+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Do you tip at restaurants or no?

It all depends on the culture. In my home country, its not a custom to tip, so I won't. However, where it is a custom, I pay 10-20%.

Basically I behave in accordance to the culture around me. Yup, a damn annoying tourist.
    Play to Crush.

I do tip if I like the food / service etc, otherwise nope.

Plane Touched

If its a good looking female i tip by giving my phone number along with a nice crisp 50 if its a bro or some ugly ho, i just give them the usual 15-20%
    Mainspec - Casual melter - Hardcore PvP rogue
    -- Guild Unstable --
    www.Unstablerift.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vextagora View Post
    Because it is the individuals that have NEVER waited a table in their lives that normally don't understand just how much a diva and self deserving fool people can be when it comes to "do your job" service.

On a side note, most wait staff in the states are paid a wage of only $2 per hour, tips are used to supplement it to hopefully get them to minimum wage. If it doesn't then some are nice and offer a difference to get them to minimum wage -- but I doubt many places do that any longer.. this was done when I was 16. I waited the table of Eddie Murphy once, he tipped me a $100 bill, then again his bill came to $2k (this was in 1990 mind you). It was then I decided I was going to make money... and return the favor in whatever capacity I could once I was earning a respectable income.

And so I do..
    U.S. Federal Law still requires that if a server's wage + tips does not equal Minimum Wage, the employer must pay the difference...

So for those who choose to not tip or undertip, if it keeps up, you'll start seeing food prices go up...you'll know why. The employers have to get their money from somewhere for the extra they're having to payout to their employees.

As for myself?

I tend to over-tip...usually 25%+, unless it wasn't the best service, then I do 10-15% at the most. There is only one time I actually did not tip in my life, but when your server blatantly ignores everyone else in your party except you and can't keep the drinks refilled, then you don't deserve one.

My mother is a server so her tips is how she/we got by when I was younger, so I can be a bit biased.
    "There are only three things worth living (and dying) for: Love in all its manifestations, Freedom, and the chance to keep humanity going a little while longer."

Soulwalker

One of the big problems with tipping in many parts of the US, is that the tip doesn't go directly to the person who served you. They go into a community tip pool that is then divided out at the end of the shift so that poor servers get the same amount of tips as the good ones. My son worked for a place such as that for a while.

As my first, non-babysitting job, involved waiting tables at a truck stop, I can relate to the waiters and waitresses, so I make sure I tip (again, as I've previously said, local custom depending). I can also honestly say, that as a guy waiting tables in a truck stop.. tips suck.

I tip because it's considered standard practice.

Personally, I think the restaurant business needs to get up to date. There's no reason they should be charging 2 - 5 times as much as fast food shop for barely higher quality and still only pay the wait staff in peanuts.

From my perspective, this shows a lack of respect for the customers. The wait staff is the face of the business for the customers, and they're not willing to pay them a decent wage, instead expecting to squeeze even more money out of the customers for vastly inflated product and average service.

Now if the wait staff goes beyond normal expectations they would certainly deserve attention. But look at any other industry, that's not expected to come from the customer's pockets.

No offense to waiters and waitresses, I just think the industry needs an overhaul.
    A foe without honor is a foe already beaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor Kalivos View Post
    Pretty simple. I know that there are a lot of cheapskates in this world, so please come and out yourselves in this thread! And provide your reasoning if you flat out refuse to ever tip!
    it depends. if i got a nice service i usually leave a good tip, if not then i won't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8