Lightbulb Valedictorian Speaks Out Against Schooling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M4tdMsg3ts

What do you think about this?

Telaran

In no particular order she refers to:

1) Greedy corporations
    2) Secretive government
    3) Incompetent system (of education)

Seems like the teachers at her school have indoctrinated her perfectly to go become an even worse teacher to ruin the next generation of students. It reminded me so much of the "everyone should get a trophy" philosophy of modern schooling as opposed to the meritocracy of yesteryear. Then, in closing, she suggests that everyone should be valedictorian, sealing the deal. No thank you - I prefer old school (literally and figuratively).

Sursum ad summum.

<climbs down off soapbox>

Quote Originally Posted by Akua View Post
    In no particular order she refers to:

1) Greedy corporations
    2) Secretive government
    3) Incompetent system (of education)

Seems like the teachers at her school have indoctrinated her perfectly to go become an even worse teacher to ruin the next generation of students. It reminded me so much of the "everyone should get a trophy" philosophy of modern schooling as opposed to the meritocracy of yesteryear. Then, in closing, she suggests that everyone should be valedictorian, sealing the deal. No thank you - I prefer old school (literally and figuratively).

Sursum ad summum.

<climbs down off soapbox>
    Yet there are corporations that move perpetually toward profit as the sole motivator.
    And there are secretive government agencies that perform highly 'illegal' acts at behest of the governmental authority.
    And there is a high degree of incompetence in the educational system, in particular with standardized tests.

Which old school? The 50s old school, the private school system of pre 30s, the first American system of strict rules, public punishments?

The FAIL is systemic to the US society - not specificly education.

We fail at Education, for many reasons including:
    • Profits > Quality
    • Self > Community
    • Justification > Action
    • Cater to least common denominator
    • Specialization > sum of all parts

All of these systemic issues effect Eduction to make the US continually the bottom of the Industrialized world.

http://www.geographic.org/country_ra...2009_oecd.html

---

Edit: For last Generation or so*
    Last edited by Kome; 11-24-2010 at 03:58 AM.

Up until about 6 minutes in I was agreeing with her every word... I thought one of the very first lines was class - "looking at the goal with one eye and looking at the path with the other". After 6 minutes it then turned into a bit of a conspiracy theory... she could be right though... hmm.
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...uPoVJauQl2Sylg
    Last edited by Zodion; 11-24-2010 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodion View Post
    Up until about 6 minutes in I was agreeing with her every word... I thought one of the very first lines was class - "looking at the goal with one eye and looking at the path with the other". After 6 minutes it then turned into a bit of a conspiracy theory... she could be right though... hmm.
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...uPoVJauQl2Sylg
    Freemasons do network amongst themselves even at the elite level - its not diabolical, but it is possibly a bit of a cancer to our, you know, systems of law, economics, and governance. It's subversive imo, and is part of the whole partial-esoteric 'good old boys' club still going on both in American, and global political systems.

(based on three family members who are Freemasons - my 94 year old grandfather, my cousins husband, and some more obscure relative)
    Last edited by Maeloda; 11-24-2010 at 06:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread