+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Use Skype. Vent Sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybernetic View Post
    Ya unfortunately he is in the NL wile I am below the snow!
    NL? Netherlands?

http://myventriloserver.com/blog/ven...server-in-voip

"Ventrilo will require less resource usage, both system and network related, than Skype. This is an especially useful trait in gaming where most users demand minimal application usage to ensure better in-game frame rates. The server can also act as a filter and management system, enabling more expressive user and moderator roles. Servers have the ability to create “Channels,” which act as partitions or virtual chatrooms within the server, allowing users to have conversions with certain subsets of the server population without having to go into a completely different conference room as you would with Skype. Rules can also be defined within the context of a specific channel."

"Skype and Ventrilo are both excellent tools. However, Skype may be more suitable for social groups (family chats, etc.) as it is easy to setup, use and costs nothing. Whereas Ventrilo may be more ideal for gaming and business users who require greater technical efficiency and more management tools at the cost of money and a greater learning curve."

For a very few people Skype is a good choice. For a big group Ventrillo is still king.

Quote Originally Posted by Señor Kalivos View Post
    NL? Netherlands?
    Jup that's the place!

Quote Originally Posted by Cybernetic View Post
    Jup that's the place!
    Where the heck is below the snow?

I really hate having to call everyone and add everyone. Vent is much better and easier. Why go through stupid hassles that I don't need to.
    PVPimpin' Ain't PVEasy!

Holla Holla Get Dolla

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew View Post
    I really hate having to call everyone and add everyone. Vent is much better and easier. Why go through stupid hassles that I don't need to.
    They can add themselves. They can see there is a call in progress and hit "join call." It's one click.

This is exactly what I'm talking about man. People don't like it because they don't know how to use it.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by CericX View Post
    http://myventriloserver.com/blog/ven...server-in-voip

"Ventrilo will require less resource usage, both system and network related, than Skype. This is an especially useful trait in gaming where most users demand minimal application usage to ensure better in-game frame rates. The server can also act as a filter and management system, enabling more expressive user and moderator roles. Servers have the ability to create “Channels,” which act as partitions or virtual chatrooms within the server, allowing users to have conversions with certain subsets of the server population without having to go into a completely different conference room as you would with Skype. Rules can also be defined within the context of a specific channel."

"Skype and Ventrilo are both excellent tools. However, Skype may be more suitable for social groups (family chats, etc.) as it is easy to setup, use and costs nothing. Whereas Ventrilo may be more ideal for gaming and business users who require greater technical efficiency and more management tools at the cost of money and a greater learning curve."

For a very few people Skype is a good choice. For a big group Ventrillo is still king.
    Ok - first of all, that website is called myventriloserver.com and second, so much of that information is just inaccurate. I can easily debate half the claims regarding Skype. But it's cool. Don't use it. I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
    They can add themselves. They can see there is a call in progress and hit "join call." It's one click.

This is exactly what I'm talking about man. People don't like it because they don't know how to use it.
    It's dumb I like to choose server, click join, pick a channel then be done with it. 3 easy steps.
    PVPimpin' Ain't PVEasy!

Holla Holla Get Dolla

Rift Chaser

Here's something to check out, this crap certainly doesn't happen with mumble or vent.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/usefultec...27/438172.aspx

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by DinoSS View Post
    Here's something to check out, this crap certainly doesn't happen with mumble or vent.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/usefultec...27/438172.aspx
    That was posted 2006.

C'mon guys. If you're going to tell me I'm wrong avoid the following:

Posting articles from 5 years ago (versions, versions, versions).
    Referring me / us to a website with a domain name like ventrocks.com or ventriloisbetter.com

It's not going to hurt me if you don't use Skype. I don't have stock in the company.

Regardless, I'd bet a hundred bucks people ripping on Skype use vent and have never actually tried Skype, they're just scouring the internet looking for reasons not to switch despite my claims. You know how the internet works, right? If you type in "Rift sucks" you're going to find all sorts of facts to back up the statement. If you type in "Rift rules" you'll find the other side of the argument.

I'm trying to help.

And as far as this:

"It's dumb I like to choose server, click join, pick a channel then be done with it. 3 easy steps."

With Skype, it's one click to join the call / channel and you're in. It's like instant messenger with voice / video conferencing. How is that not better than voice over IP amateur night?
    Last edited by Homebrew; 02-10-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Skype without a doubt ****s all over Vent. Once I got Skype I hated ever having to use Vent. Don't knock it to you try it.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Minttunator View Post
    Use Mumble, Skype sucks?
    I've been using Mumble for past few months. Out of popular 3 (Vent, TS, Mumble) this one is the best.
    Cyrus guild

Cyrus topic on Rift forums
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...cated-members!

Quote Originally Posted by Word Pervert View Post
    Video chat? I just got over the shyness of voice chat!
    You don't have to do Video chat if you like and what I mostly do when im playing SoD I just use skype's Voice chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridire View Post
    I've been using Mumble for past few months. Out of popular 3 (Vent, TS, Mumble) this one is the best.
    What is mumble? I'm guessing it's another video/chat thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Zolin View Post
    You don't have to do Video chat if you like and what I mostly do when im playing SoD I just use skype's Voice chat.
    Good to know! I would feel like I had to take the pony tail out and change out of the pjs if I had to use the video chat
    I liked Vent, but I won't discount using Skype until I try it. Has it become a popular choice?
    I left WoW (and vent) 2 years ago, so I have no idea what people are using now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast