+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Censorship on the WoW forums... lmfao

Default Censorship on the WoW forums... lmfao

So, this morning before work I was idly browsing the World of Warcraft forums.. something I don't normally do... when I decided to comment on a post that was bashing rift. I essentially just stated that though I enjoyed my time in World of Warcraft, I was most likely leaving the game for newer, better horizons. (I said the exact sentence, if I wasn't leaving for Rift it would be LOTRO...)
    Within five minutes, the thread I commented on was deleted.

Thanks to the fact that I'm save-happy and generally pretty neurotic about losing data, I had copypasta what I had written onto a notepad doc.

So... that irritated me. I made a thread that literally copypasta what I had said in the comment, with an added sentence along the lines of "I don't remember World of Warcraft censoring posts related to Aion, Warhammer, Age of Conan threads."

And was promptly banned from posting on the forums.

Here is the post I put on the forums:

When it comes to rift taking things from wow, it's the same situation and the same argument everyone has said for years. WoW took many many things from EQ (And years and years ago when it was in development, Blizzard actively stated in press releases that they wanted to improve on EQ..), as well as DAOC and Ultima and tons of other MMOs.
    It's a stagnant market, you can only do SO MANY "new and amazing" things... I don't see what's wrong with improving on ideas that already exist.
    Whether it's in another game or not, if you have an inventive idea that you think could be fun for people, why on EARTH would you not want to get that out there? And really, it's not like Blizzard has anything to worry about. I find it in worse taste that Blizzard is censoring freedom of speech on their US forums (removing off topic forum, anyone???) and stopping their players from even acknowledging the "competition" exists.

No, Rift is not the "WoW Killer", but honestly as a player who has been around for- essentially- the whole lifespan of WoW, it's a pretty easy transition for me (At least thus far in beta.)
    It's the fun I had back in Vanilla and BC, along with some new changes and a gorgeous graphics engine and a fun gameplay engine.
    The three specs are a pretty fun way of doing things, and really I don't see what's wrong with people moving on to something new and different, even if it's just for a short while.
    Truth be told, I see myself coming back to WoW in the future, it's just what I tend to gravitate to... but really, if Blizzard is that threatened by a game while it's still in BETA that they will completely censor all posts about, by, and for this game... I think there is a problem with BLIZZARD's sportsmanship here.
    /shrug

Edited to add: Also, I don't remember Blizzard censoring posts for Warhammer, AOC, Aion.. anything. If people wanted to post that they were leaving for another game, forum moderators left them alone for the most part.
    And really, the fact that I am potentially leaving myself open for a ban by posting this is in extremely bad taste.
    If I do get banned for stating that I enjoyed my time in the World of Warcraft, but am broadening my horizons and trying out another game (If not Rift, it was going to be going back to LOTRO...), then really it's probably not worth renewing my subscription later, if the company has become as bad as it's subscribers.

That's an earlier copy of what I had written on my post, I ended up revising it so the "Edit:" was at the top of the thread and it was a bit more linear and made more sense... but no time or patience to do that now.

Kinda sucks that Blizzard ruined their own chances of me ever renewing my subscription again... before this my major problem with World of Warcraft was the community... Now it's with the company itself.

Former Blizzard Fangirl signing out!
    Last edited by Breezy; 02-10-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Color tags didn't work. ): Lol

It's the Banhammer for those whom defy Activision-Blizzard's will!

They just raised their earnings estimates for Q1 2011. They don't want to underperform their projections and take a beating in share price. Of course they're going to limit any kind of suggestion that there are alternatives.

"You mean there are FPS games besides Call of Duty and MMORPGs besides WoW?!"
    Savik of Greybriar
    Guild Leader, TKagi Ro (Level 30)
    3/3 BoS

To be honest, it seems like the margin of profits they would be losing because of Rift would have been lower had they let the community believe it was "Just like Warhammer/AOC/Aion".
    Allowing the portion of the community that hasn't already decided they would like to go to Rift to stop and think, "Oh hey, why is Blizzard actually taking this seriously? Maybe there is something to this!" is most likely more of a bad move than just allowing it to die down.

They're basically giving Rift publicity in the end of it, it would seem.
    Last edited by Breezy; 02-10-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    So, this morning before work I was idly browsing the World of Warcraft forums.. something I don't normally do... when I decided to comment on a post that was bashing rift. I essentially just stated that though I enjoyed my time in World of Warcraft, I was most likely leaving the game for newer, better horizons. (I said the exact sentence, if I wasn't leaving for Rift it would be LOTRO...)
    Within five minutes, the thread I commented on was deleted.

Thanks to the fact that I'm save-happy and generally pretty neurotic about losing data, I had copypasta what I had written onto a notepad doc.

So... that irritated me. I made a thread that literally copypasta what I had said in the comment, with an added sentence along the lines of "I don't remember World of Warcraft censoring posts related to Aion, Warhammer, Age of Conan threads."

And was promptly banned from posting on the forums.

Here is the post I put on the forums:

That's an earlier copy of what I had written on my post, I ended up revising it so the "Edit:" was at the top of the thread and it was a bit more linear and made more sense... but no time or patience to do that now.

Kinda sucks that Blizzard ruined their own chances of me ever renewing my subscription again... before this my major problem with World of Warcraft was the community... Now it's with the company itself.

Former Blizzard Fangirl signing out!

It's there forums they get to make the rules up.... besides you already said you were no longer a customer so there ya go..

Thank you for this breaking news and highly interesting topic of discussion. I had no idea this kind of shenanigans was going on and not a single soul on these forums has made mention of it at all today between 6am and 2pm Pacific Standard Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor Kalivos View Post
    Thank you for this breaking news and highly interesting topic of discussion. I had no idea this kind of shenanigans was going on and not a single soul on these forums has made mention of it at all today between 6am and 2pm Pacific Standard Time.
    Oh, I'm sorry, I had no idea we were not to post something in the off topic forums, I'll do better next time, promise. <3 that kindof falls along the same lines, if you don't have an interest in the post, I have always wondered at the motivation behind responding.. hmm. ;P

Oh, I'm sorry, I had no idea we were not to post something in the off topic forums, I'll do better next time, promise. <3 that kindof falls along the same lines, if you don't have an interest in the post, I have always wondered at the motivation behind responding.. hmm. ;P
    To raise the invisible post count.

And thank you for saying sorry and acknowledging that I was in the right and you were in the wrong. It takes guts to do that.

Plane Touched

His sarcasm wasn't suggesting so much that it's been said already, but that no one cared the first time it was said.

Thanks for announcing your retirement to the Warcraft community, then letting the Rift community know you did it.

Nothing insecure / shallow / trite / sad about that.

Nope.

wow nerds are angry!

--------------CryptonoX--------------

And thank you for saying sorry and acknowledging that I was in the right and you were in the wrong. It takes guts to do that.
    Not as much as posting in thread you consider to be a waste of time.

You have the power to not read posts!

I don't believe people like you posses the ability to not comment on everything under the sun, even when you have to be aware you're being rude and not adding anything decent to the thread. Not everything demands your opinion, and for goodness sake if don't have anything constructive (nice) to say then don't say anything at all. Ya know, keep your hands to yourself. Manners you should have learned in elementary school.

She had a bad experience with another video game company, and felt like sharing it. It *is* what these forums are for, any ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaijra View Post
    Not everything demands your opinion, and for goodness sake if don't have anything constructive (nice) to say then don't say anything at all. Ya know, keep your hands to yourself.
    Hello Pot.

Hello Pot.
    Hello Kettle! How would I go about being polite to someone being as rude as you were? As I said; keep your comments to yourself unless they are warranted. Basic basic manners - and if their is I way I could have explained that to you without being rude myself, then by all means, let me know.

Can we please keep the WoW forum attitudes out of this game? At least 'till launch!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast