+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: RIFT vs SW:ToR vs TERA vs GW2

Default RIFT vs SW:ToR vs TERA vs GW2

So basically after browsing many forums I've gotten the impression that the 2011 market will be divided amongst tow mmos RIFT and SW:ToR. TERA just seems like it's going to be almost just like Anion then GW2 I don't think it's going to receive as many purchases as GW1.

Just from the looks of it SW:ToR seems like that it's going for single player, instanced, story based game play then not to mention that I feel that it's mainly being marketed to young kids. I mean it just looks very bland as an mmo over all, but don't get me wrong it looks like a good single player game just not a mmo.

Then RIFT you know enough about that.

I think that SW:ToR initial purchases will out number RIFT initial purchases by about 5:1 but with in a year of the launch date for each title I predict that RIFT will have the more subs by a small amount.

But anyways I'm interested in what you guys think about RIFT vs SW:ToR vs TERA vs GW2?

PyroLock Proud Supporter of a DPS Meter
    CPU: i7-950 @ 3.7 GHz GPU: GTX 470 SOC 770 MHz MB: Asus Rampage III Formula RAM: 6 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 DRIVE:OCZ RevoDrive 120 GB (0.5 GB/sec read rate)

RIFT is what i am going to play.

I shall not play TERA or SWTor.

I belive that RIFT has a good change to be good but there is always two side of one coin.

I agree SW:ToR will have a lot of sales just because everyone and there grandma knows the name Star Wars..you put that name on anything and its going to sell....lol

Champion of Telara

I'm really looking forward to both Rift and SW:ToR. I also hope they both end up being amazing games and playing both of them for a long time heh.

Even if TOR ends up being a mostly single player game I'll still probably play 1 class to max level at least just because I love Bioware, I love Knights of the Old Republic. I also love Biowares stories.

I am hoping Rift does actually have an MMORPG feel to it where there is actually a community unlike WoW. So far from what I can see it looks like the forum goers at least have one and are willing to help one another even if there's no obvious reward for them being nice. The community seems like it's long gone with MMO's now and people just do things only if it benefits them (obviously there are minor situations where people will help others, but not really enough to consider a community).

The other 2, haven't looked in to them and probably won't.
    Last edited by Eevilways; 11-25-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Destroyer View Post
    So basically after browsing many forums I've gotten the impression that the 2011 market will be divided amongst tow mmos RIFT and SW:ToR. TERA just seems like it's going to be almost just like Anion then GW2 I don't think it's going to receive as many purchases as GW1.

Just from the looks of it SW:ToR seems like that it's going for single player, instanced, story based game play then not to mention that I feel that it's mainly being marketed to young kids. I mean it just looks very bland as an mmo over all, but don't get me wrong it looks like a good single player game just not a mmo. BUT its going to have a ton of sales, just cause BioWare is developing it, and it has Star Wars in the title.

Then RIFT you know enough about that.

I think that SW:ToR initial purchases will out number RIFT initial purchases by about 5:1 but with in a year of the launch date for each title I predict that RIFT will have the more subs by a small amount.

But anyways I'm interested in what you guys think about RIFT vs SW:ToR vs TERA vs GW2?
    Meh, i must disagree with you on some parts.

I think Rift and GW2 are going to be the top two MMOs of 2011.

TERA will be another asian grinder, just like Aion, and SW:ToR looks too cartoonish, it wont appeal to the MMO crowd IMO, everything just looks unpolished etc... (my opinion)

Rift looks very polished ,but there isnt much hype (and as discussed before) is most likely a good thing

GW2 also looks very good, i think its going to be a lot of our back up plans on this forum, BUT, because there is no subscription fee, a lot of 12 year olds will play it. Im pretty sure they're going to sell more copies than GW1 because of all the hype.
    Last edited by iAmDeathSpank; 11-25-2010 at 08:58 AM.

SW and Tera are no threat to Rift, but GW2 on the other hand.... as far as I can see that will be the one that Trion need to fear.

Just way too similar to the casual buyer, though GW2 obviously has the hype and mass appeal right now.

I will be buying Rift, been following it too long not too now, but GW2's scaling content to the number of group members (which I have to say I am a massive fan of) and approach to PvP is very attractive, as well as it's gfx and general vibe.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by iAmDeathSpank;191488SW:
    ToR looks too cartoonish, it wont appeal to the MMO crowd IMO
    Not that I like to include them in the MMO crowd in any discussion, but WoW went with the cartoonish look and pretty sure it has some appeal to a few people at least.
    Last edited by Eevilways; 11-25-2010 at 09:30 AM.

GW2 kind of seems too good to be true.. its like a WoW with better graphics, and features, but free... (dont start on the difficulty of the game, please, we havnt seen much endgame from GW2)

Quote Originally Posted by Eevilways View Post
    Not that I like to include them in the MMO crowd in any discussion, but WoW went with the cartoonish look and pretty sure it has some appeal to a few people at least.
    I understand your point, but the Warcraft franchise has ALWAYS been cartoony... were talking about Star Wars... Star Wars sure aint cartoony.

Shadowlander

My most anticipated list:

1-Rift/SWTOR

2-Guild Wars 2

Tera? No thanks i'd rather play Penguin Club Online.
    Last edited by Isoos; 11-25-2010 at 09:04 AM.

I refuse to play any Star Wars MMO I'm not a big fan of the movies so why should I care about the games? TERA will just be another asian grinder with a failure of a non-target combat system.

Rift is my primary hope and joy but I am also giving GW2 a look as well.

Sig by Zacro! Get one! Zacro's Request Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Elethor View Post
    I refuse to play any Star Wars MMO I'm not a big fan of the movies so why should I care about the games? TERA will just be another asian grinder with a failure of a non-target combat system.

Rift is my primary hope and joy but I am also giving GW2 a look as well.
    Its funny, even GameInformer (mostly console games, so they should be called ConsoleInformer) had a Rift vs GW2 article...

RIFT and GW2 are the future of MMOs!
    Last edited by iAmDeathSpank; 11-25-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Yeah, I don't know if I said this or not but I'm looking forward to RIFT and that's almost it I think. If SW:ToR was more of an mmo then I might (big might) try it. GW2 just looks ehhhh not really that interested in it. Then TERA is just a no.

PyroLock Proud Supporter of a DPS Meter
    CPU: i7-950 @ 3.7 GHz GPU: GTX 470 SOC 770 MHz MB: Asus Rampage III Formula RAM: 6 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 DRIVE:OCZ RevoDrive 120 GB (0.5 GB/sec read rate)

Imo Rift looks far better than any of those three, but I can't ofc decide what other people think and what they like.
    Keep in mind that Rift is a brand new game, there's been tons of star wars game before this one, so ofcourse its more hyped and got more members.
    I mean WoW wouldn't have been as big if it weren't for the previous Warcraft games Blizzard had launched, where they picked up lots and lots of fans, especially in WC3.
    Last edited by Martie; 11-25-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iAmDeathSpank View Post
    Its funny, even GameInformer (mostly console games, so they should be called ConsoleInformer) had a Rift vs GW2 article...

RIFT and GW2 are the future of MMOs!
    lol I never played the first GW so I don't know anything about GW2 really. I know that NCsoft is helping to produce it or publish it or something (/shudder) but it has some nice aspects to it. One of the things that really interest me is the positional combat system. For example an elementalist lays down a wall of fire, an archer shoots arrows through it which then catch on fire and do more damage. Sounds cool.

Sig by Zacro! Get one! Zacro's Request Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast