Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ok, We Get It

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiria View Post
    **** you...
    oh **** .
    Children of Cybertron ♥~
    -------
    Sex Life
    Tearfall: Cyrodiil Class/Class/Class Level.

Intelligent, yet hilarious. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
    I feel you, but it's not so much about whether they're breaking the rules by posting here or there about a competitor's game. It's more their motive that pisses me off - hence the blood boiling rant. Not to mention the discussions are rarely if ever civilized and articulate. It's more or less fanboys at each other's throats until both of them collapse in a flurry of tears and urine.
    Some people are like windup toys with a life time warranty, sadly =) I'm definitely not condoning the tone or context of the discussions(generous to call them that), I can honestly say I haven't visited the WoW forums since I canceled my account a month or two ago, which was before I even decided to seriously invest some time in rift.

You know that saying - Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by lack of intelligence. Personally I think lack of intelligence is often the source of malice. I'm sure there's an actual psychological term for the mindset involved the situation you referenced, I don't know what it is though :P It's kind of like when people get giddy and excited over things that are just so blatantly wrong, there's a look they get in their face, I can picture it in my head, but it's hard to articulate. That's essentially how I envision the people involved in those "frothing at the mouth" threads that amount to nothing more than inanity. "Blatantly wrong" is obviously a really wide range of things and it's vague and ambiguous of me to put it that way, but I'm not sure how else to state it lol :P

In any event, I do agree with you, and empathize with your plight.
    I wish I had a comprehension gun.

Soulwalker

I agree with all of your OP.

But I 'dislike' ( hate is a bit strong ) not Blizzard, but WoW, although i've only played the two week trial, only played it to prevent the ' you've never played it, so **** ' argument, not because its brought tons of people to the MMOrpg genre, for that I'm grateful, but because months before WoW's release i was an avid CounterStrike:Source gamer, involved in the PurePwnage clan ( recognized by PurePwnage Web episodes ). I was the EU division commander, with at least 10-30 dedicated people in well organized and dedicated squads, who worked well together and as a community was fantastic ( total US/AU/EU member count of 100+, then there was the forum ontop ).

We'd gotten ourselves into a fantastic ladder league and was during our 3rd round doing very well and having a lot of fun...
    Then, the dark days...
    WoW was released..
    Our EU member count dropped to 3. including myself.
    I wasn't only playing CS:S i was on at least 4 MMo's myself and had at least 10 single-player games installed that i cycled between the months..

The league, which must of had 30+ clans, dropped to 5 active clans. none of which could pull 5 people together for a match.
    The ladder toppled. The game decayed. The clan died.

I was sad. (not depressed..) I myself go from MMO to MMO almost at random intervals for between 1 month and a year.
    But we never recovered from WoW's release. And now that i've drifted into another much more established clan that focus' on a much more varied collection of games, whilst keeping the ' Original ' game going ( PlanetSide - SoE's FPSMMO )
    at least i don't have to worry about a MMo coming and stealing the community or the entirety of the games player-base. ( PlanetSide:Next is soon to be released... ) and yes. Here I am, on yet another Beta forum, testing yet another Beta, (waiting for the money to get into my bank so I can pre-order).

Although I'm happy for the amount of people drawn to the MMoRpg genre, the numbers of which now, are spreading between up-and-coming Betas, or migrating onto older already estabished games, is fantastic. You can never go wrong with more players.
    Except.
    When that player-base is so fueled by their gaming history. Because of WoW, almost every new Beta, or older Mmo, is criticized; converted to, and even 'left because its not like' their -only- other Mmo.

I can happily relate to the 'Addiction' of an MMo, Neocron, a Cyberpunk MmoRPG my Reakktor (Wiki) is by far my equivalent to a WoW Addict's gaming habits. Hell, I've lost Years of my life, a girlfriend, my social life and almost my health to that game. But, I love it.
    (Yes, its had some MAJOR flaws, faults and ongoing issues - the communities hate towards that game now, is -identical- to the WoW's hate towards Blizzard)

I recognize Blizzard as a excellent company. And, they have made mistakes. Now, (minus Rift for obvious reasons), name me three 10,000+ player-base MMoRpg companies that haven't made any mistakes, and to this day are still loved by half or more of their player-base. (I got two, after some long thoughts)

To End ( cause if i don't you'll be hearing more about that lost girlfriend)
    I think the WoW 'migrating' players need to learn to accept other games as being different from WoW, accept that, embrace that, and to get over their broken hearts. or at least, stop plastering the walls of other forums with their 'Nerdrage fueled hatred.

Signed,
    Hibernia.

ps: I couldn't help but post, sorry if I went over the word limit..

Blizzard probably changed the company hours so everyone could spend an extra 10 minutes every morning admiring themselves in the mirror or masturbating in a bathtub full of awards.
    Epic lulz.

Great read, it feels so refreshing to see a sense of reason nowadays with the growing number of either rage/nerf threads going on.

Shield of Telara

Fantastic post, Homebrew. You nailed it.

Honestly, sometimes i look around these boards and wonder if everyone is just losing their minds. The "us versus them" mentality is getting out of control. If its not "insert game here is scared of rift" its "i just got back from the wow forums after making a clown of myself with a goodbye post"

As Homebrew said, Trion doesn't need that sort of support. I saw that kind of thing happening with Vanguard and that gave all Vanguard players a bad name. Don't bring that here.
    Basically I'm a part time blogger and I design my own jewellery line which is like, a mix of religious iconography kind of with a saved by the bell vibe. We're puttin on this rave in an abandoned mosque, and all the proceeds are going to that thing that happened in the middle east or africa or whatever

Soulwalker

Thumbs up Thumbs up!!

Wow, that was a really great post, The best post I've seen on this Forum. I even read it twice for the creative and epic writing. Every word is true, Good work Homebrew, 10 / 10, Make a blog and I will read it =)

Ribbheden

/clap

Well said.

Plane Touched

Thanks for sharing your story Hybernia. I understand where you're coming from. I watched a lot of my friendships collapse thanks to WOW, so there are definitely some similarities. Several of my friends dropped off the face of the Earth and for a little while I was one of them. When I resurfaced, a handful of my friends were gone and obsessed. I don't blame WoW for that though. Just like I don't blame Burger King for people's heart attacks, Jack Daniels for people's DUIs and so on.

WoW is a scapegoat for people that were mentally incapable to retain a healthy, successful existence and that's what it boils down to when long-time players rage at WoW's influence on their routine.

I totally agree with your statement about every beta etc due to WoW's presence in people's personal experiences. WoW has ultimately become the comparison for every MMO released, and I see red every time I hear that comparison broadcasted.

Ah well. Thanks for your response.

Plane Touched

I really appreciate the responses and props.

I am always welcome to people disagreeing with me, but I won't complain if I'm getting compliments.

I'd love to start a blog Ribbheden but unfortunately rants like that take a lot out of me, I usually have a busy schedule - I have another week of little to do - and I tend to quit almost everything I start.

I've considered starting a blog and challenging myself regardless but it'll probably just eat my time and I'll miss out on more, eh, productive endeavors.

Thanks again everyone.

Telaran

Really enjoyed it!

Thumbs up Awesomeness

Pure awesome!

Couldn't agree with you more. Not only was your post completely true, it was entertaining and amusing to boot. Kudos to you, Homebrew!

I'd love to start a blog Ribbheden
    You should totally start a blog, or perhaps even just create a thread each week, where you just rant about whatever has you irritated that week. I, for one, would LOVE to read it! Homebrew's Soapbox. lolz
    Last edited by Rhendali; 02-10-2011 at 01:05 PM.
    Nymaeria < Hate > : Level 50 Eth Cleric (Sentinel/Warden/Justicar) on Briarcliff
    Rhendali < Hate > : Level 50 Eth Rogue (Riftstalker/Bladedancer/Ranger) on Briarcliff

Soulwalker

I'll miss out on more, eh, productive endeavors.
    read as : sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhendali View Post
    Pure awesome!

Couldn't agree with you more. Not only was your post completely true, it was entertaining and amusing to boot. Kudos to you, Homebrew!

You should totally start a blog, or perhaps even just create a thread each week, where you just rant about whatever has you irritated that week. I, for one, would LOVE to read it! Homebrew's Soapbox. lolz
    I agree with this.

Used to go this one forum that had this guy who did that. They were HILARIOUS.
    Children of Cybertron ♥~
    -------
    Sex Life
    Tearfall: Cyrodiil Class/Class/Class Level.

IMHO most of the "hate" towards blizzard was coming from all the WoW fanbios attacking rift left and right for being a clone. I personally liked WoW but its time is over for me, big deal, I ain't gona make a goodbye video or make a rude post on the forum because a game got boring lol. People take this stuff way too seriously, it is like they have taken the virtual world as their life and the real world is just the game to be played.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast