+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Default What are you reading?

Alright, once again I'm bored and my last thread proved to be a bit less than interesting to the majority of the forum population. So we'll try something different. I read about a book a day, and I've seen that other people around here do a good bit of reading as well. So, the point of this thread is simple. Post what you're reading, talk about it a bit, give it a recommendation if you want.

Personally, I'm reading Kris Longknife - Deserter and the series is turning out better than expected (although I like the second book less well than the first). I'm hoping it'll morph into a more Harrington style military novel than this sort of back and forth high society thing it's doing currently (the first was concerned more with such issues than this).
    Ipsa scientia potestas est

Hmm this is a hard one... I mostly read science fiction, however I do read other genres. However now that exams are around the corner I read books that I was studying from for the past year... [I am surprised that we "didnt" learn all of this...] due to the lack of time I am reading any Manga I can get my hands on...
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

I just finished Le Petit Prince. Loved it, but it was so sad.

“They say you are to be the greatest hero in a past I’ll never know. Learn this, and it shall be so:
    Let the only fear you ever know be the fear you inspire in your foes.
    If you can do that in your heart, glory will follow you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Elladar View Post
    Hmm this is a hard one... I mostly read science fiction, however I do read other genres. However now that exams are around the corner I read books that I was studying from for the past year... [I am surprised that we "didnt" learn all of this...] due to the lack of time I am reading any Manga I can get my hands on...
    Heh, well just tell us about which book or manga you're in the middle of (or the last one you finished like Bella).

Quote Originally Posted by TemetNosce View Post
    Heh, well just tell us about which book or manga you're in the middle of (or the last one you finished like Bella).
    Didnt read books for about 2 months, so I will tell about few mangas! ;)

Finished reading Full Metal Alchemist. Really interesting.. As title implies its about alchemy and philosophers stone.
    Currently Reading Naruto|Bleach|One Piece. Naruto is about Ninjas, Bleach about shinigami|soul reapers, One Piece.. About some rubber dude.. Funny stuff... ;) Also finished reading a while ago Hellsing - about vampires in London!! And Slam Dunk - about basketball, also really funny! There is about 200 more I am currently reading and about 50 or so that I have finished reading... So yeah, spend a lot of time on these things! Ahh almoust forgot. Two mangas which are written in a MMORPG style! 1 - Yureka and 2 - 1/2 Prince! Really good, and have some aspects of EQ 1/2 and other MMOs! Both are definitely worth reading!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Yeah, I've read and watched both FMA and Hellsing. Although I'm waiting to watch the new remade FMA till it finishes in a week or two. Still honestly I tend to prefer the anime, because the manga just don't have enough on one page (leaves me impatient for the next).

I'm one of those that reads a book a day. What I'm reading now, sadly, is not something I'd recommend, and actually, I'm not even going to admit what it is.

However! I have lots of good recommendations!

The Stranger by Max Frei

The Immortal Prince and The Gods of Amyrantha by Jennifer Fallon

Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

These are just a few of my favorite recent books. I always have more recommendations if you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raevin View Post
    I'm one of those that reads a book a day. What I'm reading now, sadly, is not something I'd recommend, and actually, I'm not even going to admit what it is.
    Come on, can't be that bad. I read voraciously, and continually encounter books that are... underwhelming to say the least.

Good recommendations, although Fallon's work begins to break down after the first book in my opinion.

Come on, can't be that bad. I read voraciously, and continually encounter books that are... underwhelming to say the least.

Good recommendations, although Fallon's work begins to break down after the first book in my opinion.
    /sigh Ok, I'm currently reading "Eclipse". Yes, the 3rd Twilight book. I have a valid excuse though, my daughter is a fanatic, and the movie comes out next week, so I'll be forced to go see it and wanted to read the book first.

Oh, I also wanted to mention Kushiel's Dart and the rest of the Kushiel's series by Jacqueline Carey. I was completely surprised by these books. I picked up the first two to take to Hawaii with me for beach reading, thinking it was basically romantic fantasy fluff. Nope. They're *really* well written, lots of intrigue, espionage, a really cool lore and history, and um, lots of hot sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Raevin View Post
    /sigh Ok, I'm currently reading "Eclipse". Yes, the 3rd Twilight book. I have a valid excuse though, my daughter is a fanatic, and the movie comes out next week, so I'll be forced to go see it and wanted to read the book first.

Oh, I also wanted to mention Kushiel's Dart and the rest of the Kushiel's series by Jacqueline Carey. I was completely surprised by these books. I picked up the first two to take to Hawaii with me for beach reading, thinking it was basically romantic fantasy fluff. Nope. They're *really* well written, lots of intrigue, espionage, a really cool lore and history, and um, lots of hot sex.
    Ah, yeah. The Twilight books were pretty bad alright.

And yes, Carey regularly appears as one of my most suggested reads and favorite authors. Have you read her Godslayer/Banewreaker duology? The Kushiel series (which continues after that trilogy although I prefer the original three) isn't her only work.

I have loved everything Jacqueline Carey has written but if you have never read her be forewarned that it the Kushiel series may take you significantly out of your comfort zone.

Ah, yeah. The Twilight books were pretty bad alright.

And yes, Carey regularly appears as one of my most suggested reads and favorite authors. Have you read her Godslayer/Banewreaker duology? The Kushiel series (which continues after that trilogy although I prefer the original three) isn't her only work.
    I have read Godslayer or Banewreaker. I've read both the Kushiel trilogies and the first of the Naamah trilogy, and just noticed that the 2nd was just released on Monday. Have to get it.

Plane Touched

Just finished"For the Win" by Cory Doctorow. Plot centers around gold farmers and game economies. Fairly entertaining but be warned ... you'll get a bit of economic theory along with battles and mayhem! Actually, I liked it. Read it on the recommendation of a friend.

I just finished reading the dark elf trilogy for the first time, and am now reading the crystal shard (book one of the icewind dale series). So far these books have been amazing!!!
    Level 65 Ranger of Temerity - Al'kabor (EQMac) http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1420331

Video Games - For the Real Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Avram View Post
    I just finished reading the dark elf trilogy for the first time, and am now reading the crystal shard (book one of the icewind dale series). So far these books have been amazing!!!
    Ah yeah, Salvatore gets a lot of flack these days, but his books about Drizzt's homeland were easily his best on Drizzt in my opinion (although honestly, I prefer his Demon War saga books overall).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast