+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you tip at restaurants or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrodiil View Post
    I work in a restaurant and all I hear all day at work is how bad people tip. So yes, I generally over tip. Unless the service is horrid.
    Tearfall ftw.

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

(Actually I tip very generously, but I <3 that movie.)

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerdale View Post
    I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

(Actually I tip very generously, but I <3 that movie.)
    Steve Buscemi ftw

Australian here and we don't tip because we get paid more :P

also why should you tip if it was an average service? so what you came and gave us food and drink when we asked, that's your job don't expect extra without putting more in, just makes you greedy expecting tips without preforming 110%
    Last edited by Vandrin; 02-09-2011 at 08:36 PM.

opps wrong thread and yes I do tip and over scale because I've worked in tip job that count mostly on tips for the true income..
    Last edited by Purrgatory; 02-09-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Who said Rift has no flying!?

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor Kalivos View Post
    Pretty simple. I know that there are a lot of cheapskates in this world, so please come and out yourselves in this thread! And provide your reasoning if you flat out refuse to ever tip!
    I start at 25%. If they impress me it could easily go to 30%, if they start screwing up (i.e. I'm waiting 5+ minutes on drink refill, 2+ if I'm eating Indian/Mexican), incorrect order, bad timing on courses, etc. then it starts going down. If you're superb or if the dinner totals more than $200, I start at 35%.

I've tipped less than 15% twice. Once, the ***** got $0.50 to and I quote "Call your mother to pick you up, as I do not believe your IQ allows you to even drive yourself home" -- she deserved it, I assure you, I could have been FAR worse. And another time, where I totally forgot to tip at all (I paid cash, something I rarely do anymore ever since the advent of the Visa Check Card) and just totally forgot, as I was not in the habit of paying cash anymore. It was an out of state restaurant and when I attempted to find who she was, the management was of no help.. if ever I get back there, I'll try to see if she is still there (unlikely, but, I'll still try).. and will likely have a $100 bill waiting for her if only based on principle of the matter.

Yes, I tip fairly well.

I go for at least 10% unless the waiter was bad (made me wait too much, screwed something up etc.).
    Sebas - Mage
    <Standing on the Shoulders of Giants>

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrin View Post
    also why should you tip if it was an average service?
    Because it is the individuals that have NEVER waited a table in their lives that normally don't understand just how much a diva and self deserving fool people can be when it comes to "do your job" service.

On a side note, most wait staff in the states are paid a wage of only $2 per hour, tips are used to supplement it to hopefully get them to minimum wage. If it doesn't then some are nice and offer a difference to get them to minimum wage -- but I doubt many places do that any longer.. this was done when I was 16. I waited the table of Eddie Murphy once, he tipped me a $100 bill, then again his bill came to $2k (this was in 1990 mind you). It was then I decided I was going to make money... and return the favor in whatever capacity I could once I was earning a respectable income.

And so I do..

I don't follow the X% rule. I follow my $5 per person rule. Regardless of the bill (Hey my friends like steak, I like salad), they get $5 per person at my table. You gave a cook an order, gave me a drink and gave a plate to me, I think $5 a person is pretty fair considering the total of 10 minutes of actual work involved, maybe.

Good service => 20% (more if I'm coming back soon)
    Average service => 15%
    Poor service => 1%

Being a regular and tipping well opens a new world to you. What goes around comes around.

I also try to warn them up front that I'm in one of the professions that waiters most hate to have as customers.
    One of the worst films ever made by western civilization was scripted entirely in Esperanto. That's not a coincidence.

Don't know what Esperanto is? That's not a coincidence either.

William Shatner had the leading role. That's .... well, I think you get the idea.

Not when I lived in Japan. Sometimes still don't now that I'm back in the states out of habit.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Plane Touched

Heck yes I tip.

Also, tip your pizza delivery guy. I delivered pizzas as a second job one summer, I was sad at how many people didn't tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Archellion View Post
    Heck yes I tip.

Also, tip your pizza delivery guy. I delivered pizzas as a second job one summer, I was sad at how many people didn't tip.
    Perfect person to ask!!! How much is an ok tip and how much is a good tip for the Pizza guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Zizette View Post
    Perfect person to ask!!! How much is an ok tip and how much is a good tip for the Pizza guy?
    Partial frontal nudity if on time, full if they were faster
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

Telaran

I tip $0.01 usually i get nasty waiters and lazy waitresses who are on the phone ignoring their tables. On the off chance I get a friendly waiter/waitress who does their job properly I usually leave a large tip. Gotta even out somewhere.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast