+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or does watching all this console stuff on E3 make you sick?

Angry Is it just me or does watching all this console stuff on E3 make you sick?

So I am watching E3 and all the console stuff (i.e. Sony. Nintendo) and am saddened that consoles have become so popular. All that wasted game dev time! Don't people realize that even the best console games could never compete with the best games made solely for the PC? The computer is all you really need and the console is just an inferior, outdated computer. So we have to suffer with bad graphics, checkpoints instead of saves etc. The list goes on forever but they are all limitations based off their crappy mini computer consoles. So instead of getting incredible games made just for PC's we get limited junk. Ok some of it looks ok but it could be 200% better if designed for high power pc's.

I guess what I am trying to say is the developers go where the money is. Stop buying their consoles and go back to the pc and they will follow the money. We will get not just better games but a full selection of non compromised games. Maybe I am understanding this all wrong but I don't think so. If you have something to add of correct me on plz do.

I agree.. Pcs are way better than consoles... Consoles have crippled ALL games. Good example is AvP [2010] release.. That thing is literally console game sold on pc...
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Thumbs up So true

Ay, I totally agree. I was given a Wii as a gift along with 50 games. I hated them all. Was back on my PC within a week.

I play both because of exclusives. Personally, while I do prefer the keyboard and mouse style control of the PC, I'm not bothered by the consoles since it gives a different experience (in addition to generally having different design philosophies).
    Ipsa scientia potestas est

I totally prefer PC's. I was raised on C64 and PC RPG's. Console RPG's have just never been able to match their PC cousins.

That being said though, I do like the occasional racing or arcade game as a throwback to the old arcades from when I was a kid. Never been able to get the hang of doing racing games on PC.

Consoles are almost required unfortunately and there really isn't much we can do about it. It's all a matter of what a person can handle and some people just don't have the mental faculties to handle a pc.

They just need something where you can plug in something, turn it on and there they go. Anything more complicated starts to confuse them and that's just the simple truth of it.

The other thing to think about is piracy ... while piracy on consoles does exist it's at a much lower rate than pc's and so that is why developers really like them. They get a higher money vs work effort ratio.
    Last edited by Sablehawk; 06-16-2010 at 10:29 AM.

The ONLY game I care for this year's E3 is RIFT and to some extend the other games TRION is developing. If you leave it up to me I'd remove all the other E3 booth,s and make ONE BIG TRION stand of the E3. Now wouldn't that be something? Every plane an hall / section loads of art like the plane of like thing. *drool*

Regards,
    Kalbuir

I don't mind console, I own a PS3 myself.
    The only thing that bothers me is console ports to PCs.

Shooters/RPGs I prefer on the PC, otherwise I prefer the console.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    The ONLY game I care for this year's E3 is RIFT and to some extend the other games TRION is developing. If you leave it up to me I'd remove all the other E3 booth,s and make ONE BIG TRION stand of the E3. Now wouldn't that be something? Every plane an hall / section loads of art like the plane of like thing. *drool*

Regards,
    Kalbuir
    *Drools* I vote for Kalbuir to be next years E3 organiser!!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Sablehawk View Post
    Consoles unfortunately are almost required unfortunately and there really isn't much we can do about it. It's all a matter of what a person can handle and unfortunately some people just don't have the mental faculties to handle a pc.

They just need something where you can plug in something, turn it on and there they go. Anything more complicated starts to confuse them and that's just the simple truth of it.

The other thing to think about is piracy ... while piracy on consoles does exist it's at a much lower rate than pc's and so that is why developers really like them. They get a higher money vs work effort ratio.
    Yep you have to spoon feed some people. Don't want those people watching my back in a guild.

Piracy of pc is higher becasue it better and a pc is what the hackers own. Why would they own a console? Both kinds are just as easy to crack. The hackers themselves typically don't own consoles. Piracy of console games is generally for reasons of resale in blackmarket trading. Like you see on the streets of NYC.

I had fun with Everquest Online Adventures on the PS2. It brought me into MMO gaming even if it was a shadow of a real PC MMO game. It was fun. I grinded on that game for years. I never knew it could be so much better on the PC. Eventually I left EQOA, never to look back. If they ever made a sequel on a future console, I would be there in a second. It really was that fun.

its all about the money
    PC piracy is much much more developed than console piracy

Quote Originally Posted by g0kuenuan View Post
    its all about the money
    Thats true. You can control the ecosystem better, nickel and dime a person, and more importantly control the living room. Thats what Sony and Microsoft have been trying to do for years.

More than that, developing a console game is easier in a way. Everyone has the same system and finite resources. No need to worry about supporting a myriad of configurations like PC games have to. This allows for better optimization and overall polish in a game. Then they rake in all that money... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by g0kuenuan View Post
    its all about the money
    I won't do it because is prolly against the rules of the board but I could direct you to 20 websites just off the top of my head that have every console game ever created for illegal download. All you have to do is copy the file burn to a disk and put in your console machine. How hard is that? I am not suggesting you do any of what was mentioned as it's illegal. Just making a point. It is just the same for pc games except you don't have to burn to a disc. You use a ghost drive.

So I don't think pc piracy is more developed as all console stuff is cracked already as well as pc stuff. Although there is more pc material to crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Flipmode View Post
    More than that, developing a console game is easier in a way. Everyone has the same system and finite resources. No need to worry about supporting a myriad of configurations like PC games have to. This allows for better optimization and overall polish in a game. Then they rake in all that money... ;)
    It's easy to overlook this.

It's also easy to overlook the fact that console games are held to a higher standard with regards to bugs on release than PC titles. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all maintain their own internal QA teams who test submission candidates. Before a game can be released for a console system, those first party QA teams have to approve the build. Unless you're developing for Games for Windows Live, there's pretty much no such QA for PC games.

*-Opinions expressed in this post do not represent any current or past employers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast