+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Warhammer - will Rift be the final deathblow

Default Warhammer - will Rift be the final deathblow

I think so. I've no idea how the numbers look, but I can imagine Warhammer has been in a death struggle for quite some time. Will this be the end for Warhammer?
    It is such a shame, that this fine fictional universe created by Games Workshop has had its name tainted by such a failed game design. I mean, we all had our hopes up back in the days - the creators of DAoC, ground-breaking world PvP, had our hopes up!

Wish I had an insider who could tell me how the numbers for Warhammer subscribers are evolving.
    I think they've done what they could to squeeze the remaining subscriber base for money.
    Last edited by Myril; 02-10-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Warhammer was over the moment people hit 50 and realized everything about endgame was broken and lame.

They closed a couple of servers or are about too soon. It is a shame but they should have waited to release the game, I love everything about Warhammer lore. Honestly to me Rift is what WAR should have been.
    Sharuko - Guardian Mathosian Cleric
    Sharuko - Defiant Kelari Rogue
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=138502&dateline=13019  27021

Aren't they making another Warhammer MMO? You can pray that it will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramis View Post
    Aren't they making another Warhammer MMO? You can pray that it will be better.
    Yeah the Warhammer 40K MMO coming out sometime in 2013, which actually looks good.
    Sharuko - Guardian Mathosian Cleric
    Sharuko - Defiant Kelari Rogue
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=138502&dateline=13019  27021

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Utherix View Post
    Warhammer was over the moment people hit 50 and realized everything about endgame was broken and lame.
    40, actually, but yeah.

I still have a War SUb active for a few more weeks. They are dropping down to 2 US servers. Pop has dropped fast since their famous 1.4 patch which really screwed up the game.

The lower Tiers (1-3) are fun if you can find anyone to play with. But when you hit Tier 4 (Rank 40, Renown 40-100) it is horrible. Major gear imbalances. A new rank 40, 40 renown person can barely damage a rank 40, 80+ renown person and they tend to 2 or 3 shot ya, so it is little fun for new people.

Rift will hurt War, as with any new game people from War will come here to try Rift, some will stay others will go back, thats how it is. I dont think Rift alone will kill War, but it is going to hurt it.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    They closed a couple of servers or are about too soon. It is a shame but they should have waited to release the game, I love everything about Warhammer lore. Honestly to me Rift is what WAR should have been.
    More time would have done nothing to fix a terrible game system created by a terrible development team.

Champion of Telara

i thought warhammer was sick when it first came out. a game where i can level exclusively on pvp? amazing. i did that up to 35 or so playing both a BO and DoK, mainly scenarios but also some world pvp. then i ground quests up to 40 (max level) so i could compete with others in my tier and do raids with my guild and yeah. the endgame was just so terrible.

I made good use of my 3 months, but i didn't renew when the time came.

Quote Originally Posted by Myril View Post
    I think so. I've no idea how the numbers look, but I can imagine Warhammer has been in a death struggle for quite some time. Will this be the end for Warhammer?
    It is such a shame, that this fine fictional universe created by Games Workshop has had its name tainted by such a failed game design. I mean, we all had our hopes up back in the days - the creators of DAoC, ground-breaking world PvP, had our hopes up!

Wish I had an insider who could tell me how the numbers for Warhammer subscribers are evolving.
    I think they've done what they could to squeeze the remaining subscriber base for money.

Yeah, I too loved DAoC. Shame Mythic's management and greed ran the game into the ground. I hear they finally gave concentration buffs a range which they could have done long ago to solve the problem with buff bots. And a lot of the ToA item upgrades and MLs can be bought now instead of spending hours and days of grinding and raiding. But it came far too late.

After Mythic destroyed DAoC, I thought I'd never play a game with their name on it again. But of course, WAR came out, and I thought maybe since EA bought Mythic out, it might have a chance. Not that I'm an EA fan, because I'm not. But Mythic once again held the reigns, and management didn't listen to their developers and ruined yet another game. I didn't like WAR like I did DAoC. They went too WoW with it for my tastes. But it was still better PvP than in most MMOs today. This time in addition to poor decisions, they censored any mention of the hack programs that were ruining the game and refused to address it.

This is why, despite loving the Star Wars genre (I don't count episodes I, II, and III), I do not plan on even trying TOR since it's being produced by Bioware/Mythic. That game was doomed before it had a chance when EA put Mythic on it.

Oh well, it's a shame. My only hope is that one day, someone will pick up the ball Mythic fumbled with DAoC and run with it.
    Last edited by Pentegarn; 02-10-2011 at 10:55 AM.
    Fight each battle as though it were your last. For one day, it will be.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

A friend of mine is playing WAR. Has been on and off for months. Is currently playing it only because the RIFT beta isn't back up.

Yeah, WAR's dead. Was still kicking as of 1.3.6 but 1.4 was the deathblow. And Rift? It's more like the final nail in the coffin.
    Last edited by Sehnsucht; 02-10-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Sehnsucht is almost impossible to translate adequately and describes a deep emotional state.

Banned

I know Tera release in Korea and Rift release in America are hammering Aion's remaining
    servers for sure.

War is taking a beating to.

WAR had so much potential.

- Two different leveling systems - one for PvE, one for PvP (Renown)
    - They introduced Public Quests (which RIFT is now implementing)
    - Dedicated Open World PvP zones in almost every territory with castle sieges

But they rushed it to the market unfinished. They had to hold back promised classes. People ran out of content to level up on way before the level cap. Horribly clunky and unresponsive interface.

If only they had taken more time...

/shakes head

Yeah, WAR dropping to two servers is basically the end. I don't see how a game that is owned by EA will be justified to stay open much longer with only two US servers. The game might go F2P with cash shop or might just go away. I have a feeling that Mythic as a company is going to end soon too. Its remaining employees are jumping ship now and whomever is left will probably be rolled into Bioware.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast