+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How did you get your ingame name?

Default How did you get your ingame name?

Kula is short for Kulamiena Jackson.
    The Kulamiena part came from spending 30 minutes with the EQ name generator until one popped up that was easily shortened, sounded like something a half-elf would be named by her elven mother, and that I liked. I've used variants of Kula for alts ever since (Kularoeni, Kulaid, etc).

The Jackson actually was the last name adopted by most members of the first guild I ever joined in EQ (The Company) and I resisted it for awhile but then 3 of my guildmates (3 warriors)challenged me: If nobody died the entire evening we grouped (we died literally every time we grouped because we always played on the edge of our level/ability) I would adopt the last name. Well they cheated, and forced me to pull (usually they ran out and brought back as many mobs as they could find) in the zone outside KC (I can't remember the name) and nobody died. Thus I became a Jackson.

Elladar. I came up with this name while playing WoW... Used random generator for like 10 minutes found a name similar to this one, changed few letters and boom here it is... Unless it was how I got my "old" WoW name, then im not sure how I got this one.
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

I stared at the character select screen and demanded a name. It then gave me one and I proceeded to use it.

Want a Melee Mage? Support the Theurgist!

Terric Trim original comes from Booster Terrik from the SW universe with different spelling. I didnt like Booster as a first name but thought terric would fit quite well.

Meiga Chuchonas ended up googling for something that would fit my blood mage in VG, I ended up with this which means something like blood sucking witch in some language.

Kalbuir Skirate Stole it from the mandalorian Kal Skirata from the Star Wars Universe who was part of the group of mercanaries who trained the clones on kamino. He later desserted with his inner circle of clones during Order 66. I stole it because I love the mandalorian as a faction / lore / race in SW. Basicly Kal means Knife and Buir means Father, so in mandalorian that would transulate to something along the lines of : Father Knife

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Temet Nosce is a Latin translation of a Greek phrase found in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi. Roughly it means "Thyself though must know". Of course, later on The Matrix popularized it so much that I've actually ran into situations where people have been using my name.

But yeah, I ran into it while reading and since I'd been shifting through a series of nicknames based on whatever was on my mind at the time I adopted it, that was probably over a decade ago and I've used it as my main nick ever since.

If you wanted a story about my in game nicks... yeah, I'll use a word that fits the concept translated into Latin (laziness, it's great).
    Ipsa scientia potestas est

Well I'll go in order....

Farore/Fayore: A god from The Legend of Zelda.... classy.

Narelius: A sufficiently elvish name that I came up with myself. I'm surprised I've never seen it before.

Gavriel: From hebrew גבריאל . The second letter can be a "V" or a "B" depending on the word context. This is obviously where the name "Gabriel" comes from, but the ******s who translated it into English got the second letter wrong, hence the "B" instead of the "V" (Hebrew reads right to left). This is a very fitting name for the character I will be playing ;)

Gavriel Venitiago
    Honor the Sword of Freedom

I use Ancient for my caster types and Nytehawk for my tank / melee dps.

Nytehawk I got from Raymond Fiest and the Rift war books

I really liked Fozzie Bear as a kid, he was my favorite on the muppet show. I also identify a lot with Fezzik from A Princess Bride. I sort of mixed the two together.

Grullen (the "U" is pronounced like the word hull or gull) was just a name I pulled out of the air... I ended up keeping it because I liked people calling me Gru, which I associated with Groo the Wanderer, a comic I really love.

I suppose I have a thing about double consonants. My other character is Gerryk, which I also picked out of thin air... I use that one less often because people assume it's Gerry K., and that my RL name is Gerry (which it's not).

When I have a surname, it's usually Veritas, which is a surname my wife picked out for her characters.
    "Behind this mask, there's an idea... and ideas are bulletproof." -V for Vendetta

forums - Fozzik's Hardware
    blog - The Last Bastion

Raevin, obviously, is just a "creative" spelling of raven. Before I created her, I knew that I wanted a half-elf who was half Dark Elf. Her story is dark and rather disturbing, and being named "raven" fits her. I fit it into her backstory by having a tradition in her mother's family of having bird names, her mother was Robynn.

I will never forget my first mmo character randomly generated by Everquest, Oelno. I haven't really stuck to one character name throughout different games but I have reused a couple in a few games such as:

Seraphis - said to be the highest ranking angel in the angel heirarchy ( I forget the source it's been so long). I first used this name for my Guardian in EQ2 at launch and have used it in Lotro as a Captain, PoM in Aoc, WoW as a Warrior, and DDO as a Paladin.

Emeraldrose - I stole this one from my fiance . She was originally a female Hobbit Hunter but I took the name and used it for a Pally in WoW.

Tristus - Just a name that I thought had an elven ring to it so I have used it to play hunters or rangers.
    Kastus - Makes me think of a Roman soldier so I often use it for a warrior or melee type class.
    Drezek - Seems to have a slight evil ring to it. I have used it for dark elf toon, rogues, and evil caster classes.
    Kaliya - This is my evil female character name. It's Sanskrit for something but I just can't remember what it is. Some evil chicky thing =)

I have more but these are the ones I'm most likely to continue to use.

Abigale Seashadow was my guide name in EverQuest. When SOE hired me, I was allowed to keep the name and my guide character was made into a GM character. I've kept the name for my official forum and game characters ever since.

I picked the name just because it was a name I liked. The EQ world wasn't that big yet and no one else had claimed it with that spelling. ;)

I used Pazu as my forum name because Pazuzu was already taken. I started using it as a name a while ago after seeing the episode of Futurama that starts out with Professor Farnsworth shouting, "Pazuzu you ungrateful gargoyle! I put you through college and this is how you repay me?!"

I also use Vorruga sometimes. I came up with it once while I was playing Scrabble. I had those letters and was shifting them around trying to come up with words.

Kartys is from a character that my very first guild master helped me create. A great deal of hours went into it so I decided to keep it around.

I have since than found other people using the name so my most common variant of it is Rartys (the R looks most like a K).
    Last edited by kartys; 07-11-2010 at 07:34 AM.

Oh, my in-game names? Well let's see I use...

IpwnU - because I do
    XxShadowAssassinxX - because assassins are cool and shadows are dark like my soul. Plus, I like to see the letter "x" repeated
    MileyFan99 - I mean, like, who isn't?
    CarebearGriefer - because depending on how you read it the name either suggests that I grief carebears or I'm a carebear who griefs others which would be ironic and irony is good for the nervous system... or at least I thought I read that in a health magazine

Ok, ok. I typically don't go by any one name and switch it up from game to game depending on what I feel like using. souper is just a forum name and won't be using it in game. Not sure what I'll be using in Rift but IpwnU is really growin' on me...

My first EQ character was Maladan and he was a failure so I scrapped it for a new character and somehow I put the Y instead of the M and had a good ring to it so I have been that ever since, let me tell you tho, in the very early days of EQ I was a big advocate for reverse loot
    Never explain your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast