+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you tip at restaurants or no?

RIFT Fan Site Operator EntreNous's Avatar

I always tip ... even if service is horrible. I've seen to many times where service was bad, not being fault of the actual server.

My breakdown ..

Good to excelent = 20% of bill
    Bad to mediocre = double the tax on the bill.
    RiftRares ... A work in progress.
    Rogue on FaeBlight
    8/8 RR's ... 4/4 DH ... 4/4 GP ... 5/5 GsB ... 5/5 RoS ... 2/4 RotP ... 10/11 HK

Prophet of Telara

I tip at minimum 20%...
    True skill comes without effort

I tip if I have the money. If their are nice especially. Its just proper in America to do that.
    The mind of man rests on a delicate balance between reality - the world of light, and the other darker world below the threshold of consciousness... and it is from this world of darkness which comes the evil destructive forces in man's nature

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire82 View Post
    Yes, usually overly generous (20-30% if they were friendly and accommodating). I'd be ashamed not to. You can tell a lot about a person's character by the way they treat those who serve them.
    This. As someone who has been on the other side of the tips, I always make it a point to tip those who serve me.

Typically I tip by doubling tax, which results in slightly over 20%. I've only run into service so awful I didn't tip twice.

Sometimes you think the service is slow and the food gets to you steaming hot. That might mean it was the kitchen and not the server. I've found a better gauge of service is whether my drink is refilled promptly.

My parents are total cheapskates, and keep trying to tip two bucks no matter how much food they ordered. I've been working to train them out of that, and have stepped in a few times to throw extra money on the table when I think they're being cheap. Tips make up too much of our waitstaff's wages to skimp - especially when you have enough money to go out in the first place.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I tip about 20%, round-to-nearest, sometimes a bit more. I don't think I've had "bad service" in the last decade or so where I could reasonably blame the waiter, usually it's stuff like a giant crowd of 18 people with screaming kids. I've known waiters, their salaries are usually below minimum wage with the expectation that tips will fill in the gaps, and I figure they're not usually overly wealthy.

Rift Disciple

hello...

my name is Synn, and I'm an overtipper.

I've been an overtipper for the past 10 years or so, ever since i was a server at my local steakhouse and another seafood place while i was in college. having done it firsthand, i know what a pain in the rump job it is and try to make sure the servers know/like me when i come in.

I always seem to get the ones that have that I don't want to be at work on a Friday night attitude.
    Or my glass sits there empty 1/3 the time I'm there.
    Or they completely ignore my wife like shes not even sitting there.
    ie: she asks a question & they answer the question to me.

& then they expect a tip....
    So i guess my answer is its directly dependent on the service i get.

Quote Originally Posted by Synnful View Post
    hello...

my name is Synn, and I'm an overtipper.

I've been an overtipper for the past 10 years or so, ever since i was a server at my local steakhouse and another seafood place while i was in college. having done it firsthand, i know what a pain in the rump job it is and try to make sure the servers know/like me when i come in.

Haha, I always overtip for the same reason. I worked in bars and restaurants for for just shy of 10 years. I think a lot of people don't really realize how little servers and bartenders actually make without tips. When I started as a server in the 90's (god I'm old) we made $2.13/hr. When I quit my last bartending job 5 years ago minimum wage for servers was at $3.50/hour. Really hard to make a living if people aren't tipping that way.

Also, I always knew that if someone actually brought up the fact that they used to be a server when I was waiting on them, I knew I was in for a crappy tip. Don't know why that was, but it was almost always the case.

Quote Originally Posted by desertyeti View Post
    Haha, I always overtip for the same reason. I worked in bars and restaurants for for just shy of 10 years. I think a lot of people don't really realize how little servers and bartenders actually make without tips. When I started as a server in the 90's (god I'm old) we made $2.13/hr. When I quit my last bartending job 5 years ago minimum wage for servers was at $3.50/hour. Really hard to make a living if people aren't tipping that way.
    So happy California doesn't allow the whole "tipped job" expectation shenangians like some states. When I was in Tennessee a friend of mine was a bag boy, and was considered a tipped job.. He made $2.18 an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor Kalivos View Post
    Pretty simple. I know that there are a lot of cheapskates in this world, so please come and out yourselves in this thread! And provide your reasoning if you flat out refuse to ever tip!
    I only tip if the service was superior.
    Being curteus and polite is whats expected, they need to make my dining experience more than it would have been without them.

They're already paid to do their job, im not going to pay them extra for doing it just good enough.

Nobody ever paid me extra just because I did my job at the required level.

I put the Sexy in Dyslexia.

Quote Originally Posted by Seekel View Post
    I only tip if the service was superior.
    Being curteus and polite is whats expected, they need to make my dining experience more than it would have been without them.

They're already paid to do their job, im not going to pay them extra for doing it just good enough.

Nobody ever paid me extra just because I did my job at the required level.
    In all fairness, you're in Australia, where they are generally better paid than they are in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor Kalivos View Post
    In all fairness, you're in Australia, where they are generally better paid than they are in the states.
    So they should be, they have *******s like me that dont tip.

I put the Sexy in Dyslexia.

I rarely tip, if ever.

I'm poor enough as it is (food is expensive ) and they usually already charge service tax anyway.

Rather than tipping I'd rather donate my money to Guide Dogs of Australia because they have those adorable dog statue ...

I work in a restaurant and all I hear all day at work is how bad people tip. So yes, I generally over tip. Unless the service is horrid.
    Children of Cybertron ♥~
    -------
    Sex Life
    Tearfall: Cyrodiil Class/Class/Class Level.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast