+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Laptop that will play Rift!

Default Looking for Laptop that will play Rift!

Hello, I'm currently looking into buying a laptop for college. I would like this laptop to be able to run your basic applications but also have power to run Rift! Today is Cyber Monday and there are many great deals on laptops but I do not know enough about what CPU's and other specs are good enough for what I want.

Price range is about 600-800$.

If anyone could help me out this would be great!

tbh any laptop for 800$ (no macbook ofc) will do it . just get 500gb HD, 4GB RAM, and quadcore 2.4+ GHz, i think those would be the basics, and also very affordable

I did not know I would be able to find a Quad Core for a laptop in this price range. I will continue looking!

look at sager,

i love mine

have an ale!

now i dont live in the states, but i know about cyber monday and its discounts as my dad was there today last year and bought me my laptop, also for college. being cyber monday and knowing a little about prices in the US, as i check europes and US prices everytime i buy something wirth this much, i guess u could easily make an awesome deal for a laptop worth 1200$ and just paying 800 for it
    Last edited by Pikachuuu; 11-29-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Someone has suggested this

Acer Aspire AS5742G-7200 NoteBook Intel Core i5 460M(2.53GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M - around $749

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Skii33 View Post
    I've been looking lately too and you are going to have a very difficult time with that range. Basically you need to look at $800 and up. A few dip into the $750 range, however, they are rarely worth the savings compared to one I've found at $800. From what I've seen of all of this weeks deals at Amazon, NewEgg, and Best Buy, not a single one in your price range will be an adequate gaming laptop.

You should look at an (Refurbished) Asus G60JX-RBBX05. It will be $800 wherever you look, but for the money it has awesome specs. It's got a solid core (CPU/Ram) and the Nvidia 360M is a higher-end chip (though a touch older these days.) Being a refurbished model it fades in and out of availability (currently out of stock at Amazon) and it will eventually fade completely (which will happen sooner rather than later). But compared to other things in the $800 range it dominates in specs.

If you have a bit more to spend you can look at something like the ASUS G53JW-XA1 which gets you all the bells and whistles at $1300. You get the highest res, and a very high end chip without paying the like $4k price range for dual super high end chips (which is just silly for laptop gaming).

At an absolute minimum you want to look at something like the Acer Aspire TimelineX AS4820TG-7805, as the AMD 5650 is a solid lower mid-range chip. (On par with Nvidia's 320M/325M, which is used in the Alienware M11x.) However, at the same $800 price as the above system, the above system just completely dominates this one in specs and features. It's not worth considering unless the above disapears due to being phased completely out. And when the above is phased out, likely something else will become the new refurbished darling or system being phased out, and it will also be better than this Acer in terms of price per feature.

Acer Aspire AS5742G-7200 NoteBook Intel Core i5 460M(2.53GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M - around $749
    Avoid!!! The 420M is a non-gaming low-grade entry level chip. While it may be capable of running the game you won't really be able to play the game. You are talking about 20 FPS or less at the lowest possible resolution and settings. During heavy tasks, such as any combat in Mass Effect 2, you can pretty much expect completely unplayable FPS.

You can pretty much enter any laptop model and add 'review' at the end and do a search. Find a page at the 'notebook check' site and they will tell you how it performs in games. Also look for the 3DMark06 marks. You want nothing under 6k, and ideally want around 9k. You can also sometimes find YouTube reviews (like with the $800 Asus where the guy shows the system running Mass Effect 2 at max settings at nearly a flat 60 FPS)

- - -

Please please check with me before getting any laptop. You can quite easily find one that looks good, but it is in fact poop.

Also consider a not-laptop. How much do you actually need portability? Have you considered doing something like getting a lower cost desktop, which would be completely upgradeable and far more power for the money, and also getting a netbook along side it to carry to class for notes and mobility? (I've seen Black Friday / Cyber Monday netbook deals as low as $200 that would work just fine for things like Word, Powerpoint, and other school class needs on the go.)
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Default Asus ROG

I've had my eye on this one for a while now: Asus G60VX-RBBX05. Not too shabby for the price.

Hum, that is a very good price. The GPU rates around the same power in terms of 3DMarks as the $800 refurbished I linked. My concern is that's a much lower CPU core and slower ram. When considering upcoming games and forward you really would want as much power as you can get, particularly with laptops where you can't upgrade the CPU. Thankfully notebook check also covers CPUs (it really is the best site I've found for laptops. ) Let's see how they compare...

Looking at PC Mark Vantage (newest benchmark, thus closest to representing current gen gaming strain)...
    Intel Core 2 Duo P7450 = 3854
    Intel Core i5 430M = 5361

As you can see, it's considerably more powerful, again that doesn't also count faster FSB, faster Ram, etc. (though those would factor into that final score above, I'm saying from a game access and FPS standpoing they likely aren't factored into the score.) Again, if you can get the slightly more money, it shows $100 more than your model at NewEgg, I'd highly recommend holding out for the newer one.

Remember that the one I linked is a model that's been replaced, or about to be, while your's is the next generation back. With laptops it's critical to remember these are effectively obsolte the second you buy them because they can't really be upgraded, so if you are buying something older you have to be very very very carefull. While yours looks ok, I'd really be concerned about it's abilities in the coming years.

It's good you posted it though, peeps like me who may have no choice at all on the matter (I currently have effectively zero income above critical needs) may be in a position of 'that model or nothing' and it does look reasonably capable. (Again, if someone absolutely can't save the extra $100 for the Core i5 model.)
    Last edited by rabb1t; 11-29-2010 at 12:12 PM.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Plane Touched

Also remember that at times, ebay can be your friend. I snagged me a used Asus G51VX-RX05 for $500. All i needed to do was load an operating system on it and it was GTG. It has a Core 2 duo P7350 2.0ghz, GeForce GTX260m, 4gb of DDR2 RAM, 320gb HDD, 15.4" LED WXGA 1366x768 screen. Granted the tech isnt the newest out there, I am fairly sure it will have no problems running RIFT. It ran AOC just fine on mid-high settings even hooked up to my 24" 1920 x 1200 screen running max resolution.

Wanted to add that the ASUS G51vx-rx05 scores 8460 in 3d mark 06 and P4059 in 3d mark Vantage

PS. I feel ya Rabb1t, I got a toddler now and a nother bub on the way lol, plus its xmas so I totally do not have any extra funds for upgrades or newer tech. So my old 200 series cards in my comps will have to do. ALways keep my fingers crossed for the GTX460 give away RIFT is doing for its Beta weekends :-D
    Last edited by dallammarr; 11-29-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Hello, I'm currently looking into buying a laptop for college. I would like this laptop to be able to run your basic applications but also have power to run Rift! Today is Cyber Monday and there are many great deals on laptops but I do not know enough about what CPU's and other specs are good enough for what I want.

If anyone could help me out this would be great!
    an XPS M1730... or you could go with a really expensive alienware thing

Im currently using an XPS M1730.. its working great!

*edit- Actually nevermind, didnt notice the 600-800 price range. Nevermind sorry =\
    Last edited by -Naosyth-; 11-29-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    I've been looking lately too and you are going to have a very difficult time with that range. Basically you need to look at $800 and up. A few dip into the $750 range, however, they are rarely worth the savings compared to one I've found at $800. From what I've seen of all of this weeks deals at Amazon, NewEgg, and Best Buy, not a single one in your price range will be an adequate gaming laptop.

You should look at an (Refurbished) Asus G60JX-RBBX05. It will be $800 wherever you look, but for the money it has awesome specs. It's got a solid core (CPU/Ram) and the Nvidia 360M is a higher-end chip (though a touch older these days.) Being a refurbished model it fades in and out of availability (currently out of stock at Amazon) and it will eventually fade completely (which will happen sooner rather than later). But compared to other things in the $800 range it dominates in specs.

If you have a bit more to spend you can look at something like the ASUS G53JW-XA1 which gets you all the bells and whistles at $1300. You get the highest res, and a very high end chip without paying the like $4k price range for dual super high end chips (which is just silly for laptop gaming).

At an absolute minimum you want to look at something like the Acer Aspire TimelineX AS4820TG-7805, as the AMD 5650 is a solid lower mid-range chip. (On par with Nvidia's 320M/325M, which is used in the Alienware M11x.) However, at the same $800 price as the above system, the above system just completely dominates this one in specs and features. It's not worth considering unless the above disapears due to being phased completely out. And when the above is phased out, likely something else will become the new refurbished darling or system being phased out, and it will also be better than this Acer in terms of price per feature.

Avoid!!! The 420M is a non-gaming low-grade entry level chip. While it may be capable of running the game you won't really be able to play the game. You are talking about 20 FPS or less at the lowest possible resolution and settings. During heavy tasks, such as any combat in Mass Effect 2, you can pretty much expect completely unplayable FPS.

You can pretty much enter any laptop model and add 'review' at the end and do a search. Find a page at the 'notebook check' site and they will tell you how it performs in games. Also look for the 3DMark06 marks. You want nothing under 6k, and ideally want around 9k. You can also sometimes find YouTube reviews (like with the $800 Asus where the guy shows the system running Mass Effect 2 at max settings at nearly a flat 60 FPS)

- - -

Please please check with me before getting any laptop. You can quite easily find one that looks good, but it is in fact poop.

Also consider a not-laptop. How much do you actually need portability? Have you considered doing something like getting a lower cost desktop, which would be completely upgradeable and far more power for the money, and also getting a netbook along side it to carry to class for notes and mobility? (I've seen Black Friday / Cyber Monday netbook deals as low as $200 that would work just fine for things like Word, Powerpoint, and other school class needs on the go.)
    You seem like the type of person I have been searching for.

While a true gaming laptop would be nice, my price range can't budge very much.
    The Asus G60JX-RBBX05 could be an option for me! I'm not big on refurbished, but it might just have to work.
    This will be my first year at an actual college with dorms n such so i'm not sure if I will need mobility or not.
    I am considering a desktop but haven't looked around at any of those yet, if you have any ideas about that it would be much appreciated!

All in all, I really just want to be able to play Rift when it comes out. I'm heading to a friends for the Beta events :P but I can't mooch forever.
    Even if I need to play on med to low settings thats fine with me as it wouldnt be a change from how I play games now >.<". I don't need an extreme gaming rig at this point in my life (That's for later ;;}) but of course, the more bang for the buck is always appreciated.

Since I'm browsin might as well post what i'm seeing. Tell me if I need to avert my eyes?

http://promotions.newegg.com/toshiba..._-Generic-_-NA
    Last edited by Skii33; 11-29-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Naosyth- View Post
    an XPS M1730... or you could go with a really expensive alienware thing

Im currently using an XPS M1730.. its working great!

*edit- Actually nevermind, didnt notice the 600-800 price range. Nevermind sorry =\
    @_@"... Thanks anyway xD

Ok what I suggest if you want to play RIFT on it and have a good machine to do so is to buy the parts from Newegg.com and all you'll have to do is assemble it. It's really easy to do if you can follow directions and are relatively careful.

Here are some parts that put you within the $800 mark. ($568 actually) The monitor and speakers aren't added into that because I don't know if you have any available or not. Although I will include an example.

Case: $20 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811154095
    Graphics: ~$160 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121390
    RAM: $57 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231310
    Moth. B.: $85 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131607
    CPU: $150 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115207
    Power: $35 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817171031
    DVD dr.: $19 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827131061
    HDD: $42 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148452

If you don't have add:
    Monitor(1080p): $150 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824160047
    Monitor (900p): $120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009218
    Headset(5.1 sound): $70 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826265066
    Headset (reg): $25 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826263010

Then if you just need to use a laptop for web browsing and word processing then get:
    Net-book: $195 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220742

Hope it helped.

PyroLock Proud Supporter of a DPS Meter
    CPU: i7-950 @ 3.7 GHz GPU: GTX 470 SOC 770 MHz MB: Asus Rampage III Formula RAM: 6 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 DRIVE:OCZ RevoDrive 120 GB (0.5 GB/sec read rate)

Asus makes some decent laptops for the price you end up paying. My last 2 laptops have been from Asus and I haven't been let down yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast