+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Silly Seattleite's Sliding

Default Silly Seattleite's Sliding

I love Seattle, but when it snows, this is why I stay home, not because I cannot drive in the snow myself, but because I want to be nowhere near these people. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZCy...layer_embedded

[EDIT: It has been brought to my attention that because I have not given credit to the person who recorded this, some think I took the video. I am just reposting it here from YouTube. I do not even know the person who recorded this. Sorry for the confusion. You may click the video to go to the poster's channel if you wish. Thanks!]
    Last edited by Sinistrad; 11-23-2010 at 01:11 PM.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die."
    --H.P. Lovecraft

I will say a few things living in NYC.

I was shocked that the bus did not have chains wrapped around its tires. That is something that is done here to NYC buses when a major snow storm occurs. Also when there is a chance of freezing rain or black ice occurrences.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c.../TireChain.jpg

Videos & situations like this helped convince my GF to allow me to by an AWD car. Currently, a 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX. Had a FWD car prior & I know how it is to be sliding & have no control. Slammed into a park car but luckily, the damage was minor.

Funny vid though. Hell of a view you have.I know that bus driver must of had a really bad night after that happened.

EDIT: I looked at the vid again & the bus did appear to have chains on its tires so I take my first statement back. Just had them on the rear tires though.

-LatinLegacy
    Last edited by LatinLegacy; 11-23-2010 at 04:31 AM.

The video was not taken by me. Sorry, I should have specified. It is someone I do not know who lives very close to the area I lived in recently. I actually used to take that hill nearly every day. What makes it so funny to anyone from Seattle is that it is EXTREMELY easy to avoid this hill. It is small and you can go around it, taking much gentler slopes. These people either don't know their way, or couldn't spare 5 minutes to find another route.

[EDIT: Yes, that bus should have had chains. I don't know what King County Metro policy is, whether it is the driver's or supervisor's responsibility to make the call on chains, but someone made a bad call and someone is going to get in trouble over that mess, for sure! Someone could have been hurt.]
    Last edited by Sinistrad; 11-23-2010 at 04:39 AM.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die."
    --H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by LatinLegacy View Post
    I will say a few things living in NYC.

I was shocked that the bus did not have chains wrapped around its tires. That is something that is done here to NYC buses when a major snow storm occurs. Also when there is a chance of freezing rain or black ice occurrences.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c.../TireChain.jpg

Videos & situations like this helped convince my GF to allow me to by an AWD car. Currently, a 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX. Had a FWD car prior & I know how it is to be sliding & have no control. Slammed into a park car but luckily, the damage was minor.

Funny vid though. Hell of a view you have.I know that bus driver must of had a really bad night after that happened.

EDIT: I looked at the vid again & the bus did appear to have chains on its tires so I take my first statement back. Just had them on the rear tires though.

-LatinLegacy
    LOL. Oh, the confusing edits! I'm just going to make a new post.

Yeah, chains don't do much good if the wheels aren't spinning. That hill should have probably been closed to buses and rerouted. Heck, that hill should have been closed to all traffic.

--H.P. Lovecraft

Was it just me who hoped that the firetruck in the end would start sliding aswell?
    Another funny thing is how that parked car on the other side of the road manage to stay out of trouble.
    Good thing it was all going so slowly, so nothing serious happend.

Btw, this is outside your house? It's like this every year?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistrad View Post
    The video was not taken by me. Sorry, I should have specified. It is someone I do not know who lives very close to the area I lived in recently. I actually used to take that hill nearly every day. What makes it so funny to anyone from Seattle is that it is EXTREMELY easy to avoid this hill. It is small and you can go around it, taking much gentler slopes. These people either don't know their way, or couldn't spare 5 minutes to find another route.

[EDIT: Yes, that bus should have had chains. I don't know what King County Metro policy is, whether it is the driver's or supervisor's responsibility to make the call on chains, but someone made a bad call and someone is going to get in trouble over that mess, for sure! Someone could have been hurt.]
    Oh my god I know right?! It's like the snow causes brain warping or something over here lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    Was it just me who hoped that the firetruck in the end would start sliding aswell?
    Another funny thing is how that parked car on the other side of the road manage to stay out of trouble.

You've obviously never been to Washington in the winter. @_@

Yeah....that happens every time it snows in Portland too. (Oregon - where I'm from originally) I remember a few years ago, there was a car that basically ping-ponged off of every parked car on the street. It was kind of funny to watch, in a sad way =x

Its all the Californicators who moved up here, who have no idea what foul weather is about
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9949&dateline=1285304  790

Lmao. Half true....well it might be completely true for Seattle. In Portland, I swear no one can drive in snow at all. (Not me either - I don't even try tbh)

My Subaru (all wheel drive) got me through the 10 miles from north of Seattle to the Eastside this morning in packed snow and ice, but I still wouldn't dare drive in downtown Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by AMEI View Post
    Its all the Californicators who moved up here, who have no idea what foul weather is about
    I am with you on that one.
    Last edited by Helspyre; 11-23-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    The Black Company
    Of. By. For.

Oh god, I used to live in NW Washington. If it snowed 2 inches, everyone called into work except like, 5 people. I was always astonished that those 5 people were generally the ones that lived at the tops of large hills, far out of town, ect.

I lived in a small town, but snow is like the apocalypse up there. People freak out and stock up on food like they won't see the grocery store for a week if the word "Snow" is even uttered.

Quote Originally Posted by AMEI View Post

Why does that make so much sense.

Silly americans, is every american this bad at driving?

Us canadians are used to this kind of driving conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post

Not my house, no. The video was not taken by me, I am only sharing. I have lived in that vicinity (within a few blocks), and been on that very hill walking or driving on countless occasions. It is like this every year it snows in Seattle AND the temperature stays in the 20's (i.e. when the roads REALLY ice up).

I'll go edit my original post so people don't think I am plagiarizing! Sorry about that.

--H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Lmao. Half true....well it might be completely true for Seattle. In Portland, I swear no one can drive in snow at all. (Not me either - I don't even try tbh)
    I've seen some excellent Portland snow-bumper-cars videos as well. ^^

--H.P. Lovecraft

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast