Never explain — your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Yaladan View Post
    Oil and politics, dirty, dirty. It isn't the brits that are to be blamed, the company itself is, large corporation with stake holders of both countries will pay the cleanup as they see their shares turn to junk status. Ultimately the fault lies in us americans for allowing our politicians to continue fillling each others pockets with foreing regulated oil price money, car manufacturers that refuse to create alternative fuel vehicles while nurturing the hypocracy of large corporations that exploit all of our earth's natural resources. BP is just as gulty, I am sure they held a toast when they signed the deal to lease the rig to fill their greedy pockets at the expence of us yanks irresponsible and glutonous use of energy.
    I am sure that BP would love to come out of this mess without a hint of responsibility, but ultimately both goverments need to work together and figure out a way to help the people affected and restore the wildlife while waking up to the reality of how bad we need to change to other energy alternatives.

Well to be fair, I don't think that BP are held with the highest regard in the UK. Most of them are run by fat cats taking huge bonuses while the average Brit sits penniless in their garden.

It does just make me boggle to see American senators sitting in a room cursing BP's directors for this mess when they know full well that without their ridiculous environmental policies they wouldn't need so much damn oil in the first place. I can't say I know about their legislations regarding oil drilling but why was the accident allowed to happen? Was it just BP that can be blamed for that?

Haven't the US also declined aid from a number of sources? Maybe they should accept the help and get it cleaned up as fast as possible rather than sitting about discussing who's to blame.
    We Were The Defiant

I think it was BP that declined the aid which I thought was crazy. Mid-east oil countries offered aid, even a film director (James Cameron?) offered aid because of his experience with deep sea bots and exploration, but BP declined. The good part is they are accepting aid from other oil companies at least and they've adopted a new technology that will suck up the oil off the water surface and underneath which will help more then the booms.

I wish our gov't would really step in and do a show of force in cleaning this mess up and in stopping the damned leak. It just boggles my mind that we're still letting BP run this show. Sure it's their pipline and well, but after what? 3 months? it's still spewing death into the gulf and the situation is only getting worse with each passing day, and if that storm in the southern gulf turns into a hurricane... well the **** will really be out of control.

If this disaster doesn't send a clear message to our gov't and the US people that we have to move away from crude oil and adopt cleaner more environmentally friendly energy technologies I don't know what will.

Quote Originally Posted by DSWBeef View Post
    I just dont understand how this could have happened. Bp has 92 violations on that rig. Other major il producers usually get up to 2 or 3 violations. I mean this is outrageous! I Hope Bp has to pay every single person who has been effected by this.
    Two big reasons. Deregulation and the oil inspectors literally being in bed with BP Oil.

BP would write the inspection reports themselves in pencil to be filled in ink by the inspectors it said why this happened. BP also had employees sleep with the inspectors.

Another big reason is deregulation. Cheney and Bush helped remove a law that required these wells to have an automatic shutoff valve.

The problem with things like this become so political. If we blame the Bushies for this disaster it just makes it an us against them situation. If the conservatives blame Obama response then it also becomes an us against them. It then becomes very hard to agree that Big corporations should not be able to endanger the livelihood of millions of people with no oversight. We end up with fighting over who is right and wrong and do very little to help the country. It is very hard to discuss things like this without expressing political views and dragging the discussion down into a "I am right you are wrong" discussion from which we will both lose.
    Last edited by Zinn; 06-26-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
    I just don't understand how this could have happened. BP has 92 violations on that rig. Other major il producers usually get up to 2 or 3 violations. I mean this is outrageous! I Hope BP has to pay every single person who has been effected by this.
    It is the same old story. Bribes and payoffs, corruption etc etc just to make a buck and to hell with the environment and peoples health. I WANT PROFIT! Name your company name the cliché IT is ALL about one thing. GREED.

It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

+ Reply to Thread