+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do you get from a guild?

Default What do you get from a guild?

I am unaware as to if there has been another thread about this somewhere in the catacombs of the forums (I did look but saw nothing blatantly similar), so my apologies in advance if this is a daughter-thread.

So, really... What I am curious about is this (whichever is most applicable):
    • Why did you join the guild you join?
    • Why do you lead the guild in the direction/orientation you do?
    • What do you look for in a guild?

As for me, as an example, I look for guilds that are friendly and mature, yet close-knit, almost like a family. The guild doesn't have to progress far for me to love being in it (and if the guild does progress, whoopdie do - it's just an extra bonus, in my eyes). I am much more interested in the people of the guild and if they manage to interest me and appear to be decent, caring, understanding, and above all accepting people (in other words, not ******bags), I will love that guild. I am highly loyal and view these guilds as a second family, in a way.

A more graphical representation of what I take from the guilds I am in/look for, and the games I play in general, is this:

(PS: Yes, I know it's a WoW machinima movie, and it has typos. Get over it and look at the message it's giving.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gTAc1O0LLw

Basically, I just aim to make friends and have good, relaxing memories Steamrolling people with a well-coordinated group is only a small part of that

So I ask you, random folks that read the Off Topics Forums... what does your guild choice mean for you?
    Last edited by Kintega; 11-24-2010 at 03:15 PM.
    Halcyon Legion: now offering candy and rainbows! Also, I love writing poetry Ask!
    "When we built these dreams on sand... How they all slipped through our hands; And this might be our only chance! Let's take this one day at a time - I'll hold your hand if you hold mine... The time that we kill keeps us alive." Rise Against - Rumors of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

Shadowlander

Before I get the best PvE gear or/and hit max level guild means nothing but a tool to achieve my goal.When I start doing PvP,I simply join or make a small guild with people that I like to play with in it.Other types of guilds are annoying.

That machinima was stupid too.
    Last edited by Isoos; 11-24-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isoos View Post
    Before I get the best PvE gear or/and hit max level guild means nothing but a tool to achieve my goal.When I start doing PvP,I simply join or make a small guild with people that I like to play with in it.Other types of guilds are annoying.

That machinima was stupid too.
    @ what I made red: Oh you and your selfish, narrow view.

I mean no offense by this, but people who treat the guilds they're in similarly to you are those who I tend to steer away from I prefer people who are personable and care for others, rather than selfish narcissists. Again, merely my opinion. I've known many people who've used guilds simply to get gear, then leave. They were often infamous on my servers, heh.
    Last edited by Kintega; 11-24-2010 at 03:52 PM.
    Halcyon Legion: now offering candy and rainbows! Also, I love writing poetry Ask!
    "When we built these dreams on sand... How they all slipped through our hands; And this might be our only chance! Let's take this one day at a time - I'll hold your hand if you hold mine... The time that we kill keeps us alive." Rise Against - Rumors of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

Shadowlander

I don't know how anyone would stand so many people at once,you can't love everyone.Especially if you are in a big guild,it's messy.Oh and most guilds tend to have this "I AM OFFICAR DO WHAT I SAY OR I KICK YOU I R SERIOUS BUSINESS".I am not selfish I gave out VIP keys to random people,I gave all my money to random people after quitting MMO's,but I just can't stand big guilds.Playing with people of your mind is the best way to go,until that you have to be patient and milk out your guild and act kawaii ^_^.
    Last edited by Isoos; 11-24-2010 at 06:07 PM.

I love to play with nice people but the problem I find is the kinda people I would like IRL suck at PVP/PVE. In the end I play with people that are good players PVE/PVP. I just can't have fun getting owned every time I log in, or never gettin past 1 raid boss, even if the people are great people.
    White, Straight, christian, Male. How else can I piss you off today?

Rift Chaser

I tend to go solo until I find people I enjoy playing with and then I will join that guild. Large guilds are just like real life jobs. You might not like everyone in it, but you have your clique that you hang around, and everyone is working toward a common goal. I prefer smaller type guilds though, but can function perfectly fine in the large guild setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Isoos View Post
    I don't know how anyone would stand so many people at once,you can't love everyone.Especially if you are in a big guild,it's messy.Oh and most guilds tend to have this "I AM OFFICAR DO WHAT I SAY OR I KICK YOU I R SERIOUS BUSINESS".I am not selfish I gave out VIP keys to random people,I gave all my money to random people after quitting MMO's,but I just can't stand big guilds.Playing with people of your mind is the best way to go,until that you have be patient and milk out your guild and act kawaii ^_^.
    Agreed entirely. I guess to clarify, I like MOST of the guilds I've been in... there are always the village idiots, no matter where you go.. I've never been in big guilds, thank the stars, for that very reason. I don't mind respecting someone's seniority, but if they use it as a bargaining chip or some sort of icon of power, that's when they achieve my ****list. Playing with people of the same mind is always, always awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Xandor View Post
    I love to play with nice people but the problem I find is the kinda people I would like IRL suck at PVP/PVE. In the end I play with people that are good players PVE/PVP. I just can't have fun getting owned every time I log in, or never gettin past 1 raid boss, even if the people are great people.
    Mmm, I may have been lucky for the most part then. I had a few friends who were not so skilled as the others, but managed to do their job nevertheless, but for the most part I have been lucky with the friends I've made in the guilds I've been in - both nice folks and competent.

Quote Originally Posted by arcaid View Post
    I tend to go solo until I find people I enjoy playing with and then I will join that guild. Large guilds are just like real life jobs. You might not like everyone in it, but you have your clique that you hang around, and everyone is working toward a common goal. I prefer smaller type guilds though, but can function perfectly fine in the large guild setting.
    i feel you, there. Like I said in response to the psot by Isoos, big guilds are... a pain. I like the close-knit stuff much more; you don't feel expendable, despite what skill you may or may not have. I normally go solo as well, and by sheer luck befriend someone that's in a guild that would welcome me in, but for RIFT, for the first time, I will be going in with a guild already chosen. This should prove an interesting experience, despite my liking what I see from them all thus far.
    Last edited by Kintega; 11-24-2010 at 04:15 PM.

Usually go for the social guilds where I can talk about anythin. Decent ones aren't that common though, usually have to drift between guilds until I find a decent one.

Basically as long as I can have a chat and do some dungeons with them I'm fine However, I have been in raiding guilds before, though internal problems tend to see them break up after so long... plus they're hard work... not for me rly

I tend to join guilds that strive to be the best, but aren't jerks about it. I'm a terminally nice person, but I'm also a perfectionist so its a case of being around like minded (or close enough) people =)

Some of the wording in that vid made me laugh. YOU GET TO FEEL PEOPLE. Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadar View Post
    Some of the wording in that vid made me laugh. YOU GET TO FEEL PEOPLE. Classic.
    *creepily rubs against one-too-many times

What do you get from a guild?
    DRAMA

Our guild has been together since SWG, and so everyone is laid back, and knows everything about everyone.
    Some of the gals still yak in private, but then thats what we do.

We have joined some raiding guilds in WoW, only to find the drama queens run wild
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9949&dateline=1285304  790

Generally, I look for a smaller guild who are laid back and wants to just have fun, enjoy the game and not make a mad-dash to lvl cap.

I seem to find that the larger guilds tend to eventually form little cliques and undoubtedly always have one or two drama-queens to stir the pot.
    "Better change the Captain of your brain-ship because he's drunk at the wheel."

~ Dr Perry Cox, SCRUBS

+ Reply to Thread