+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Use Skype. Vent Sucks.

Soulwalker

Actually, I refuse to use Skype because they still don't have a PTT feature. I've no interest in the background noise going on with anyone I'm talking to.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by dinhosaur View Post
    If it doesn't have push to talk it will always be newb for hardcore gamers.
    There are two options.

1. In Skype you can set a hotkey for muting the microphone. It's not quite PTT, but you can basically unmute when you want to talk then mute again when you don't. So it'd be "tap, talk, tap" each time you wanted to speak.

2. There is a third party program millions of people use called SkypePTT that does, as you might have guessed, add PTT functionality to the software.

So yeah, it does exist.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
    There are two options.

1. In Skype you can set a hotkey for muting the microphone. It's not quite PTT, but you can basically unmute when you want to talk then mute again when you don't. So it'd be "tap, talk, tap" each time you wanted to speak.

2. There is a third party program millions of people use called SkypePTT that does, as you might have guessed, add PTT functionality to the software.

So yeah, it does exist.
    But vent has it built in and skype offers no real significant advantage over vent?
    True skill comes without effort

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minttunator View Post
    Use Mumble, Skype sucks?
    this
    /10chars

Teamspeak 3 is great as well. Lots of functionality.

Back in the day I helped test a program galled Gamecomm (which I believe is under redisgn atm) which was amazing. The quality was fantastic, but I think the design team had a falling out.

I prefer TS3 though over vent anyday.

Default Skype is free and vent is not

Quote Originally Posted by dinhosaur View Post
    ...skype offers no real significant advantage over vent?
    Skype is free and vent is a monthly paid service for the server.
    Many more people have Skype compared to Vent.
    Can run Skype on my iphone.

I think Skype will only encourage the insecure and immature to flame anyone they saw, and it could get pretty ugly. I also think it is a bad idea for females to use in a world of raging hormones. Not a good idea for under age children to use due to the number of sex predators just hoping to spot a real child online.

I would not encourage mandatory Skype usage. Many people prefer to stay anonymous or not be stared at, gawked at, harrassed, flirted with or stalked.

Vent is enough.

Skype can be something on the side for those willing to use it. Not forced to.

Edit: Wait... Skype IS the video chat thing, isn't it? That's my reasoning above, if I'm wrong and it's something different, my bad.
    Last edited by Balaalyu; 02-11-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    "I'm not afraid of death. It's the stake one puts up in order to play the game of life."

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Balaalyu View Post
    I think Skype will only encourage the insecure and immature to flame anyone they saw, and it could get pretty ugly. I also think it is a bad idea for females to use in a world of raging hormones. Not a good idea for under age children to use due to the number of sex predators just hoping to spot a real child online.

I would not encourage mandatory Skype usage. Many people prefer to stay anonymous or not be stared at, gawked at, harrassed, flirted with or stalked.

Vent is enough.

Edit: Wait... Skype IS the video chat thing, isn't it? That's my reasoning above, if I'm wrong and it's something different, my bad.
    You can choose to use just Voice or you can Video Conference. And just because one person turns on their cam it doesn't also force you to. So if one of your friends is an attention ***** and wants everyone to see them, you can remain anonymous.

Me and my gaming buddies use it, I dig it.

Skype is the **** for actual conversations.

However, I'd be pissed if I had to do the admin work I do for vent for Skype. Don't even know if that would be possible.

Random skype calls are always interesting, though. Met and talked to a lot of cool people from a lot of places because of Skype.
    Last edited by kuronese; 02-11-2011 at 11:28 AM.

On MMO break until someone decides to put out a game developed for PvP.
    On Deck:
    Jon Connor - Love Me Now
    Dir en grey - Hageshisa to kono mune no naka de karamitsuita shakunetsu no yami

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
    That was posted 2006.

C'mon guys. If you're going to tell me I'm wrong avoid the following:

Posting articles from 5 years ago (versions, versions, versions).
    Referring me / us to a website with a domain name like ventrocks.com or ventriloisbetter.com

It's not going to hurt me if you don't use Skype. I don't have stock in the company.

Regardless, I'd bet a hundred bucks people ripping on Skype use vent and have never actually tried Skype, they're just scouring the internet looking for reasons not to switch despite my claims. You know how the internet works, right? If you type in "Rift sucks" you're going to find all sorts of facts to back up the statement. If you type in "Rift rules" you'll find the other side of the argument.

I'm trying to help.

And as far as this:

"It's dumb I like to choose server, click join, pick a channel then be done with it. 3 easy steps."

With Skype, it's one click to join the call / channel and you're in. It's like instant messenger with voice / video conferencing. How is that not better than voice over IP amateur night?

You owe me a hundred bucks. ^^ I'd bet far more internet money that you are full of hot air and bluster. You claim to be able to refute peoples arguements regarding why skype is better than ventrillo. You refute sources because they have ventrillo as the URL. Go ahead and debunk the contents of the source and you can disregard it. Otherwise your just talking out your ...

Shadowlander

if it aint broke dont try to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Balaalyu View Post

Vent is enough.

You can use fake names to register Skype accounts.

Could a Skype conversation handle 40 people at once? I do prefer to use vent for private push to talk binds. Nearly certain you cannot do this with Skype. Yes, you can type out private messages to people or use entirely private chat rooms, but I'd prefer to talk in game during a boss encounter instead of tabbing to type.

Been using Raidcall.com for about 6 months. Its a free vent solution.

I am going to try some of these others as well that are listed here.

I have both, and while I use skype for business, I also like to be able to "clock out" an be left alone from business related stuff, so I use Vent for gaming. I can use my guild's website to interface with vent from my mobile if I need to, and leave a message on the forums should I feel the desire.

Skype has it's purpose, vent has it's own purpose as well, I dont need to see your face when your tanking or healing, so that's not a feature that many gamers will care to take advantage of.

If a member is offline, there's a reason for it, be it they are doing homework, or got called to work. I can guarantee you those of us that use Skype in the adult world of business will get called to work MORE if we make a mass switch to skype as the standard VoIP provider.

In short, quit trying to convince female players to get on a webcam :P

Default Multiple Skype accounts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadinaxx View Post
    I have both, and while I use skype for business, I also like to be able to "clock out" an be left alone from business related stuff, so I use Vent for gaming.
    You realize you can have more than 1 Skype account ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast