+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: You play games lol, grow up.

Default You play games lol, grow up.

No this isn't a troll post I just wanted to share a common misplaced perception.

I am 38 and have played mmo's for ages, if I remark on gaming in any social circuits I am immediately perceived as immature, I teach so this also puts me under the perception that I'm a boring old fart. Although I teach lead guitar which others perceive as cool.

Pidgin holing really pisses me off, yes I prefer to spend my time playing games which when well done are an incredible work of art.

Maybe I should watch 22 overpaid morons kicking a ball around or going out at the weekend to chase scags and vomit until my neck hurts to be more socially accepted. Ok maybe I'm pidgeon holing now but you get where I'm coming from.

I'd much rather spend my free time going through a dungeon and pitting my wits against others in pvp but that's just me, why does it make me immature?
    Last edited by Skyrazor; 02-10-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrazor View Post
    played mom's

Edit: Got to it before you did MUAHAHAHAHAA
    Last edited by dazanan; 02-10-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Plane Touched

You're asking a gaming forum why playing games makes you immature?

Not sure you'll find the answer here... but let me help you find it..

the answer is it doesn't... your actions/conscience do.

My Professor at college plays CS and he has pure gray hair now.

Soulwalker

Something a friend of mine once said to their father, "Would you rather me sit in front of a t.v. with a drooling vacant expression, or would you rather me be actively thinking and interacting with something?"

Sounds like the problem is all on your side bro. I never hear those comments nor would I be offended.

lol yea not sure this is the right forums to post this if you trying to change ppl mind about gamers !!!
    We all gamers our self if we reading this atm !!! lol

lol
    Last edited by Gutsy; 02-10-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixlord View Post
    You're asking a gaming forum why playing games makes you immature?

Not sure you'll find the answer here... but let me help you find it..

the answer is it doesn't... your actions/conscience do.
    I second this.

Fenixlord, we can agree on something. (gearscore thread)

Djevik

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Heh.

I am immature in some ways. You know how little kids are utterly, totally, focused on whatever they're doing most of the time, because the entire world is always new to them? My brain's welded to that state most of the time. I do happy dances in the kitchen because I just remembered how much I love toast, and hey, I own a toaster. I loooove video games. I spent $waytoomany on a high-quality LCD display (S-IPS instead of TFT) because bright colors make me happy.

And you know what? If people have a problem with this, that is okay by me, because they have a problem. I don't.

Oddly, when I was a kid, people gave me a lot of crap about not being grown up enough. Now that I'm nearly 40 and even sorta Internet-famous in my fields, though, people just think it's awesome that I have such a healthy attitude.

Sounds like you need a better social circle, meaning one that won't make you feel belittled for doing what you enjoy.

Obviously, they are not "hip" or "interested" in what you do, and that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by murakume View Post
    Something a friend of mine once said to their father, "Would you rather me sit in front of a t.v. with a drooling vacant expression, or would you rather me be actively thinking and interacting with something?"
    QFT! +1 to whoever this guy is!

Quote Originally Posted by murakume View Post
    Slash... agree. I always said that as a teen to people myself.
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 02-10-2011 at 10:45 PM.
    Rig: 256gb SSD, i7 2600K quad-core (w/ HT, 4400mhz), GTX 670 Gigabyte OC WindForce @ 1354core/6510mem, 2560x1600 (Dell 3007wfp-hc S-IPS LCD monitor 30"), 16GB DDR3.
    Double the pixels of a 1920x1200 monitor = yummy graphics! I do love my eye candy...
    GSB, RoS conqueror, DH, GP cleared, 10/11 HK + P3 Akylios pre-nerf, Mage of Wolfsbane

How you act is what sets your maturity.

Not video games.
    No, I don't know what a shrimp is and no, we do not always eat out side.

Kor
    Telaran

Us gamers, we're getting older.

We're your boss now.
    We're the bank manager and the CEO.
    We're the doctor and the coach of that sports team.

Great gamer moment happened to me when I was banking and left my car keys on the counter at the bank. I came back in to ask if anyone had seen them and the bank manager (45ish stiff looking suit guy) came up to me and handed me my keys. "Fallout kicks *** eh?". He'd seen my vault boy keyring.

I employ about 50 people and the younger guys love that they can try to kick my *** in some online game.
    There is no griefing on a pvp server.

I'm the same exact age as you, but I never experienced this stigma. But then again, I work in a related field, so most the people I interact with (both socially and professionally) are gamers, game makers or people who write about games, so it's pretty normal. Plenty of my friends and colleagues are currently excited about Rift like kids before Christmas Day.

I think the stigma probably comes from the fact that we're the first generation that really grew up with video games, even though it was still rare to own a computer or a video console when we were in our teens. When I was 12 and got my first computer in 1984, I was one of three people in my class at school that owned a computer. Two others also had a video console. And that's out of 30'ish kids. Plenty of them spent their afternoons at my house, but for them it wasn't necessarily "normal" to play games. For us, sure, we had the hardware and the games! So, it's pretty standard for us to be around games, even 30 years later.

It's not really different from sports fans, though. They got into it in their kid or teen years, and today they're still cheering for their team and get all excited about upcoming matches and championships. Just like us with games.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast