+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to Aion that it seems to have lost it's appeal?

Default What happened to Aion that it seems to have lost it's appeal?

I wanted to really try that game out but never did. It looked really sharp from the Promo dept. Oh' well, seems like I didn't lose out. Crossing my fingers this game will hold the test of time.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I was really curious about Aion until I found out that PvP wasn't optional. Never looked at it again.

Rift Disciple

Aion is the definition of GRIND . A gold farmers paradise and grief fest. all of witch were fail for the majority of folks. It could have been a contender but it fell short.

I never had the chance of playing (looking at giving it a go if they ever put out a free-trial deal), but I think the primary problem, a lot of people had, was the grind-like feeling it had. From what friends told me, after three months of straight questing and barely hitting max level in a couple weeks was too much.

I personal don't care how long it takes, as long as it's entertaining the entire way through.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I was really curious about Aion until I found out that PvP wasn't optional. Never looked at it again.
    Wait...you mean there was no PVE server or any way to avoid PVP?

It had pretty much no fun content outside of grinding mobs endlessly past level 20 or so... they fixed a lot of that in later content patches, increased drop rates, experience gains, etc. But at this point the game just had too much bad press. Rift, shares a lot of qualities with it, even down to the story, but that's perfectly fine, it's making them much better, like it is damned near every concept it's borrowed.

Aion suffered from lack of content, and a... very non-western balance for the leveling curve. It had great concepts, the cryengine was GORGEOUS and scaled very well to both high and low end systems. It had great potential, and some very interesting ideas. It just didn't deliver in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by _devilscry View Post
    Wait...you mean there was no PVE server or any way to avoid PVP?
    Sort of kind of.... you could avoid PvP, but it was a VERY big part of the game. the area known as the Abyss was broken in to layers and islands, and almost all of the high-level stuff was done here, better gear and money than questing in the zones. And aside from doing repeatables in the zones, at max level, there was no reason to be anywhere but the Abyss.
    Last edited by Naria; 02-09-2011 at 07:21 PM.

I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

Champion of Telara

Not enough quest to sustain a level at 28 .. at 45 it is a total nightmare.. at 50 you're doing fenril and miragents crafts which pretty much never succeeds.. The end game ultimately made me quit.

Soulwalker

Aion isn't a bad game, just different. It fell victim to the same type of people that try and shut down Rift before it even begins. Hopefully, people are smarter this time around.

Rift Disciple too_legit_to_rift's Avatar

Asmo sorcs ruined aion 4 everyone

PvP was terrible. Flight was terrible. Drop rates were non-existent. "Aion" is also a widely-used synonym in the English lexical vocabulary for "grind." Farming was terrible. Rewards were weak and near unattainable. Massive luck mechanics prevented a lot of people from getting things done.

I could go on...

Wait...Aion had appeal?

Quote Originally Posted by Edithkeeler View Post
    Aion isn't a bad game, just different. It fell victim to the same type of people that try and shut down Rift before it even begins. Hopefully, people are smarter this time around.
    Spot on , enjoyed original Lineage 2 myself , Korean version , and enjoyed Aion a bit also , the amount of whining from folks who said it was "too hard" and the fact devs caved in immediately made me leave Aion.

Quote Originally Posted by _devilscry View Post
    I never had the chance of playing (looking at giving it a go if they ever put out a free-trial deal), but I think the primary problem, a lot of people had, was the grind-like feeling it had. From what friends told me, after three months of straight questing and barely hitting max level in a couple weeks was too much.

I personal don't care how long it takes, as long as it's entertaining the entire way through.
    Yeah, I thought by now that 10 day trial would be running. How do you expect to get more subs if you dont take a chance. Bad strategic plan if you ask me.

It was riddled with gold sellers. The auction house was not an option for selling and making money due to their deliberate under priced materials and such. Not to mention the amount of blocking one had to do.
    The raiding of forts was fun, except for the insane lag issues most people had. 100 - 150 odd people in one building all firing off spells and such would cripple most.
    Very boring quests. Kill a certain amount of mobs and return mostly.
    Other than that it could have been a good game.

Edit: Oh and the mentality of the masses. Need I say more.
    Last edited by Josaline; 02-09-2011 at 07:26 PM.

I never made it past 30 because the grind... oh the grind. There were hardly any quests, I struggled to reach 30 as it was. Quests became few and far between, I had no way to get from 30 to 32 aside from doing daily quests, which awarded practically no xp at all.

The flying was a neat concept, but poorly executed. You could only fly in a few certain areas, which were mostly questless. And flight time was very limited. Aion turned out to be a disappointment for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast