+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Do you tip at restaurants or no?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Zizette View Post
    Perfect person to ask!!! How much is an ok tip and how much is a good tip for the Pizza guy?
    I usually tip the pizza guy about $3. I think that's somewhat generous for this market. If you live a big city like Atlanta or Philly or somewhere, you might consider tipping a dollar or two more.

We don't tip in Australia - but I believe hospitality staff are paid something respectable so there isn't a great need for it.

Shadowlander

I live in the U.S. so yeah. On delivery, too.

15 to 20%-ish. Less if the service isn't up to par.

Depending on service. if all they do is fill my tea, then, maybe 10%.. if they actually take my order and bring it and keep my tea filled and plates cleaned off. then based on how attentive.. 15 to 20% but i will leave less if the level of service is sub-par.

its a service job, they are getting some , they make most on tips, so if they want more from me, they have to earn it.
    Drive it like u stole it

I almost always tip. Restaurants, delivery drivers, crafters in MMOs lol ... I just feel they earned it.

When someone is a true *******, then nothing.
    "I'm not afraid of death. It's the stake one puts up in order to play the game of life."

Here they already charge a service tax, usually 10%, so there's no reason to tip.

Watch Reservoir Dogs restaurant "who did not tip" scene.
    See Mr. Pink's responses to the question "Why did you not tip?"
    That's me (except for the subsequent insult thrown his way).

I do a very demanding job , customer facing and make a ton of money for my huge, evil, American tech company. My pay in no way reflects the income I generate and yet the customer never feels the pressure or compulsion to tip me even a penny.

Conversely there are lots of minimum-wage jobs that supposedly "depend" on tips but then many minimum-wage jobs that are not lucky enough to get tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Intruder313 View Post
    Watch Reservoir Dogs restaurant "who did not tip" scene.
    See Mr. Pink's responses to the question "Why did you not tip?"
    That's me (except for the subsequent insult thrown his way).

I do a very demanding job , customer facing and make a ton of money for my huge, evil, American tech company. My pay in no way reflects the income I generate and yet the customer never feels the pressure or compulsion to tip me even a penny.

Conversely there are lots of minimum-wage jobs that supposedly "depend" on tips but then many minimum-wage jobs that are not lucky enough to get tips.
    The problem is that minimum wage for most jobs is $7.25 an hour.

Minimum wage for restaurant workers is $2.13 an hour.

You do the math. Again I say if you're not going to tip or can't afford it - you shouldn't be going to a full service restaurant.
    "You did me no wrong calling me a raven, or thinking me one, you allowed me existence which is the sum of what one can demand of his fellow beings." -- Mr. Raven "Lilith" by George MacDonald

Thulmann - Rogue - Ascension

Quote Originally Posted by Thulmann View Post

Minimum wage for restaurant workers is $2.13 an hour.
    Depends on the state.

Quote Originally Posted by desertyeti View Post
    Haha, I always overtip for the same reason. I worked in bars and restaurants for for just shy of 10 years. I think a lot of people don't really realize how little servers and bartenders actually make without tips. When I started as a server in the 90's (god I'm old) we made $2.13/hr. When I quit my last bartending job 5 years ago minimum wage for servers was at $3.50/hour. Really hard to make a living if people aren't tipping that way.

Also, I always knew that if someone actually brought up the fact that they used to be a server when I was waiting on them, I knew I was in for a crappy tip. Don't know why that was, but it was almost always the case.
    So glad Oregon is different. Minimum ($8.40) + tips usually ends up around 30/hr on a steady night and a friday/saturday night I've made over 50/hr.

But working the industry I can't not tip. Even if your service made me walk out, I'll still leave something on the table. And if your service (not the food/drink) made me want to come back, you bet I'm leaving you at least 40%
    Last edited by schi; 02-11-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    So many choices... So little time.

Yes.

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by Calreth View Post
    Here they already charge a service tax, usually 10%, so there's no reason to tip.
    That's not true. Most places I have worked only charge gratuity on tables with more than 8-10 people. And yes, you don't have to tip, but with the way most states work it is expected that tips will average their income to at least minimum wage.
    So many choices... So little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor Kalivos View Post
    Depends on the state.
    Correct, but that is the federal standard - and followed by most states.
    "You did me no wrong calling me a raven, or thinking me one, you allowed me existence which is the sum of what one can demand of his fellow beings." -- Mr. Raven "Lilith" by George MacDonald

Thulmann - Rogue - Ascension

Quote Originally Posted by Calreth View Post
    If you go to the same restaurant a lot there is a reason to tip. People do remember those things.

But once you tip they expect you to tip every time, so don't overtip the first time lol.

I worked as a waiter for years while i was in college, so I always tip even for lousy service. I made $2.13 an hour when I waited tables, so no matter how bad the service no human being should have to try to subsist on that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast