+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: PST With Ach/GS

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    150

    Default PST With Ach/GS

    This is as much a discussion thread as it is a "did you know what the morons playing WoW have been up to?"

    This is by no means new, but it definitely wasn't around when WoW vanilla came out.

    If you want to join ANY group where the leader is an elitist, you must first send them the "Achievement" link you unlocked by defeating whatever boss they are going to fight.

    You must then tell them your GS - or gear score. GS assigns points to each armor slot, and adds them together. If you don't have a high enough score, you don't do.

    Now, this has places in progression guilds. If you're doing a 10 man raid and can't progress pass the first boss because your healer is in greens - fine.

    But the whole reason I quit WoW is I played sporadically. And everytime I ever logged on after LK - even now - people ask for GS/Achievements.

    Even if you have the gear, certain "Gods of WoW groups" won't let you go because you've never done it before.

    99% of the raiding bosses I learned, I learned from watching videos/reading guides (Had to, it was guild homework :P), and I could pull more healing/DPS while taking the least amount of damage, as compared to an idiot who's run it 2000 times getting carried.

    So, effectively, if you don't have gear, you can't get gear. If you haven't killed raid bosses, you can't kill raid bosses.
    Last edited by Killermandude; 02-15-2011 at 08:24 AM.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Elizinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    totally, this is exactly why so many of is are so vociferously opposed to Gearscore or its equivalent. see, in my country, we do NOT have any especial constitutional right to carry or own firearms. and not surprisingly, there is vastly less gun violence up here. turns out, the same is true for almost all of europe - those parts which havent been bombed into the middle ages. so i say that it doesnt matter if gearscore and damage meters have their uses. they tend to be abused more often, and the consequences of that, nobody wants.
    this word you use . . . i do not think it means what you think it means.


  3. #3
    Rift Master Jakkall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizinator View Post
    totally, this is exactly why so many of is are so vociferously opposed to Gearscore or its equivalent. see, in my country, we do NOT have any especial constitutional right to carry or own firearms. and not surprisingly, there is vastly less gun violence up here. turns out, the same is true for almost all of europe - those parts which havent been bombed into the middle ages. so i say that it doesnt matter if gearscore and damage meters have their uses. they tend to be abused more often, and the consequences of that, nobody wants.
    Your firearms analogy has a slight flaw... look at Canada. They have more guns per person than most countries yet have fewer gun related crimes...

    The tools out there are not the issue, the issue is how they are used. Elitists will be elitists no matter what tools they have at their disposal. If people judge you based on numbers rather than ability, there is nothing that will change their perspective.

    http://www.dragonsyndicate.net/
    "Because Defiants are not waiting for a miracle. We are making one." -MissDoomcookie

  4. #4
    Telaran Graevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Basement.
    Posts
    85

    Default

    While I completely agree that those situations were wildly rampant for WoW, it really stuck only to PuGs (pick up groups/randomplayers).

    I was in a guild that fortunately had competent players, and leadership who understand that a good player is a good player is a good player. Their gear mattered to a point, but no one who was "good enough" to do something was ever left out unless they were a random pug.

    A raid leader can not know if a random pug is a good player, so in order to bring them a long, the requirements need to be much steeper than of those who the raid leader knows can perform.

    I was not the most geared tank at one point during one of the many times I returned to WoW, yet because my friends/guild knew I was good enough back in the day, that once I had minimum gear requires, I was brought in to replace a tank that had left.

    The only problem is whether or not a person has the availability to commit to a guild on a regular basis. If not, then of course people are going to require more of that person - because they don't know how well they will "perform."

  5. #5
    Ascendant Elizinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakkall View Post
    The tools out there are not the issue, the issue is how they are used.
    this was my point exactly. and i was talking about Canada. and i am in canada, so i now the truth of it firsthand. its not so easy to get a gun. there arent massive institutions to guarantee that our populace is well-armed. those with guns are pretty much just criminals and hunters. If waht you say is true about more guns - i have no knowledge on this poit one way or the other - then they are more concentrated. i dont know a single person with a gun, personally. ive never touched or seen up-close a real gun. in fact, i think ive only beheld a gun in actuality in the possession or a soldier or a police officer. and im quite content with that fact.

    the problem isnt with elitists. i believe jurassic park offers an apropos quote: "you spent so much time wondering if you could, you never stopped to ask if you should."

    there are some things we should not do. it really doesnt matter how a thing was intended. Einstein sure didnt enjoy the bomb. it matters how it is used, and we already know the answer in this case.
    this word you use . . . i do not think it means what you think it means.


  6. #6
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs USA
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizinator View Post
    totally, this is exactly why so many of is are so vociferously opposed to Gearscore or its equivalent. see, in my country, we do NOT have any especial constitutional right to carry or own firearms. and not surprisingly, there is vastly less gun violence up here. turns out, the same is true for almost all of europe - those parts which havent been bombed into the middle ages. so i say that it doesnt matter if gearscore and damage meters have their uses. they tend to be abused more often, and the consequences of that, nobody wants.
    MMMMmmm...What is wrong with you..this is a gaming forum no politics plzzz

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graevin View Post
    While I completely agree that those situations were wildly rampant for WoW, it really stuck only to PuGs (pick up groups/randomplayers).
    You understand the huge % of gamers that go without competent guilds?

    Not to mention, before I stopped being -as- hardcore a gamer, I tried to get into multiple guilds, and regardless of skill/the fact that I had been playing my priest since Vanilla WoW release day, I was asked for achievement links.

    Gtfoutta here with that.

  8. #8
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killermandude View Post
    This is as much a discussion thread as it is a "did you know what the morons playing WoW have been up to?"

    This is by no means new, but it definitely wasn't around when WoW vanilla came out.

    If you want to join ANY group where the leader is an elitist, you must first send them the "Achievement" link you unlocked by defeating whatever boss they are going to fight.
    I have underlined the error.

    I never once had to link an achievement, or have a particular gearscore, to get into raids, whether it was Ulduar or ICC25. Why? Because I didn't try to get into raids run by incompetent elitists.

  9. #9
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killermandude View Post
    You understand the huge % of gamers that go without competent guilds?
    I had a guild that was small and mostly inactive. So what? I made friends and went with them.

    Not to mention, before I stopped being -as- hardcore a gamer, I tried to get into multiple guilds, and regardless of skill/the fact that I had been playing my priest since Vanilla WoW release day, I was asked for achievement links.
    Then you tried to get into crappy guilds.

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I had a guild that was small and mostly inactive. So what? I made friends and went with them.



    Then you tried to get into crappy guilds.
    How would you make friends to do 10 man raids with, if you never got into 10 man raids?
    Not to mention cross server dungeons/Bg's totally eliminate 99% of the friends I made. (I heal, I make tons of friends, doesn't mean I get to take them back to my server).

    Nice making an ASSumer out of yourself though mate.

  11. #11
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    376

    Default

    No, you just suck at socializing.

  12. #12
    RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killermandude View Post
    How would you make friends to do 10 man raids with, if you never got into 10 man raids?
    1. Run RP addon.
    2. Compliment people on their backgrounds (but only if you like them).
    3. Read the forums. Find out about other forums from them.
    4. Find out about public global channels you can join.
    5. If you see people from your server in random groups, talk to them.

    Not to mention cross server dungeons/Bg's totally eliminate 99% of the friends I made. (I heal, I make tons of friends, doesn't mean I get to take them back to my server).

    Nice making an ASSumer out of yourself though mate.
    You know what you do when you ASSUME, don't you? You make a reasonable inference based on past observations. I said you tried to get into crappy guilds because you described the guilds you tried to get into asked for achievement lists. No good guilds I encountered did that. That would be stupid; good guilds know that player skill is not shown by the achievement interface.

    Look. I have a hard time with socializing. Like, I'm bad enough at it that it's legally a disability. I found it pretty practical to meet enough people that I could find groups. When I got a tank to 80, I just started queueing for dungeons, talking up people from my server, and making friends. Pretty soon I was getting invited to raids with the guildies of people I'd met. No problem. It never even seriously occurred to me to try to get into pugs advertised in trade, why would I do a silly thing like that?

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts