+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Do you tip at restaurants or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Malkavia View Post
    I tip $0.01 usually i get nasty waiters and lazy waitresses who are on the phone ignoring their tables. On the off chance I get a friendly waiter/waitress who does their job properly I usually leave a large tip. Gotta even out somewhere.
    Malkavia.. are you in Canada?

I tip pretty well. Don't really do a % based calculation though, cause that requires either a calculator or me thinking....rather just hand over a nice amount and hope it made them happy.
    Main Character: Chranos - Cleric, Shatterbone

Ascendant

I usually tip 20%+ on the bill+tax if it is good service. I tip 20% on the bill without tax if it is bad service.

It is how they make their living.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    Partial frontal nudity if on time, full if they were faster
    This is correct.

I tip.

/10char
    Vhoux - Incarnate - Retired '10
    Remedy - Ashstone(PvP) - Guardian - Current
    "Don't try to cover the sky with the palm of your hand"

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Vextagora View Post
    Malkavia.. are you in Canada?
    Nope I live in florida, might as well be Quebec though nothing but rude people everywhere.

i was a waiter so i am all about the service, tipping ranges from 2%-20% for restaurants

i worked as a pizza delivery when i was younger got a usual 2%-3% i suggest 8% or more if you want good unmessed with food...

other than that its based on personality, ability, intelligence...
    Baaaaah

If you can't afford to tip, don't go to a sit-down restaurant or bar. Enough said.

I typically tip 20-30% or more. In the last week in 2 restaurants I frequent I've had the owner 'forget' to add 2 beers to a tab. I've also had the staff at the other establishment give me 3 drinks after paying. I still tip for what I'm not charged.

If you take care of them, they take care of you. They call me by name when I walk in. I don't wait for drinks, even in a crowded bar. Being a good tipper does a ton to improve the service you get in a restaurant.
    "You did me no wrong calling me a raven, or thinking me one, you allowed me existence which is the sum of what one can demand of his fellow beings." -- Mr. Raven "Lilith" by George MacDonald

Thulmann - Rogue - Ascension

Telaran

No, tipping isn't a large part of the british culture. I recently visited America myself and was taken aback at how tips are just expected without effort.

A tip is earned, you earn it by going above and beyond your job description. Some mexican guy demanded that i tip him after he loaded my luggage aboard a coach which im pretty damn sure was part of his job so i told him if he asks for a tip he isn't getting squat.

Another cabbie went through about an hour of traffic to pick me up and take me to my hotel, he deserved the tip i gave him for the more substantial effort he put into it.

TL;DR Tips are earned, they shouldn't just be expected.

I will only tip if I am serviced well simple as that!

I tip for good service.

I don't mean hands-and-knees-lick-my-feet service. But if a waiter didn't provide an enjoyable experience....I don't usually tip.

Also depends where you are. Pretty much anywhere outside of the US and Europe, I just tip as a rule. Sometimes 15% is more then their weekly earnings
    Officer of Legacy, Keenblade.

Prestige Rank 8 -- 4/10 HK -- Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Satiar View Post
    I don't mean hands-and-knees-lick-my-feet service.
    Some people pay good money for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagant View Post
    I recently visited America myself and was taken aback at how tips are just expected without effort.

A tip is earned, you earn it by going above and beyond your job description. Some mexican guy demanded that i tip him after he loaded my luggage aboard a coach which im pretty damn sure was part of his job so i told him if he asks for a tip he isn't getting squat.

TL;DR Tips are earned, they shouldn't just be expected.
    One of the unfortunate thing about American labor laws is that tipping is expected and factored into a person's expected wage. Most servers only make 2-3 dollars and hour, plus tips. If that doesn't go over minimum wage then the employer has to pay them enough so they at least made minimum wage. So in a restaurant - your server on a slow night isn't making minimum wage...
    "You did me no wrong calling me a raven, or thinking me one, you allowed me existence which is the sum of what one can demand of his fellow beings." -- Mr. Raven "Lilith" by George MacDonald

Thulmann - Rogue - Ascension

Telaran

What does everyone consider an enjoyable experience? Just wondering what people expect out of going out to eat.

18% for average service, more for good service, less for bad.

As for delivery guys it depends on the quantity of the order, the distance, the weather and the timeliness. If the guy takes 45 minutes to carry my cheese fries and milkshake two blocks - 20%, on the other hand you get some delivery guys who ride their bicycle over a mile through sleet and icy rain and get my food to me while it is still piping hot - in that case I'm happy to give the guy 50%.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast