+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any Fans Of The Written Word Here?

Default Any Fans Of The Written Word Here?

I love to read.

My favorite right now is George R R Martin's series "The Song Of Ice and Fire"

and Steven Erikson's Malazan's series.

Also just finished Glen Cook;s about the Black Company, "Books of the North.

Loved "Lonesome Dove", would like to find a similar one to read.

Any good recommendations?

"Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago."
    - Horace Mann (1796 - 1859)

Hmm I can advice this: [If you like science fiction!]
    Writer: Timothy Zahn
    Novels: "Dragonback Series"
    - Dragon and Thief (2003)
    - Dragon and Soldier (2004)
    - Dragon and Slave (2005)
    - Dragon and Herdsman (2006)
    - Dragon and Judge (2007)
    - Dragon and Liberator (2008)
    I have read first 3 books, cant get my hands on other 3... So far I would give it 12/10 stars.

Edit: I believe that I have also read The Icarus Hunt (1999). However it was AGES ago, so I dont remember well, the name rings a bell and story line as well. If I remember correctly this is also a good thing to read!
    Last edited by Elladar; 06-11-2010 at 04:17 PM.
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

I remember reading a clash of kings, it was pretty good. Unfortunately, I never got to read anything beyond that.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Quote Originally Posted by Elladar View Post
    Hmm I can advice this: [If you like science fiction!]
    Writer: Timothy Zahn
    Novels: "Dragonback Series"
    - Dragon and Thief (2003)
    - Dragon and Soldier (2004)
    - Dragon and Slave (2005)
    - Dragon and Herdsman (2006)
    - Dragon and Judge (2007)
    - Dragon and Liberator (2008)
    I have read first 3 books, cant get my hands on other 3... So far I would give it 12/10 stars.
    I will look these up, and thank you for the suggestions.

"Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago."

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlo View Post
    I remember reading a clash of kings, it was pretty good. Unfortunately, I never got to read anything beyond that.
    Go back to the "Game of Thrones" give it another try Hanlo. I love his character development.

I recommend "Julie and Julia", by Julie Powell. It was an excellent book. I have yet to read Julia Child's "My Life in France", but I am sure that it is also quite good.

EDIT: How could I have forgotten Jane Austen? If you have not read her books yet, then do :]
    Last edited by Bellatrix; 06-11-2010 at 06:13 PM.

“They say you are to be the greatest hero in a past I’ll never know. Learn this, and it shall be so:
    Let the only fear you ever know be the fear you inspire in your foes.
    If you can do that in your heart, glory will follow you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxy View Post
    Any good recommendations?
    Well, off the top of my head these are all excellent places to start for relatively serious fantasy. If you need more, tell me.

Scott Lynch's Gentleman ******* sequence
    (only two are out, very good non traditional fantasy)
    Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind (it's traditional fantasy but what makes it wonderful is that he's one of the best pure writers I've ran into)
    Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series and Godslayer duology (the first is non traditional fantasy from the view point of a masochist, the second is philosophical fantasy from the view point of evil)
    C.S. Friedman's Coldfire trilogy (an interesting and convulted read where the main character... isn't)
    R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy and sequels (A grim series where the writing starts off horrible with an incredible plot, and you can watch the writing improve until it's near flawless (he wrote the first book over the course of more than a decade)

Edit: Apparently this one of those irritating forums that censor out all profanity. On the off chance that it's also over moderated and I haven't noticed I won't retype it, but the word means a child born out of wedlock.
    Last edited by TemetNosce; 06-11-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: You censored my bloody post.
    Ipsa scientia potestas est

My favorite right now is George R R Martin's series "The Song Of Ice and Fire"
    Awesome writing and story telling (just don't get attached to any of the characters ;) )
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

Literally anything by Joe Abercrombie ... I loved his first law series.

Jim Butcher if you want something with magic but in a current timeline
    Jack Campbell for his Sci-fi Lost fleet series
    Richard Morgan rocks for his cyberpunk future timeline works

But I think the best author I've ever read is Patrick Rothfuss and his Name of the wind book. I just wish he would finish the 2nd dang book already. 4 years between books is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sablehawk View Post
    But I think the best author I've ever read is Patrick Rothfuss and his Name of the wind book. I just wish he would finish the 2nd dang book already. 4 years between books is a bit much.
    You need to obsess more about Rothfuss, it's got a publication date according to his blog. March 2010.

Now I just wish Lynch would hurry up...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatrix View Post
    I recommend "Julie and Julia", by Julie Powell. It was an excellent book. I have yet to read Julia Child's "My Life in France", but I am sure that it is also quite good.

EDIT: How could I have forgotten Jane Austen? If you have not read her books yet, then do :]
    Yes I read Jane Austin many years ago, and loved them.

I liked Patrick Rothfuss's book as well. Looking forward to the second one.
    I enjoyed The Prince of Nothing as well.

I am going to check out Richard Morgan's Cyber punk books and Scott Lynch's books.

Thank you for all the suggestions everyone.
    Last edited by Maxxy; 06-11-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
    Awesome writing and story telling (just don't get attached to any of the characters ;) )
    I know, I read so much, that it is really hard to surprise me, but he sure did. And he did it brilliantly!! I won't tell you how many times I have reread his series, but learn something new every time.

I am going to check out Richard Morgan's Cyber punk books and Scott Lynch's books..
    Good choices, I've reread both series recently (Lynch's work I reread regularly though, so that might not count, heh). Should I assume you've read everything else suggested? I can keep listing books for some time if you run out.

Time Travelers Wife - a great take of the modern love story
    Water for Elephants - This book was actually written during the National Write Novel in a Month Month (November)
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Extremely funny and a fantastic adventure (whole series)
    Harry Potter - Any that can get a kid to pick up a book is great in my mind
    World War Z (and the Survival Guide) - LOVE zombies

Than my all time favorite is The Descent by Jeff Long. It is the only book that can give me the shivies.

Of course there are a ton more (I read constantly) but those are some of my favorites.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast