+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Warhammer - will Rift be the final deathblow

Prophet of Telara StealthStalker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StealthStalker View Post
    As I said, trailer and / or interview. I can't locate the source that I read that in originally, but just check the official website:

http://www.darkmillenniumonline.com/

Click "Game Info" and check the last paragraph:
    Here's an interview I found for further confirmation, if you wish:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...Interview.html

MMORPG.com:
    You mentioned in another interview that there will only be two overall factions in the game. Can you explain how this will work and what armies will be working together?
    Tim Campbell:
    We are working very closely with Games Workshop to ensure that the experience that we will deliver in Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online will remain true and faithful to the IP. We know that this particular issue has been a subject of much debate. However, once we have finished revealing all of the races, classes and key storylines for the game and how they all interrelate to one another, we know that the fans are going to love it. How could they not when Games Workshop is closely working with us on making sure that the game stays true to the lore and the IP

Sorry to be the one to break the news to you.
    Last edited by StealthStalker; 02-10-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Don't forget to support Dual Targeting in SWTOR and Prime Online.
    We didn't get it here, but perhaps we can help make the next games into what they should be.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    They closed a couple of servers or are about too soon. It is a shame but they should have waited to release the game, I love everything about Warhammer lore. Honestly to me Rift is what WAR should have been.
    It's gonna be funny when daoc outlives warhammer, like AC1 outlived AC2.

Shield of Telara

I would kill for a good game studio to get there hands on the DAOC licence.

A more up to date graphics engine and DAOC BEFORE TOA RUINED IT!!!

A game where end game half or more of your gear was player crafted! And getting the gear crafted right took a calculator and hours of your time! And im a casual but I loved it.. because once you were done.. you were ready to fight!

3 realms so population was alot less of a issue. Was in many of a vent session with one of the other realms because the Albion zerg was as large as our 2 realms pop together. And we still pulled off a relic raid.

PVE but it was fun and not hours to do. Dragon Raids.. 1.5 to 2 hours max with loot hand outs at the end.. would be faster now with a auto roll system in place. Darkness falls was great.. alot of mini raids and one large raid on the big guy.. forgot his name. Great way to make in game money form seals.. had a LGM crafter in every craft so I did alot of crafting too...

DAOC 2 made like 1 but with new graphics and all the TAO pve grindfest stuff gone.. would rock.. heck with all the new physics advancements towers and keeps could look freaken awsome to take down!

Man got me droooling thinking about how much fun this would be...

But wont happen so I really like Rift and will be here playing because of that.

@W40k

Now, admittedly no one knows how the game will play out. Like I said, if it's primarily PvE two factions should be fine.

Ask anyone who took part in WAR, though, and ask them how two factions played out in the Fantasy universe. I think WAR confirmed that two factions alone can't sustain a game like that, which has PvP as an important focus.

I would hope a WH40k game would have some emphasis on PvP, too. Hell, maybe they'll just go the scenario/bg route and the population won't matter all.

Suffice to say, many see Two factions as an issue, and all we can do is wait for them to unveil this revolutionary new approach that proves otherwise.
    Last edited by StealthStalker; 02-10-2011 at 11:52 AM.

We didn't get it here, but perhaps we can help make the next games into what they should be.

Soulwalker

Warhammer is still "my" kind of game and what I like to play (ie. I dont like to PVE hardly at all) but I am making the switch to Rift.

Largely because I need a change of pace from playing T4 and being behind the gear curve and the lower tiers in WAR are so dead it's boring now.

WAR was perfect for "me" in so many ways, but yet has its issues. I would hit the RVR and level from 1-max with nothing but PVP. So nice.

I expect rift to be cool for a few months but I expect to move on because its honestly just not a PVPers game. I hope I am wrong but it certainly doesn't seem to be so. I really do like the game but just questing and doing warfronts wont hold my interest too long. I would imagine the most fun will be questing and playing the to gank or not to gank game alongside opposing factions questing in contested zone, if that even happens in this game. After that and a month or so of playing warfronts I will probably move on as I am not into ganking lowbies to get my kicks, and I would sooner slam my dong in a car door than PVE raid the same dungeon 3 times a week for 5 months to outfit a guild well enough to move to the next dungeon in the progression ladder.

I expect WAR to take a big hit from Rift release, though I expect the kind of ppl that warhammer was made for wont stay around too long before they are looking for a more PVP centered game. Going back to playing WAR after Rift beta I am amazed at just how much better the interface and entire world runs in the beta stage vs years after release for WAR.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthStalker View Post
    @W40k

Now, admittedly no one knows how the game will play out. Like I said, if it's primarily PvE two factions should be fine.

Ask anyone who took part in WAR, though, and ask them how two factions played out in the Fantasy universe. I think WAR confirmed that two factions alone can't sustain a game like that, which has PvP as an important focus.

I would hope a WH40k game would have some emphasis on PvP, too. Hell, maybe they'll just go the scenario/bg route and the population won't matter all.

Suffice to say, many see Two factions as an issue, and all we can do is wait for them to unveil this revolutionary new approach that proves otherwise.
    well you better hope rift can, the game isnt all about pve and niether will 40k its WARHAMMER, not PvEHAMMER.

and i played WAR since release, it was fine except for mythic making horrible balance chanages and never fixing bugs that have been out since luanch, its not 2 factions that killed it.

to sit here and tell me right now from a short hardly any info interview and a short trailer that 40k is going to fail because it has 2 factions makes you a blasphemer and a heretic, you should be burned at the stake.

sorry to break THAT to you.
    Last edited by Discoprince; 02-10-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by epatt250 View Post
    Warhammer is still "my" kind of game and what I like to play (ie. I dont like to PVE hardly at all) but I am making the switch to Rift.

Largely because I need a change of pace from playing T4 and being behind the gear curve and the lower tiers in WAR are so dead it's boring now.

WAR was perfect for "me" in so many ways, but yet has its issues. I would hit the RVR and level from 1-max with nothing but PVP. So nice.

I expect rift to be cool for a few months but I expect to move on because its honestly just not a PVPers game. I hope I am wrong but it certainly doesn't seem to be so. I really do like the game but just questing and doing warfronts wont hold my interest too long. I would imagine the most fun will be questing and playing the to gank or not to gank game alongside opposing factions questing in contested zone, if that even happens in this game. After that and a month or so of playing warfronts I will probably move on as I am not into ganking lowbies to get my kicks, and I would sooner slam my dong in a car door than PVE raid the same dungeon 3 times a week for 5 months to outfit a guild well enough to move to the next dungeon in the progression ladder.

I expect WAR to take a big hit from Rift release, though I expect the kind of ppl that warhammer was made for wont stay around too long before they are looking for a more PVP centered game. Going back to playing WAR after Rift beta I am amazed at just how much better the interface and entire world runs in the beta stage vs years after release for WAR.
    Rift needs a NF zone like daoc. Games have forgot that "battlefields" are fun while getting to end game, but at the end the battle fields get old fast. Having a BIG zone where people go to only pvp is king.
    Last edited by Chapel; 02-10-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled_heretic View Post
    40, actually, but yeah.
    Haha, yeah. Maybe if the game was better I would have remembered :-D

Here a video of one of the first world kills of one of WAR's exciting dungeon bosses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOlHPS0zH9A

*sarcasm* I mean, that fight was so epic! What great endgame content, Mythic, Thanks! *sarcasm*
    Last edited by Utherix; 02-10-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: added more sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Discoprince View Post
    well you better hope rift can, the game isnt all about pve and niether will 40k its WARHAMMER, not PvEHAMMER.

and i played WAR since release, it was fine except for mythic making horrible balance chanages and never fixing bugs that have been out since luanch, its not 2 factions that killed it.

to sit here and tell me right now from a short hardly any info interview and a short trailer that 40k is going to fail because it has 2 factions makes you a blasphemer and a heretic, you should be burned at the stake.

sorry to break THAT to you.
    I too have played WAR since release, and two factions is just one of many issues it had, quite true. For me, personally, I'd consider it the largest. It may have not been that big of an issue for you, but it definitely was and continues to be for me.

I'm coming to Rift knowing they don't have an "RvR lake", a "frontier", or anything for World PvP beyond the newly introduced Wardstones, and they have Raids and Rifts, and Rift Raids.. That's fine with me, I know what's coming. Rift is bringing everything to the table, and not just "RvR". How will it play out end game? Who knows? Maybe the Ancient Wardstones will get further developed, maybe there's a new frontier zone, hooray! Then again, maybe not and the game ends up being a disappointment.

Rift also has something WAR didn't, it has two player factions but the Planar elements can easily be seen as a third balancing faction. Whether that gets utilized is anyone's guess. It also has a dev team that seems rather in tune with the community, as mentioned the introduction of Wardstones is an interesting development and I hope they get flushed out. The fact that it's an original IP helps out a lot as well, if they ever wanted to add in a third faction, you know what? They could easily do so. Just like a new frontier, anything.

Dark Millennium could also do the same (with a third NPC faction..), so you're right we have no idea. I don't know too much honestly about the lore, beyond what I've discovered in the DoW games I've played and things I've read. So maybe we could see, I dunno, Tyranid as an NPC faction? Rift style invasions and encounters taking over objectives in a frontier type zone!

The point is, after playing WAR for so long, I'm a bit more skeptical now about any MMO that gets developed with the IP. Two factions in a "RvR" game just doesn't set well with me, and until their new innovative take on it sees the light of day, it'll weigh heavily on the topic.
    Last edited by StealthStalker; 02-10-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Utherix View Post
    Haha, yeah. Maybe if the game was better I would have remembered :-D

Here a video of one of the first world kills of one of WAR's exciting dungeon bosses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOlHPS0zH9A

*sarcasm* I mean, that fight was so epic! What great endgame content, Mythic, Thanks! *sarcasm*
    There were some fairly difficult dungeon bosses - especially in ToVL, but half of the difficult (especially boss 3) was in them bugging out and going psycho. Then you had bosses like Boss 4 or Tchar'Zanek that could be beat by simply standing in one place and beating the snot out of them... So much potential... SO much disappointment. They rushed the game to release paying so much attention to the early content, then assumed they could fix end game before anyone got there... And then they just kept making the end game worse.
    "You did me no wrong calling me a raven, or thinking me one, you allowed me existence which is the sum of what one can demand of his fellow beings." -- Mr. Raven "Lilith" by George MacDonald

Thulmann - Rogue - Ascension

Plane Touched

I've only ever seen, in recent history, one "major" MMO shut its doors: Matrix Online.

I think there have been one or two more that halted development, but remained online.

I think they'll be keeping Warhammer Online... online... for as long as it is profitable to do so, and you don't need very many subscribers to do that (maybe 100k-150k, I think.)

Still, it could happen. I hope this makes IP holders a bit more cautious about licensing their property out to a developer.

what has steadily killed WAR is EA putting in the cash then demanding WOW2.

So you get 2 factions

So you get end game of a world PVP game where your required to do lame progression dungeons to get to fight in whats supposed to be the final epic city battle final stage

So you get believing own hype and launching with way way too many servers

So you get LoTD a frikin PVE expansion that killed t3 RVR.

Later they fix the game engine, dump GOA and stuff, alter end game so you dont have to PVE for crappy wards and the game plays much smoother - BUT half the players have left, and many of them are going round telling everyone about awful lag that doesn't exist anymore.

The game was then pretty darn good apart from the only 2 realm problem.

THEN

EA think "we can use this game to see how much money we can milk out of star wars" and start introducing item store stuff on top of subscription.

Then comes 1.4 "expansion" - they set max RR to 100 instead of 80 and put wow style "SUPALEETWTFPWN" gear into the game for people at those ranks and sneak 5 extra "hidden" PVE levels into it too. Oh and some crappy lore breaking LOTR style monster play that people play maybe twice then pack in. They also dumb down how the rvr lakes work, like having defenders rez inside keeps ffs! You have to pay for this **** if you want to compete.

All that matters in WAR pvp now is gear and RR, you could spec stupidly, play badly as team, hell not even play as a team at all. Because if you out RR your opponent you will pretty much allways win.

The game is not supported at all, you should see the number of rift vs war posts on warhammers forum, no one shuts them down. They havent had a producers letter thing since last year. They have given up on the game and are just using it to try out ways to make more money with star wars. So the players are giving up on WAR back, me included.

krilly... very accurately put... played it since beta will be closing my account this month

Quote Originally Posted by krilly View Post
    what has steadily killed WAR is EA putting in the cash then demanding WOW2.

So you get 2 factions

So you get end game of a world PVP game where your required to do lame progression dungeons to get to fight in whats supposed to be the final epic city battle final stage

So you get believing own hype and launching with way way too many servers

So you get LoTD a frikin PVE expansion that killed t3 RVR.

Later they fix the game engine, dump GOA and stuff, alter end game so you dont have to PVE for crappy wards and the game plays much smoother - BUT half the players have left, and many of them are going round telling everyone about awful lag that doesn't exist anymore.

The game was then pretty darn good apart from the only 2 realm problem.

THEN

EA think "we can use this game to see how much money we can milk out of star wars" and start introducing item store stuff on top of subscription.

Then comes 1.4 "expansion" - they set max RR to 100 instead of 80 and put wow style "SUPALEETWTFPWN" gear into the game for people at those ranks and sneak 5 extra "hidden" PVE levels into it too. Oh and some crappy lore breaking LOTR style monster play that people play maybe twice then pack in. They also dumb down how the rvr lakes work, like having defenders rez inside keeps ffs! You have to pay for this **** if you want to compete.

All that matters in WAR pvp now is gear and RR, you could spec stupidly, play badly as team, hell not even play as a team at all. Because if you out RR your opponent you will pretty much allways win.

The game is not supported at all, you should see the number of rift vs war posts on warhammers forum, no one shuts them down. They havent had a producers letter thing since last year. They have given up on the game and are just using it to try out ways to make more money with star wars. So the players are giving up on WAR back, me included.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3